Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Tortoise Health and Vets

Old 16-08-2012, 02:46 AM   #1
Candy
Egg

Default So confused about what I was just told about my Desert Tortoise with an URI

I have two Desert Tortoises that I have rescued from my sons classroom. These tortoises were kept inside the classroom for 15 years in a playpen. The teacher explained to me that she had the kids take them out every once in a while so they could graze in some weeds outside in the school yard. The teacher finally let me take them home after she had come in and found one of them hanging from the netting on the side of the playpen. I've had them at my house now for around 10 months. I have another male Desert Tortoise that is around 40 to 50 years old that I have to keep them away from. Recently these two have started the head bobbing with each other. Although I have not seen any mouth opening between the two my son said he did the other day. So now I'm trying my best to keep them separated and have contacted the teacher and she has given me permission to find good homes for them. Now to my question: I contacted the Pasadena CTTC group where I live to see if they could help in adopting them out. She told me that if one has a URI than the other usually does too. I told her that the other one does not have a URI and she said because it's been exposed to it that when it gets stressed now it would end up with one too. That's how they are she explained to me. From there she told me that they usually euthanize them because they can't guarantee the tortoise would be going to a home that doesn't have another tortoise so there for they can't assure that it wouldn't get sick and that their tortoise and turtle club won't do that. She told me that their's is probably the only one who does this so if I'd like to call one of the others that I could. I told her that I would prefer to do that. Now I'm totally confused about this. My other tortoise had an URI and now he's fine. I don't understand what she's told me at all and would love some feedback from you guys.
Candy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2012, 08:48 AM   #2
Bindi
Super Moderator
Adult

I'm being thick but by URI fo you mean a respiratory infection? Was there any moisture from the nares ?
Old 16-08-2012, 11:38 AM   #3
MeImNot
Incubating

Thats a pretty drastic measure...euthanize a tortoise cos if she MAY get stressed the RI symptoms MAY show. It seems that the only way is if you keep them both. To tell you the truth I've read something similiar to what this lady told you about Gophers...but they never said that they euthanize them...they just leave them on their own.
MeImNot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2012, 11:59 AM   #4
egyptiandan64
Super Moderator
Adult

Maybe a couple of specific questions will get the ball rolling Candy, now that we know most of the background information

URI stands for Upper Respiratory Infection, Bindi

Danny
Old 16-08-2012, 04:01 PM   #5
Candy
Egg

#1 question: Once they have an Upper Respiratory Infection will it they always carry it in them even if you think you've cleared it up with Baytril?

#2 question: Do people actually euthanize them because of this problem?

#3 question: Is it mostly because they are stressed due to other tortoises that this comes out in them?
Old 16-08-2012, 04:20 PM   #6
MeImNot
Incubating

There are a lots of theories but imo no 100% answers...just assumptions. I've dealt with this and this is what I think.

#1: I've read several articles that say that they may remain carriers especially if the infection is caused by a certain mycoplasma.

#2: This is cruelty, they are able to lead a normal life if not re-infected, maybe on their own (in captivity) if there's concern that they may infect others.

#3: I'm not sure about this, mine (not a desert tortoise) was all alone and she still got an URI...its very possible that stress may trigger it.

Take a look at this if you have time http://www.jwildlifedis.org/content/36/2/272.full.pdf
Old 16-08-2012, 07:38 PM   #7
Bindi
Super Moderator
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by egyptiandan64 View Post
Maybe a couple of specific questions will get the ball rolling Candy, now that we know most of the background information

URI stands for Upper Respiratory Infection, Bindi

Danny
Thanks Dan

[quote=Candy;560998]#1 question: Once they have an Upper Respiratory Infection will it they always carry it in them even if you think you've cleared it up with Baytril?
I believe that can be the case, yes, but it can lay dormant with very little problems, for years. I have Med Spur Thighs, one was very prone when I got him but he's had no problems for the last 3 years or so. I put this down to him now being settled and in the right environment

#2 question: Do people actually euthanize them because of this problem?
I have never personally heard of people euthanizing them because of this problem, at least, not in the UK

#3 question: Is it mostly because they are stressed due to other tortoises that this comes out in them
Possibly. It can often occur when a new tort is introduced into a group Stress lowers the immune system and so any underlying problems can come to the fore. Other things can set it off though, poor husbandry being one of them.
Old 17-08-2012, 08:53 PM   #8
Candy
Egg

Thank you all for your responses. I love that website that MeImNot posted and have bookmarked it now, thank you. I also know so much more than I did a few days ago. I honestly think that euthanizing a tortoise for having URTD is cruel and I don't agree with the woman that I had spoken with. There are many more more options than that if people just took the time. I had to take this one to the vet today and when I told her that he is a rescue and that I am looking for a good home for him she told me that she would take him. I was so happy about that. So now he has a new home with none other than a vet that knows exactly how to clear up his infection and she seemed so happy to get him too. She said that she had a few others and that he should get along just fine with them. She has a few girls too so that should be a bonus for him. Thanks again.
Old 17-08-2012, 11:50 PM   #9
MeImNot
Incubating

Thats very good news Candy...I'm glad that he didn't get euthanized like the first person you contacted told you
Old 18-08-2012, 12:05 PM   #10
Bindi
Super Moderator
Adult

That great, Candy, your instincts paid off, so glad you found a home for him