Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Where to Buy and Bargains

Old 11-04-2014, 03:24 PM   #11
FLINTUS
Juvenile

Amazon-
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Not the best in the world, but I bought a pack early in December and I'm on the 3rd one. Not too bad and very cheap!
1.2 Serrated/Forest Hingebacks
Fish
Snails-Achatina Fulica 'Jadatzi', Limicolaria Flammea, Limicolaria Numidica, Archachatina marginata suturalis,
Achatina Tincta

Jadatzi GALS for sale:
http://www.shelledwarriors.co.uk/for...799#post610799
FLINTUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 07:05 PM   #12
emma_mcraf
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlin M View Post
I use Amazon too... hard to find ones that aren't Ever ready as there are utter pants!
Got some branded "Compton" atm... they are a mixed lot some last a day some last ages...
I've been using Compton ones too. We get them for 50p each as long as we buy 10+ at a time. I've had some that have blown quickly and others that last for months. The ones that have blown have been taken back to the shop and replaced.

Testudo Hermanni 5.12.2:Theo, Tamara, Tabitha, Harriet, Isabelle, Clara, Oscar, Hugo, Oliver, Florence, Arabella, Esmé, Aurelia, Felicia, Claudia, Atticus, Celestia, Amaris, Tristan and Clementine
Budgies: Jasper, Ivo, Otis, Henry, Louie and Luca
Doggies: 1.1.0 Chester and Lottie

emma_mcraf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2014, 10:52 PM   #13
Hanako
Hatchling

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnt toast View Post
100watt normal spot type E27 screw household bulb please? I found what I thought might be a good buy: "ever ready" bulb in a pound shop near me & bought several thinking that's a good name. But as my hubby points out they have a name for batteries not light bulbs! Anyway they have been total rubbish!!!

So thought I would ask other people do you have normal non UV just heat bulbs that last more than a few days? & where do you get them from please?
Quote:
Originally Posted by pagan queen View Post
I have the same problem. They last ten minutes and pop, gone. Haven't found a good one yet.
I have the same problem and I get them from B&Q (which some posters say that they last well). I thought that maybe they were not supposed to be constantly on for 12-14 hours a day. Or maybe they were 'objecting' to me spraying the soil with water. The humidity may have disagreed with them.
Hanako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2014, 11:43 PM   #14
pagan queen
Adult

I find there is no consistency to the reliability. I find one that works for a while then when it goes I try the same brand and it just doesn't last. There is even inconsistency between the 2 vivs, the same brand just doesn't last the same length in each one.
0.1.0 Hahns Macaw
0.1.0 Pearly Conure
0.2.0 Guinea Pigs
0.2.0 Chickens
1.0.0 Bearded Dragon
7.4.0 Budgies
1.1.0 Cockatiels
1.3 Kids
1 Husband
pagan queen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2014, 11:54 PM   #15
burnt toast
Adult

Strange isnt it? But thanks for all the helpful suggestions.
burnt toast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2014, 10:38 AM   #16
Hanako
Hatchling

I have also bought for around £50 some combined UVA/UVB= light bulb (I have had 3 in total) and those did not last any longer than the cheap bulb without UVA/UVB, so it is not a problem of low quality bulbs. I think it must be something about how we are using it. Maybe too much use, or humidity or any other conditions I haven't thought about. so I don't think changing brand will make them last longer. I think the solution is to find the cheapest and accept that you will be changing them frequently...
Hanako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2014, 08:23 PM   #17
burnt toast
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClareandCo View Post
Wilkinsons - we bought a load when they were half price. They last ages and we still have lots unused.

All the Poundland ones seems to be useless lasting only a matter of hours before they give up the ghost!
Are they the Komodo Claire?
Old 16-04-2014, 08:25 PM   #18
ClareandCo
Sub Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnt toast View Post
Are they the Komodo Claire?
No they are just the Wilko ones. We use them on some of the indoor turtle setups so are on for most of the day. They are all lasting really well and have done for several months now - probably tempting fate here!
ClareandCo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2014, 10:06 PM   #19
burnt toast
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClareandCo View Post
No they are just the Wilko ones. We use them on some of the indoor turtle setups so are on for most of the day. They are all lasting really well and have done for several months now - probably tempting fate here!
Yes ha ha!! Hope not!

Do you have a link please Clare? I looked on line & allthat came up was the Komodo. Been in store today & couldn't spot them & when I enquired the lady said they don't sell 100w?