Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Off Topic > Introduce Yourself

Old 11-01-2015, 08:05 PM   #11
Ozric Jonathan
Adult

Hi Keith and welcome to the forum. I agree with Becci and everyone else, and I think this forum is just right these days. Not all of us have the same views but that is completely fine and we seem to be able to have different ideas without it being the end of the world.

So hopefully this is a place where people don't feel worried about being shot down in flames just for expressing an opinion or asking some questions.

The larger the hermann, the more of a challenge it can become to provide a really good quality of life year round indoors. I suggest that unless you are getting a hatchling it's good to make your table as big as you possibly can.

Although I'm a bit rubbish at DIY I've made tortoise tables myself and I recommend that if at all possible. I learned a lot about the tortoises by making the tables and seeing how the tortoises were in them and then making better ones. Tall sides are good because once the tortoise accepts that there is a limit, they go about their business without spending all day trying to climb out. There are lots of ideas and photos etc in the Indoor Housing section. http://www.shelledwarriors.co.uk/for...ead.php?t=4941

Apart from the size of it, you will also want to think about lighting and heating, how to use the space to best effect, what you want to use 'underfoot', what kind of hide to have on the table etc.

You might want to think about the pros and cons of getting a hatchling compared to re-homing. There are lots of tortoises around that need good homes, especially males. A tortoise that is a few or more years old might be slightly easier in some respects and if you want to know it is a male then this might be your best bet. A really small hermann is tricky to sex and even our forum experts are sometimes proved mistaken over time when sexing really little ones.
Old 11-01-2015, 09:33 PM   #12
Ksolo
Egg

I would like to rehome an older boy I think rather then buy a baby. Their is a male in the petshop near me who is 3 but he is housed in a vivarium, he has been chipped and has papers from Macedonia.

The problem lies with me being a total novice, how would I know he was healthy? I can research all I like but practical experience imo is second to none.

Plus I am still in the research period I do really like the little tort.
Ksolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 08:49 AM   #13
Pussygalore
Adult

Hi, glad to see you've found us, to find the indoor tables etc you need to look in 'housing' then the' sticky' at the top of the page called 'important housing threads' there are lots of good ideas in there.
Pussygalore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 12:44 PM   #14
Ksolo
Egg

Hi Thanks very much for pointing me in the direction of this site its fantastic.
Ksolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 09:24 PM   #15
fifi and the flowertorts
Hatchling

Hi Keith. Welcome to the forum. It is a fun place to be and lots of helpful advice
2 cats
2 dogs
4 Kids
and a hubby
fifi and the flowertorts is offline   Reply With Quote