Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Breeding and Incubation

Old 28-04-2012, 11:27 AM   #1
Watermelon
Adult

Default Interbreeding question

What would happen if a brother and a sister tortoise had eggs? Would they all be infertile or maybe fertile but deformed tortoises. Would they have health problems?

The whole interbreeding thing has never occured to me... only until ross/tilly said if one of my 4 turned out to be a male, he wouldnt be able to breed with the other girls as they are all full siblings. So I would have to get an unrelated male if I wanted to breed.

The breeder I bought from, she incubates for females. She says as far as she knows she has never produced a male! So I suppose I better hope for all females.
Watermelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2012, 11:38 AM   #2
Easter Bunny
Adult

Good question. 2 of mine have same father but different mothers. Could they breed?
Old 28-04-2012, 12:20 PM   #3
Helen M
Adult

Send a message via MSN to Helen M

The term is more inbreeding than interbreeding. Interbreeding occurs between two different species.

In mammals you do find you get a build up of congenital heart problems etc as mutant genes accumulate down the line when close genetic relatives breed. I would think the principle would be the same with reptiles etc. Tortoises haven't been bred in captivity for all that long and it would take a few generations for you to see all the problems caused by inbreeding. But I would think longevity of the animals concerned would be reduced compared to animals produced from a normal pairing.

All keepers and breeders need to be very careful about sexing their sibling groups and separating them when appropriate to prevent inbreeding. As it will cause longterm harm to the progeny produced.

Helen x
Helen M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2012, 12:39 PM   #4
egyptiandan64
Super Moderator
Adult

It's not something you want to do long term Soph, but a first generation from a brother/sister pair would be fine. You just wouldn't want to do it with successive brothers and sisters.

Danny
Old 28-04-2012, 03:38 PM   #5
summerangel
Hatched

A good question I've been wondering this myself...
Thanks for answering it, in detail Helen and Danny
Old 28-04-2012, 04:17 PM   #6
Watermelon
Adult

Yes thank you Helen and Danny. I was completely oblivious when its quite obvious isnt it really thinking about it.
Watermelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2012, 12:11 AM   #7
Shelled Lady
Juvenile

I would certainly agree with Danny. First generation would be fine. You would have the experience with the offspring to go and look for a virile young male that you can bring on with you hatchlings. Unfortunately it is inbreeding that has caused so many things to go wrong with dog breeding.
Shelled Lady is offline   Reply With Quote