Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Evolving Husbandry

Old 21-09-2011, 11:39 PM   #131
Ozric Jonathan
Adult

Not everyone would agree with that answer though. And Ed has repeatedly said in this thread that uv lighting can or may be a benefit.

If the tortoise is 'indoors' and therefore not getting any natural uv light then I am holding to the view that providing it artificially is likely to be a benefit. The likelihood of it being harmful is extremely small, and the tortoise anyway has to be kept warm and provided with lighting so it is stimulated and can see where it is going. Why not include some uv in that provision?

I personally would not want to rely solely on supplements and not provide any uv for the indoor tortoise.
Old 22-09-2011, 12:17 AM   #132
Kirkie
Adult

The provision of good quality UVA/UVB lighting is so much more far reaching than the synthesis of vitamin D3. The nights are drawing in, the evidence will soon start showing up here.. "My tortoise is slowing down, not eating . The basking spot is 32-34C but he stays in bed all day. Heat and light (and food) thats all tortoises care about (oh and sex ).

Someone once wrote that keeping a tortoise inside without the provision of UVA/UVB is like you living your life by candlelight.
Kirkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2011, 12:34 AM   #133
EJ
Adult

I've stated that full spectrum lighting is definately a benefit... not a necessity. I think the risk of using this lighting is equal to using vitamin supplementation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozric Jonathan View Post
Not everyone would agree with that answer though. And Ed has repeatedly said in this thread that uv lighting can or may be a benefit.

If the tortoise is 'indoors' and therefore not getting any natural uv light then I am holding to the view that providing it artificially is likely to be a benefit. The likelihood of it being harmful is extremely small, and the tortoise anyway has to be kept warm and provided with lighting so it is stimulated and can see where it is going. Why not include some uv in that provision?

I personally would not want to rely solely on supplements and not provide any uv for the indoor tortoise.
and
http://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/284442591651347/
Trying to keep the fun in Chelonian care
EJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2011, 07:41 AM   #134
Alan1
Super Moderator
Adult

I know that not everyone would agree with that answer but I did say "There are various opinions as to how much they are needed and what benefits they have or don't have" by which I meant that not everyone does agree with the answer.

Red Foot Marg's 100 year old tort though has never seen a UV bulb nor had D3 supplements. The question of whether they are beneficial is slightly different to.. "Do we really need UV bulbs"

Most of the answers in this thread are relating to the benefits or otherwise of UV bulbs rather than just the original question which really was answered in post #2.

Another question would be.. Is it wise to advise new keepers not to use them?

I wouldn't advise someone new not to use them even though it's possible to do without, I think it is the less risky of the two options for a new keeper
Alan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2011, 07:53 AM   #135
EJ
Adult

I don't think anyone has advised not to use...

As far as risk goes... the supplements is probably less risky. It's been around longer and well tested.

Quote:
Originally Posted by caledonia View Post
I know that not everyone would agree with that answer but I did say "There are various opinions as to how much they are needed and what benefits they have or don't have" by which I meant that not everyone does agree with the answer.

Red Foot Marg's 100 year old tort though has never seen a UV bulb nor had D3 supplements. The question of whether they are beneficial is slightly different to.. "Do we really need UV bulbs"

Most of the answers in this thread are relating to the benefits or otherwise of UV bulbs rather than just the original question which really was answered in post #2.

Another question would be.. Is it wise to advise new keepers not to use them?

I wouldn't advise someone new not to use them even though it's possible to do without, I think it is the less risky of the two options for a new keeper
and
Old 22-09-2011, 07:57 AM   #136
Alan1
Super Moderator
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by EJ View Post
I don't think anyone has advised not to use...
I know, I don't think anyone has either, I'm just saying that would be a question because no doubt new keepers will read this thread and be wondering what their best option is
Old 22-09-2011, 08:06 AM   #137
EJ
Adult

I don't think there is a 'best' option... each has its advantages and disadvantages. The supplement is the more simple and sure. The lighting is still in its infancy and we really don't know the mechanism involved in the lighting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by caledonia View Post
I know, I don't think anyone has either, I'm just saying that would be a question because no doubt new keepers will read this thread and be wondering what their best option is
and
Old 22-09-2011, 08:36 AM   #138
Kirkie
Adult

The response in post#2 doesn't annswer the question posed. The question raised was "how impotant is a UV lamp if suppliments are used". The response in A2 does not quantify it's importance and is in fact out of context with the question. A huge assumption has been made with the question posed and many of the answers made that the sole benefit of ultra violet light is to aid vitamin production. My feeling is that it's benefits go far beyond this one factor.

Personally I feel the question posed should have been "what is the importance of UV exposure (thus encompasing sunlight) when suppliments are provided." as I feel the question was perhaps asked in the context of fully artificial captive conditions.
Old 22-09-2011, 09:00 AM   #139
Alan1
Super Moderator
Adult

The OP is actually asking 2 questions.. the first question was "do you really need UV lamps" and the second question was |"if you're supplementing with d3 (nutrobal)how important/necessary are uv/uvb lamps?"

I suppose it can be said that both those questions have been answered with a variety of answers, only the OP can say whether any of the answers are to his satisfaction.

So both the questions have been 'answered' in the 14 or so pages, it's just that not everyone agrees on the same answers
Old 22-09-2011, 09:15 AM   #140
Kirkie
Adult

My point was that the "answer" (which is in fact an opinion) given early on *of "nope" doesn't even answer the question as posed if you read it. The question was solely in regard to using UV lamps if you are supplimenting, not "are uv lamps a requirement/necessity".

Nit picking *probably but the question was not answered in post 2. One opinion was stated in post 2.

Anyway, gotta go to work now. These UV lamps don't pay for themselves.