Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Mediterranean Tortoises - Information & Questions

Old 14-11-2010, 02:39 PM   #21
EquestrianBabe
Adult

Send a message via MSN to EquestrianBabe

Lol, I like your photostory
Old 14-11-2010, 02:56 PM   #22
TortBabe
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrypin View Post
they may not be blessed with a large amount of intelligence but the smaller ones need to be quick and clever to survive.

terry
Aww, lovely pictures
Old 14-11-2010, 03:36 PM   #23
STEWIE
Incubating

In my opinion im convinced torts are very intelligent from many things ive seen them do. And im sure they do see us as more than a food source, especially if you have daily interaction. Example of what i mean. One of my torts once kept following me round his outside enclosure, it was really weird behaviour. I kept offerring him food thinking he wanted food, or id pick him up give him a stroke n tickle put him back down which normally he`d walk off but no he kept on trying to get to me for about 2 days none stop. I just knew from his behaviour that he was trying to tell me something and something just wasnt right it was just my human instinct to think he was telling me something, i wasnt thinking of him as just a reptile looking for his dinner lol, so next morning i went with my instinct and i took him the vets and told him that my tort was just acting very strange and id like him checked over, sure enough he was basically a day away from death(thats another story). Im 100% convinced he was asking me to help him, im certain of that and i know theyre only small with small brains but i do believe theyre very intelligent.
Also i know they have poor hearing but i also believe they do tune into your voice if they hear it everyday. one of my males went to bite the others face a few days ago. I was standing near the enclosure, i wasnt making any noise or vibration but when i saw him go to bite his brother i just kind of told him off(it was just my split second reaction and i was too far away to anything else). I didnt shout or make any movements but as soon as i said it he immediately retreated into his shell(something he never does). I then went over and took away his brother. After about 1/2 an hour he was still in his shell in the same place, he just reminded me of a little school kid that had been told off. I picked him up and stroked him until he came back out again which took a good 10mins then put him in his enclosure were he acted normally again, he definitley heard me and i definitley scared him.
Some people may disagree but im sure he noticed the change of tone in my voice even though his hearing may be very poor.
Just my opinions guys based on 10 years of close interaction, im not saying im right its just what i think on the subject about hearing and intelligence
STEWIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2010, 10:58 PM   #24
TortBabe
Adult

My horsfield Willow interacts with me. if I call his name when he is sleeping he opens one eye to look at me, very cute!
Old 15-11-2010, 09:11 AM   #25
yuna1971
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozric Jonathan View Post
Tortoises measure daylength through the pineal gland; this triggers winding down processes but the tortoise does not 'think' winter is coming.

Of course, our tortoises get to know we are a source of food and this has a powerful effect on behaviour. Although their hearing is poor compared to humans' they are very sensitive to vibrations and I susepct that is why they come running.

But I don't mean to diasgree with my friends here, the tortoise is a fantastic creature and many of the species we keep are highly adaptable. They have an acute sense of taste and smell which gives them an ability to detect what is edible. They also learn over time about foods - hatchlings will bite at any green obect but juvenile tortoises have a scale of preferences and only eat certain foods when there is nothing else available.
To me, that in itself is saying "intelligence". xxx An excellent reply , as always though Jon ! xx

Lily's Movie.
http://www.shelledwarriors.co.uk/for...ad.php?t=68025
yuna1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2010, 09:19 AM   #26
yuna1971
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrypin View Post
they may not be blessed with a large amount of intelligence but the smaller ones need to be quick and clever to survive.
terry
That sums it up very well, Terry. In part, the point I was making. xx I think by looking at the overall, in terms of what they do, and how they do it -to me thats not a dumb creature. Surviving all the years they do and behaving the way they do.

Lily's Movie.
http://www.shelledwarriors.co.uk/for...ad.php?t=68025

Last edited by yuna1971; 15-11-2010 at 09:22 AM.
yuna1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2010, 10:47 AM   #27
Alan1
Super Moderator
Adult

I caught little rodney doing the guardian crossword the other day
Alan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2010, 12:23 PM   #28
TortBabe
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by caledonia View Post