Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Edible Weeds, Diet & Suppliments

Old 04-05-2011, 06:28 PM   #31
Greekkeeper
Egg

A post of mine were deleted/removed/moved ?
Greekkeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 11:26 PM   #32
joanna
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirkie View Post
Theres been a lot of confusion over this exotic leafeater diet. It is not the EU version of US Mazuri tortoise diet. Totally different formulation.

A guy on another forum contacted Mazuri US and asked about exotic leaf eater. Here's the details..

"The Lady at Muzuri was nice enough to explain the confusion between the two Mazuri tortoise foods.*
*I told her the Exotic Leaf Eater Diet was not for sale on their website and I sent her a link to its PDF.

So from reading her reply below it seems they are made by two different companies, on two different continents. *No wonder she hadn't heard of it and thought I was getting confused with their Primate Diet.*
So to explain to others, the Tortoise Diet is American and only for sale in the United States, as we knew. The Tortoise Exotic leaf eater is from the UK, fed at Zoos and to the young torts with tinned tomatoes. (the latter has a third less sodium in it compared to the other)

The US Mazuri rep wrote:

"Believe it or not, although we used to be associated with the Mazuri based out of England, it's been many years since we were. *We had the same parent company for awhile - they started the Mazuri line in Europe about 1968. *It came to the US in 1989. *We were together for maybe 5 years. *That's why I don't recognize their (Tortoise) Leafeater Diet." *

If you compare the makeup of leafeater posted above to this for the US Mazuri tortoise diet, the differences are very apparent.

http://www.mazuri.com/pdf/5m21-5e06.pdf

Agreed, the lady at Mazuri US was very hepful when I contacted them. I have posted before about these diets but it seems to still be asked... Mazuri US gave details of NutraZu stating this was the EU version. If you check the Nutritional analysis of all 3, Mazuri US and Nutrazu compare, whereas Mazuri EU is noticeably different with way more protein and less fibre.
joanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 11:33 PM   #33
EJ
Adult

While it might be higher in protein... do you know what is 'too much' protein concerning tortoises? Many Zoos have been using the Mazuri(UK) for quite some time. If there was a problem, don't you think it would have shown up by now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by joanna View Post
Agreed, the lady at Mazuri US was very hepful when I contacted them. I have posted before about these diets but it seems to still be asked... Mazuri US gave details of NutraZu stating this was the EU version. If you check the Nutritional analysis of all 3, Mazuri US and Nutrazu compare, whereas Mazuri EU is noticeably different with way more protein and less fibre.
and
http://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/284442591651347/
Trying to keep the fun in Chelonian care
EJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 11:40 PM   #34
joanna
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by EJ View Post
While it might be higher in protein... do you know what is 'too much' protein concerning tortoises? Many Zoos have been using the Mazuri(UK) for quite some time. If there was a problem, don't you think it would have shown up by now?

I think we all know there is no way of suggesting what levels can / cannot be tolerated. My point is that the diet isn't 'connected' to the Mazuri US. The makeup , regardless where it is used, is different and Mazuri US will direct you to Nutrazu if you are in the UK.
joanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 11:51 PM   #35
NATURALIS
Adult

Quote:
Yes zoo's do use it but have you seen the state of some of the tortoise's in zoo's !!, I'm not saying it's a result of feeding pellet's but it does make you wonder !!!!.
NATURALIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 11:59 PM   #36
Petrus
Banned
Juvenile

Quote:
Originally Posted by red foot marg View Post
Yes zoo's do use it but have you seen the state of some of the tortoise's in zoo's !!, I'm not saying it's a result of feeding pellet's but it does make you wonder !!!!.
I took this picture recently in a British Zoo - kinda disturbed me!

Petrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 12:01 AM   #37
EJ
Adult

If you read the previous post... they are connected. It seems to have started in the UK as a monkey diet. I'm sure it has been tweeked to accomodate tortoises as the years moved on.

Again... the ingredients are not as important as the nutritional ratio. You can have different ingredients to make up the nutritional ratio.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joanna View Post
I think we all know there is no way of suggesting what levels can / cannot be tolerated. My point is that the diet isn't 'connected' to the Mazuri US. The makeup , regardless where it is used, is different and Mazuri US will direct you to Nutrazu if you are in the UK.
and
Old 05-05-2011, 12:02 AM   #38
EJ
Adult

Why did that disturb you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petrus View Post
and
Old 05-05-2011, 12:04 AM   #39
Alan1
Super Moderator
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petrus View Post

strange enclosure for a tort
Alan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 12:04 AM   #40
Petrus
Banned
Juvenile

Quote:
Why did that disturb you?
Why is it's shell deformed like that? It actually looks better in the photo than it does in real life.
Petrus is offline   Reply With Quote