Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Off Topic > General Discussion

Old 19-08-2010, 11:39 AM   #21
burnt toast
Adult

Thats a good idea Cath & dont forget good old cheap & cheerful carpet gripper too Claire, thats easy & instant.
burnt toast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2010, 12:05 PM   #22
TortBabe
Adult

Thanks for all your replies
Some really fab ideas, we should start a thread Beat the Burglar
Its turned really cool here so I doubt that the torts will be back out overnight again this year, but next year I will be so prepared
Just goes to show Alan, modern technology can be a bad thing
Old 19-08-2010, 02:50 PM   #23
EquestrianBabe
Adult

Send a message via MSN to EquestrianBabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by cath View Post
Clare sorry to see your having trouble, we used to get it quite often to, they'd use our garden as a short cut,and there's a bit of a dirt track lane at the bottom of our garden which drew the wrong ones,, my ex put old fashioned used old grease along the top of the fence gunked it all along the top, dead dirty and slippy,,, omg the next one that tried climbing over, it was quite hilarious the language, well you can imagine we've not seemed to of had any bother for a while, word soon goes round, DONT GO OVER THE WOMANS FENCE IN THE CORNER YOULL GETT COVERED IN SOMETHING DISGUSTING If you cant get hold of grease anything slippery, maybe Lard fat, but the dirtier the better cos in the dark their not sure what they've put their hands in xx
How about dog/cat/horse poo?
Old 19-08-2010, 04:41 PM   #24
pagan queen
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burno View Post
Thats a good idea Cath & dont forget good old cheap & cheerful carpet gripper too Claire, thats easy & instant.
You have to stay inside the law. I think carpet gripper is a bit too dangerous, you have to consider the poor burglars wickle pinkies. and also it could do untold damage to a cats feet, and although we don't want cat's harming our torts I think maiming them is going a bit too far.
pagan queen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2010, 06:24 PM   #25
justmeandmytortoise
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by caledonia View Post
It might be nowt to do with the window cleaners Clare, EB's mates will know you have torts and from that, they will have brothers and sisters who have mates and parents etc. The window cleaners will have mates too of course.

It's very important to be very carefull about revealing who you are on the internet, it makes it very easy for thieves once they know your name and your town because all they need to do is look up the BT online phonebook and it gives your address and from that, they can look up Google maps and they can then see from above the exact layout of your garden and where to get in, where to leave their car and everything else.

Many people on here give their names on facebook links and if you look at the properties of a photobucket photo by right clicking it their name is on that too if the real name has been used to register with photobucket and if the location is revealed elsewhere on here too it makes it easy.

If I were a tort thief these are the kind of sites I'd be looking on to see if there were easy pickings nearby. there are large numbers of unregistered users reading this forum every day, who knows who they might be
I agree ...
Old 19-08-2010, 06:36 PM   #26
Lyn
Adult

Sorry to hear this but so glad that your tortoises were safe and sound indoors.
Lyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2010, 07:48 PM   #27
Jazzotang
Hatchling

Hi Clare, you have my sympathy. I had a very similar incident earlier in the year. They did break the lock of my pen. but the torts are taken in at night because we have foxes and badgers in the area! I now have a motion detector in the back garden and security lighting what i would like is a electric fence to zap the little git's. Im glad yours where safe and sound indoors, i just find it so sad that your pets are not safe even in your own garden!
Old 19-08-2010, 08:44 PM   #28
Neddy
Sub Adult

So sad that this has happened

I would speak to your local police officer and ask what can and cant be done to your garden like the barbed wire ......it will also ensure they are aware that people are snooping around!!

xxxx
Neddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2010, 09:10 PM   #29
TortBabe
Adult

Thank you all for the great ideas I will def get a crime prevention officer in to see what ideas they can give me, I feel a little less freaked out now but should we get any nice September weather they will not be left outside unattended. Its sad but I can't take any chances I would be sick if they were stolen, they are all very much part of our family now
Old 19-08-2010, 09:19 PM   #30
Alan1
Super Moderator
Adult

you can get dummy CCTV cameras pretty cheap. I know you are not allowed broken glass these days but I can't understand when you are not allowed that, you are allowed spikey railings
Alan1 is offline   Reply With Quote