Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Housing

Old 27-09-2016, 09:21 AM   #1
Merlin M
Adult

Default winter housing

Well having moved my monsters twice this year (we all moved in with the in laws while we had the flat on the market and then when we moved into our house) so the monsters won't really be hibernating this year, just to be sure as I am not as happy with their weight as I want to be!

They have been living in the garage, and get out into a nice secure garden when its warm enough (its all walled in so they can't escape, although I am sure Misha will try!)

But winter is fast approaching and I know the garage will be too cold without at least modifying things?

I am planning on setting up a tubular heater and thinking of putting insulation around the table, knowing you all have much more experience of this wondered what you think?

Not sure where I could fit them inside (as unlike in the flat the fireplace does actually have a fire in it!) they would probably fit in the conservatory but that has the same problems as the garage really, it would just be much too cold!
Merlin M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2016, 10:00 AM   #2
Gordon
Adult

If it were me I would make a tent over the top with bubble wrap making 100%sure it can't fall onto any bulbs.
That way you should be able to keep most of the heat in and they will be on their own table and should be happy the only thing you might need to do is add some extra heating to stop them wanting to hibernate.
Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2016, 10:25 AM   #3
Merlin M
Adult

Thanks G, I was wondering about putting something over the top, we do have MASSES of bubble wrap atm... I was going to add heat of course, wil look into the bubble wrap when I get home
Old 27-09-2016, 12:11 PM   #4
wigwamman
Juvenile

i have added another bulb to my hatchling table(its quite big)and its made the world of difference to their activity levels,i already use the plastic tent idea to hold in the heat.
the same principles are used on the adult tables and it all works quite well.
wigwamman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2016, 11:39 PM   #5
burnt toast
Adult

Lynne Easter usee to keep her Hermanns in a garage and I always wondered how they kept awake and warm. Sarah on here (username, admin/moderator) had her garage done out. Im sure if you pull her name up & look through her posts you will see hers.

Wickses do 2 x 4 sheets of 2inch thick tongue and grooved polystrene. I used to use them when I used a concrete garage to hibernate. I just joined them together to make a huge box. Had a tiny 2 ft tubular on a stat and placed their boxes inside this bigger box. It worked very well. Dont know if you could adapt this idea? Maybe floor back and side walls + roof? Leaving front open?
burnt toast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2016, 09:38 AM   #6
Merlin M
Adult

Thanks, got lots of ideas to play about with!