Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Mediterranean Tortoises - Information & Questions

Old 13-08-2010, 01:59 PM   #1
Jeblee
Egg

Talking lots of questions about hatchling care

I may be repeating some questions from the forum but I've been researching this for a while getting ready for the arrival of my little hatchling but theres a few things that I just can't find the answer to, most probably because they are obvious but here goes.

How long should the heat lamp be put on durring the day and should I change the length during the winter months if not hibernating that particular year?

How cold is too cold for a tortoise to be outside? the weathers starting to change now and even though theres a bit of drizzle it can still be warmish, also what if its sunny but cold?

When should they be fed, is it best to give one meal a day or stretch it out over the day?
Also do tortoises eat herbs? (like rosemary, thyme etc, its just I find them really easy to grow!)

Would you recommend leaving a tortoise outside during the night or am I just going to upset her by constantly changing her from indoors to outside everyday? Just worried about foxes and cats.

How often do they need a bath? I've found lots of places suggest putting a shallow tray of water in the enclosure but I often see people giving their tortoises a warm bath aswell.

Also what age would you first hibernate?

Can tortoises be left to wonder about? When I was little our neighbour used to let her tortoise just have a wonder around the house, especially during the winter, she did it so he could stretch his legs apparently is this a complete no no or do they like a wonder?

So far I think thats it I'm sure theres more to come
Jeblee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2010, 03:48 PM   #2
Terriandlola

How long should the heat lamp be put on durring the day and should I change the length during the winter months if not hibernating that particular year?

simulate the sunlight... usually around 12 hours per day

When should they be fed, is it best to give one meal a day or stretch it out over the day?
Also do tortoises eat herbs? (like rosemary, thyme etc, its just I find them really easy to grow!)

once a day is ample and just get them used to a routine. everyone feeds at diff times. I do it right after a bath about 6pm. yes herbs are ok but only as part of the diet.

Would you recommend leaving a tortoise outside during the night or am I just going to upset her by constantly changing her from indoors to outside everyday? Just worried about foxes and cats.

being outside is great as they get natural uv. always cover up the outdoor enclosure with some mesh to stop wild animals getting in!

How often do they need a bath? I've found lots of places suggest putting a shallow tray of water in the enclosure but I often see people giving their tortoises a warm bath aswell.

hatchlings need baths every day and try keep it in the bath untill it has a poo as they poo easily in water. luke warm is the best and bath for about 10 mins.

i dont know enough on hibernating sorry

Can tortoises be left to wonder about? When I was little our neighbour used to let her tortoise just have a wonder around the house, especially during the winter, she did it so he could stretch his legs apparently is this a complete no no or do they like a wonder?

i let my 2 wonder around my bed and have a mooch, I would say always supervise and never leave to wonder alone!

hope this helps! i bet your really excited xxx
Old 14-08-2010, 09:35 AM   #3
K&N
Egg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terriandlola View Post
[/B]How often do they need a bath? I've found lots of places suggest putting a shallow tray of water in the enclosure but I often see people giving their tortoises a warm bath aswell.

[B]hatchlings need baths every day and try keep it in the bath untill it has a poo as they poo easily in water. luke warm is the best and bath for about 10 mins.
If you provide you tortoise with a big water dish and fill it every day with fresh water, you don't need to bathe them. They will do it on they're own, like in the nature At firs, it would be good, to put him/her in the dish every morning, so they learn to go there on their own.

Here's a picture of my little ones in they water dish during their voluntary morning bath.

They are running in and out of this "pool" of theirs many times a day, so I really don't need to bathe them in addition.

Quote:
If you are able to study the hibernation, there is no age limit for it. Again, in the nature, also the newborns have to hibernate, when the winter comes. You just have to make sure, your tortoise is healthy and get a lot of information about hibernation and the preparations so you can do it correctly.
Here's a good link about it: http://www.tortoisetrust.org/articles/safer.html

Good luck with you litlle tortoise!!!
Old 14-08-2010, 10:50 AM   #4
Jeblee
Egg

Thankyou for the tips, I have found people do tend to give conficting advice so I'll see how it goes, I'll have to get to know what she likes and doesn't like.
I'm very excited, only a week to go and I have a list of names to choose from. I'm a bit nervous about hibernating this year, she's only a month old now, I don't know her weight so she may not be fit to hibernate yet anyway.
Old 14-08-2010, 04:58 PM   #5
Terriandlola

unless you witness her bathing I would give her a bath every day as if she doesnt "go to the toilet" she could get bunged up and this isnt good for the little one. when they are older it only needs to be every other day but I would say everyday whilst she is a hatchling

bet you cant wait! x
Old 23-08-2010, 01:49 PM   #6
Jeblee
Egg

Yesterday we picked up our Olive... shes only a month old and still so small its hard to get good photos

After the 2 hour journey she had a warm bath which she seemed to love. There was a mishap in her little pool when she tipped herself over but I've now adjusted the sides so its easier for her to get in and out. Last night she took herself off to sleep, but she didn't bury herself or anything just squeezed in between the cage side and a pot and she felt a bit cold this morning, is this normal? I have topsoil and sand, about 70/30 and theres also some aspen to bury in.
Also should I be waking her up in the morning or let her do it herself? this morning I got her up and put her in a warm bath and then popped her under the heat lamp, I only did it just to make sure she was up and about before I left for work, otherwise I would have worried all day.
...and some people mentioned that when their torts had enough of their bath they'd try to get out but so far Olive hasn't, she seems to really enjoy it and I think she even had a snooze in there, I've given it about 15mins then put her in the enclosure and then shes straight in the pool. Does this mean she's still dehydrated or is this normal behaviour? I've also noticed she likes it to be warm, so how hot can I make the water?
Old 24-08-2010, 04:59 PM   #7
K&N
Egg

Olive has just moved to a new home, so she/he must be a little stressed about the hole thing. It's normal she should sleep more in the beginning. She'll get around, don't you worry Besides, seh soooo young, and new borns do sleep more!

I would still recommend doing the "bath" in the water dish, so Olive can choose when to get out. You can change the water in the morning, so it's nice and warm, move her to the "bath" and let her get out when she wants it.

It's normal, that torts bask first thing in the morning, my torsts Kamu and Nemo bask about 1 hour before they get going.
If you move olive straight form sleeping to the warm bath, she would use that heat to get her body warmed up. But the normal way is to bask in the sun.
Does Olive bask under the heat spot?
You do have a heat spot?

Last edited by K&N; 24-08-2010 at 05:03 PM.
K&N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2010, 05:18 PM   #8
Jeblee
Egg

She only seems to bask when I put her under there but I can't be sure as I wasn't in, this morning I was a bit worried as she was in the same spot as when I went to bed, in the middle of the cage, not hidden or buried. I did put her under the lamp and she had a nibble of food once she'd got a bit of energy. But she seems to be a bit lethargic at times so should I just remind her where the lamp is? She does seem to breath heavily which I read on the forums could be due to stress and she paces around the edge of the cage. I've avoided putting her in the outdoor enclosure just in case that just confuses her more.
Should I change the lamp times in accordance to her sleeping patterns, at the moment its from 7.30am to 8.30pm? Although she doesn't have much of a routine as she went to sleep 7pm sunday then yesterday she was still up and about at 10pm, I think its just time, at least shes eating and the pool is mucky everyday so shes in and out of that all day.
This morning I did discover that she prefers to bask for a little while before I bath her so I'll try that in future as I was doing it the other way before.
Old 24-08-2010, 06:35 PM   #9
K&N
Egg

I think you should let her be.. you know, not to stress her more. Just let her get settled down. And I wouldn't change anything right now.
Except that you should check the temperature right under the heat spot. I keep it about 40 decrees Celsius and in the cool end it can drop to 20 decrees.

By the way, I know how you feel. At first I was just as nervous about my little babies as you are. But it's going to get easier, once you get to know your new friend

Last edited by K&N; 24-08-2010 at 06:41 PM.
K&N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2010, 03:43 PM   #10
x.froggy.x
Incubating

Good luck with your hatchling!!!
x.froggy.x is offline   Reply With Quote