Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Turtles and Terrapins > Aquatic, Semi-Aquatic, and Terrestrial Turtles

Old 07-01-2012, 08:24 PM   #1
Damita
Incubating

Default turtles for beginners

good evening everyone, I am a tortoise keeper and I would really love to have some turtles 1 or 2 ....

Can someone please tell me what turtles are best for beginners so i can do some research - i have a 5ft tank and filter n heater

what else would i need .....

thanks in advance x
Damita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 09:05 PM   #2
ClareandCo
Sub Adult

We have a few! Briefly, my opinion:

Sliders and Cooters - females get very large reaching 12"+ really needing a very large tank/indoor pond, and an outdoor pond for the summer. Roughly 40 litres of water per 1" for the first turtle and then 20 litres per 1" for the second and so on.

Musks do not reach nearly as large a size, and are more suited for an indoor setup, youngsters do not have deep water though. However, they do not tolerate each other as well as Sliders.

Other types, Painted and European Pond turtles etc are I think more attractive and have striking colours/markings, but are more expensive and not so easy to obtain.

Depending upon the age, they don't all need heated water, but a good external filter (Eheim 2213, 2215 or 2217) with Alfagrog as the media, a basking dock (although you may not see Musks bask), basking light - a desklamp with a spotlight bulb and uvb light - either a strip light or a combined bulb.

You cannot sex turtles when young and may well find that two males do not get on and a male will pester a female, in fact a male can/will pester another and in fact we found our male Musk mating a young male Slider, so they may well have to be separated.

Do bear in mind their potential size. Are you able to rehome any as there are so many looking for new homes?

A turtle tank should not have a lid and gravel should be avoided.

Do ask if anything is not clear!
ClareandCo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 09:28 PM   #3
Damita
Incubating

I totally understand the 2 not getting on thing.... I have torts and theyre the same lol
I dont have a pond in my garden, i dont hve grass either my torts are in a run with topsoil on concrete in my garden (paving slabs not concrete)
would that be an issue?

The tank I have is 5ft long and 2 foot wide its fluval tank and has a lid. (not sure if thats suitable then) I wonder if I can remove it? its a 400litre tank (is that too big? / too small?)

the lighting and heating and filter I have came with it so not sure thats suitable either lol

I have seperates for my torts so would prefer seperates for my turtle tank too.... i already have a spare arcadia light controller and a spare 30w 10.0 uv strip light to go with it.

the basking bulb - I can use a normal household SPOT BULB for that as I do with my torts - would I need a dimming stat for torts? or just keep a bulb on in a ceramic holder?

I dont suppose you could do a starter kit list for me ? so I can tick off the appropriate things .... would be most helpful. and do you recommend any websites for me to do some more research? so much conflicting information out there.

Thanks x
Old 07-01-2012, 09:28 PM   #4
Damita
Incubating

p.s Id love to rehome than buy babies - would you know where I can do that?
Old 08-01-2012, 01:33 PM   #5
Damita
Incubating

Ive been looking into yellow bellied sliders - are they good for a beginner?
Old 08-01-2012, 03:17 PM   #6
ClareandCo
Sub Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damita View Post
Ive been looking into yellow bellied sliders - are they good for a beginner?
Yes, but as I have said they get big!
Old 08-01-2012, 07:55 PM   #7
Damita
Incubating

will a 5ft tank be ok for 2 of them fully grown? or should I get something different?
Old 08-01-2012, 08:53 PM   #8
ClareandCo
Sub Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damita View Post
will a 5ft tank be ok for 2 of them fully grown? or should I get something different?
What is it 5' x ? x ?

I see you are on another Forum and have shown some interest in the tank which has about 6 turtles in! RES and YBS can live together as they have more or less the same requirements/diets, but they get big and can live 30+ years. I don't think there are any pictures on that Classified Ad are there? A lot are often offered free purely because of their size.
Old 08-01-2012, 10:17 PM   #9
Damita
Incubating

Sorry it's 5ft x 2 ft .... No he's not given me any pictures, been spending the afternoon doing some more research and joined a turtle forum x ybs and res are lovely but I don't have room in my garden for a pond. And I'm not sure a permenant indoor set up would be suitable.

I've been reading amour musk turtles and mud turtles which may be more suitable for me
Old 15-01-2012, 10:19 AM   #10
pwinkie03
Hatchling

Hi.
I have a musk turtle, they are so easy to care for once the setup is in place, and only grow to about 5 inches (often smaller). I suppose you could get 2 if they had been kept together already, but you would have to seperate them later if they got aggressive (obviously that means buying another tank, basking light, uv, heater etc..) from what i've heard 2 females would be ok but 2 males wouldn't get on. I rehomed my little guy and he is perfectly happy on his own! They are fascinating little things and so full of personality! if you want to know more about musks ill be happy to help!

Louise
pwinkie03 is offline   Reply With Quote