Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Tortoise Health and Vets

Old 16-07-2012, 02:32 PM   #1
emmajh
Hatched

Default greyish chalky poo after flagyl for protozoa

Pebbles has protozoa she's had flagyl which she vomitted both times. Her poo stank and was really runny with undigested food. Over last couple days its turned less runny and not smelly but very chalky greyish colour and yesterday I'm sure there was a streak of fresh blood in it - unless she has snaffled a strawberry off the garden!!

Her weight has increased since the flagyl by 80g and she's back to what her weight was 5 weeks ago.

I rang vet and they said they can't do fecal until Friday which is two weeks since her last flagyl.

However to complicate matters I'm going abroad tomorrow night for 2 weeks and am now panicking about her!!! I've rung place where she's staying and they use same reptile vet as me. They will keep close eye on her and send her to vets to stay if necessary.

What's causing grey poo anybody?? Could it be a sterile gut thing?? She's had panacur recently as well. She seems better in herself although still not up to full diet and she's increasing her weight with the help of pellets mixed with nudged up weeds.
emmajh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2012, 11:33 AM   #2
Beverley
Adult

It could be the gut is sterile. I know when I treated my Chaco with Flagyl the poo was a greyish colour with something like mucus over it for a few weeks. It takes a few weeks for healthy bacteria to grow again. It's not an overnight change. The Flagyl did work and thank goodness he has been grand since the treatment
Old 18-07-2012, 09:00 PM   #3
EJ
Adult

What was the dosage of the flagyl?

Grey urates are the result of liver and kidney stress. The blood... not a good sign at all.

Is the tortoise active and eating? What are you feeding?

Is the tortoise well hydrated?

Quote:
Originally Posted by emmajh View Post
Pebbles has protozoa she's had flagyl which she vomitted both times. Her poo stank and was really runny with undigested food. Over last couple days its turned less runny and not smelly but very chalky greyish colour and yesterday I'm sure there was a streak of fresh blood in it - unless she has snaffled a strawberry off the garden!!

Her weight has increased since the flagyl by 80g and she's back to what her weight was 5 weeks ago.

I rang vet and they said they can't do fecal until Friday which is two weeks since her last flagyl.

However to complicate matters I'm going abroad tomorrow night for 2 weeks and am now panicking about her!!! I've rung place where she's staying and they use same reptile vet as me. They will keep close eye on her and send her to vets to stay if necessary.

What's causing grey poo anybody?? Could it be a sterile gut thing?? She's had panacur recently as well. She seems better in herself although still not up to full diet and she's increasing her weight with the help of pellets mixed with nudged up weeds.
and
http://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/284442591651347/
Trying to keep the fun in Chelonian care
EJ is offline   Reply With Quote