Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Breeding and Incubation

Old 03-07-2011, 02:50 PM   #1
chris7star
Egg

Default eggs hatched what next

my 3 red eggs hatched today and yesterday although 2 are still pipping at the moment,the first is fully out

question is when do i need to transfer them across to there tanks
is it ok to use spagnam moss as substrate as ive lined the tank with this and find it very prickly ?,i take it the temp needs to be the same and humidity needs to be kept high due to dehydration
chris7star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 03:40 PM   #2
NATURALIS
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris7star View Post
my 3 red eggs hatched today and yesterday although 2 are still pipping at the moment,the first is fully out

question is when do i need to transfer them across to there tanks
is it ok to use spagnam moss as substrate as ive lined the tank with this and find it very prickly ?,i take it the temp needs to be the same and humidity needs to be kept high due to dehydration
they need 70% humidity and i use moss and orcid bark for substrate the bark holds the water very well , im not sure about your moss the moss here isnt prickly. The temps need to be 30c hot end 20c cool end
NATURALIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 04:11 PM   #3
chris7star
Egg

Quote:
Originally Posted by red foot marg View Post
they need 70% humidity and i use moss and orcid bark for substrate the bark holds the water very well , im not sure about your moss the moss here isnt prickly. The temps need to be 30c hot end 20c cool end
cheers chris the moss is spagnam moss (think thats how its spelt) but i have leaves etc in there from where its been picked,i brought 20kg of the stuff as was being sold as ok with torts,its fine for my adults but unsure on the young

when do i transfer them from the incubator to a tank the first tort out has absorbed the yolk sac but is still slightly sticky ,the other 2 that are still pipping will prob be a few days as i can see the one still has a quite large egg sac inside the shell
first out weighs 20grms
Old 03-07-2011, 04:21 PM   #4
NATURALIS
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris7star View Post
cheers chris the moss is spagnam moss (think thats how its spelt) but i have leaves etc in there from where its been picked,i brought 20kg of the stuff as was being sold as ok with torts,its fine for my adults but unsure on the young

when do i transfer them from the incubator to a tank the first tort out has absorbed the yolk sac but is still slightly sticky ,the other 2 that are still pipping will prob be a few days as i can see the one still has a quite large egg sac inside the shell
first out weighs 20grms
ok once the yolk has gone the first thing to do is give them a soak in luke warm water half way up there heads to give them chance to drink and to wash off any membraine thats left sticking to them , after that straight into the viv
Old 03-07-2011, 07:06 PM   #5
chris7star
Egg

a few photos to show the yolk sac,do you think this is ok to move out of incubator now

http://www.flickr.com/photos/64743336@N05/5897933128/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/6474333...n/photostream/

Last edited by chris7star; 03-07-2011 at 07:10 PM.
Old 03-07-2011, 07:49 PM   #6
NATURALIS
Adult

i would give it a drink and return it to the incubator until tomorrow just in case theres anything it could get knocked on
Old 03-07-2011, 07:57 PM   #7
chris7star
Egg

ok cheers the other two should be out by then aswell so good to know when to put into viv
Old 04-07-2011, 10:40 PM   #8
joanna
Adult

Hi Chris, just wanted to say fantastic news so glad some of the eggs made the journey. Someone mentioned you posted about this so had to pop on. Sorry I missed your last message, a bit late to answer now they're making an appearance! I've had no free time recently to get on here, but Chris (RFM) will always have sound advice to offer as and when you need it. Really is a beautiful hatchling, hope you have many more in the future.
joanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 11:19 AM   #9
chris7star
Egg

Quote:
Originally Posted by joanna View Post
Hi Chris, just wanted to say fantastic news so glad some of the eggs made the journey. Someone mentioned you posted about this so had to pop on. Sorry I missed your last message, a bit late to answer now they're making an appearance! I've had no free time recently to get on here, but Chris (RFM) will always have sound advice to offer as and when you need it. Really is a beautiful hatchling, hope you have many more in the future.
cheers joanna,ive had the last two hatch yesterday and weigh slightly heavier at 21grms both look ok and healthy & still have another 10 eggs in the incubator so fingers crossed

chris