Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Mediterranean Tortoises - Information & Questions

Old 27-10-2014, 01:48 PM   #1
emmajh
Hatched

Default Ban on reptile keeping.

Anyone heard any more about the new legislation over reptile keeping??? I see Norway have a total ban on keeping reptiles as pets. Is the uk likely to follow suit??
emmajh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2014, 02:34 PM   #2
FLINTUS
Juvenile

Norway has had that for a while I think. Check R F U K -I won't post link due to the forum promotion rules-for a long thread on the EU legislation being brought in next year. Sliders are likely to be covered by it.
1.2 Serrated/Forest Hingebacks
Fish
Snails-Achatina Fulica 'Jadatzi', Limicolaria Flammea, Limicolaria Numidica, Archachatina marginata suturalis,
Achatina Tincta

Jadatzi GALS for sale:
http://www.shelledwarriors.co.uk/for...799#post610799
FLINTUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2014, 02:40 PM   #3
Pussygalore
Adult

if they did ban restrict certain species being sold I can't see how they could do anything about those already over here as pets etc, and I said on rfuk that would you actually own up to having one if you stood a chance of having it taken away. I doubt it would affect pet torts but maybe breeders anyway its not worth getting worried over unless you have lots of rare species.
Pussygalore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2014, 02:55 PM   #4
emmajh
Hatched

Hi yes I found that thread on R F U K and had a good read. I only keep hermanns so was hoping it wouldnt affect them. Bit of a worry though.
emmajh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2014, 05:00 PM   #5
FLINTUS
Juvenile

Quote:
Originally Posted by emmajh View Post
Hi yes I found that thread on R F U K and had a good read. I only keep hermanns so was hoping it wouldnt affect them. Bit of a worry though.
Hermanni will be fine-no problem there. None of the tortoises will be banned, but tbh, it'll be the common species, not the rare species, which will be banned. Trachemys are expected to be banned, as well as one other genus of turtles-can't remember which off the top of my head.
While I agree that many won't admit to keeping them, what would the repercussions be for illegal possession of said animal.
1.2 Serrated/Forest Hingebacks
Fish
Snails-Achatina Fulica 'Jadatzi', Limicolaria Flammea, Limicolaria Numidica, Archachatina marginata suturalis,
Achatina Tincta

Jadatzi GALS for sale:
http://www.shelledwarriors.co.uk/for...799#post610799
FLINTUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2014, 05:52 PM   #6
Suze65
Adult

Why on earth do they want to start banning keeping reptiles or tortoises, and what would they do with them all if they confiscated them. They not having mine. Bloody EU

3 THB, Sammy, Jemima, & Phoebe
7 Marginated, Tabitha, Ptolome, Tatiana, Noah,Lottey, Lulu & Poppy
1 TGG (Emma) RIP Feb 2012
Suze65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2014, 06:01 PM   #7
emma_mcraf
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by mediterraneansuze View Post
Why on earth do they want to start banning keeping reptiles or tortoises, and what would they do with them all if they confiscated them. They not having mine. Bloody EU
Well said Suze!

Testudo Hermanni 5.12.2:Theo, Tamara, Tabitha, Harriet, Isabelle, Clara, Oscar, Hugo, Oliver, Florence, Arabella, Esmé, Aurelia, Felicia, Claudia, Atticus, Celestia, Amaris, Tristan and Clementine
Budgies: Jasper, Ivo, Otis, Henry, Louie and Luca
Doggies: 1.1.0 Chester and Lottie

emma_mcraf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2014, 09:04 AM   #8
Hanako
Hatchling

Quote:
Originally Posted by mediterraneansuze View Post
They can't possibly confiscate them, unless they plan to keep millions of confiscated animals. Would that mean that they would be in breach of law themselves, if they confiscated them and then kept them? And the financial strain - if they confiscated them, someone would still have to look after them. Hopefully they are sensible enough to realise that home bread animals have never been free in the nature and therefore would very likely not survive if they were suddenly released.
Hanako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2014, 09:17 AM   #9
ClareandCo
Sub Adult

"They" wouldn't be keeping them after confiscation, nor releasing them.
ClareandCo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2014, 09:47 AM   #10
Pussygalore
Adult

there must be 100's of tort owners who've had them for years and never join forums etc, they'd never know of any changes and probably don't even know about paperwork. They like many others just wouldn't announce they have a tort nor even know if they were supposed to, if I still had mine I'd be like them and just keep mum, stop breeding even if it meant leaving the forums, I'd guess that if there are any changes it would be for those who sell them ie breeders and shops and to be honest if you're talking about the large turts that get to big for their owner then get dumped well that change can't come soon enough, they should never be sold anyway. If it meant limiting breeding of more common species well sorry but again I think there will be to many flooding the market making the price drop and meaning more breeders can't sell hatchlings before the next years are due. All the people who bought torts intending to breed will now soon have animals off breeding age and the amount of people wanting a first time tort will be less and less, I gave up a couple of years back and even then it was taking longer to find good homes than when I first sold a few years before that. I'd say only 10 years or so ago a tort was still considered a rare animal to keep or even to find to buy and certainly the amount of people on forums etc were a fraction of what they are now, who'd want to breed if their torts were only a few pounds and sold in every petshop.
Pussygalore is offline   Reply With Quote