Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Housing

Old 15-08-2014, 03:47 AM   #1
SquishyMelon
Egg

Default Outdoor Enclosure

Hi guys, I have a recently turned 3 year old Hermanns Tortoise living in the 1m sky tortoise table named Fred. He also has a 6ft x 4ft outdoor enclosure which he goes in on most days. However, I now feel that his indoor cage is too small for him!

I have wrecked my brain and searched and search for a new enclosure, but with little success I thought about him permanently living outdoors. So of course I have spent ages researching that... but I need your help!!

Do you think that the best thing to do would be to get this:

http://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/small_..._hutches/33223

And put a ceramic heat inside of it in his outdoor enclosure?

--

We may hibernate him this year(not sure yet) but we definitely would if we did this so we could cut out the winter months.

Do you think that would be ok for him to permanently live outdoors(without an indoor table)? If so, what wattage of ceramic heat emitter would you recommend?

Thanks so much!! x
SquishyMelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2014, 08:50 AM   #2
Alan1
Super Moderator
Adult

I don't think that would enable your tort to permanently live outdoors but it might be useful for the summer as just a dry area as part of a larger enclosure. They might be more liable to hide under it. I have a dry area covered with that poly tunnel material that allows UVB through and they just go in it randomly. I've seen them out in lashing rain as if they were completely unaware of it even being there. I don't however have a heat source in there. Here are some other tort lodges http://secretgardenwoodcraft.com/page4.htm

Last edited by Alan1; 15-08-2014 at 08:53 AM.
Alan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2014, 12:00 PM   #3
pagan queen
Adult

You could make an indoor enclosure from a book case laid on its back and lined. Have a look at some of the pictures of other set ups on here.

Try this for ideas http://www.shelledwarriors.co.uk/for...ead.php?t=4941
0.1.0 Hahns Macaw
0.1.0 Pearly Conure
0.2.0 Guinea Pigs
0.2.0 Chickens
1.0.0 Bearded Dragon
7.4.0 Budgies
1.1.0 Cockatiels
1.3 Kids
1 Husband

Last edited by pagan queen; 15-08-2014 at 12:04 PM.
pagan queen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2014, 12:01 PM   #4
SquishyMelon
Egg

Thank you for that link. I think they are much better not raised...

So do you think if I got one of those and put a ceramic heat emitter in it throughout the day and off at night he could live permanently outside? Thanks x
Old 15-08-2014, 12:04 PM   #5
SquishyMelon
Egg

Quote:
Originally Posted by pagan queen View Post
You could make an indoor enclosure from a book case laid on its back and lined. Have a look at some of the pictures of other set ups on here.
Thanks for the idea but due to his age and considering the future I think that moving him permanently outside is the best option! x
Old 15-08-2014, 07:25 PM   #6
Alan1
Super Moderator
Adult

It wouldn't do throughout winter.
It may be ok for summer but there's no guarantee the tort would go in it and be safe from frosts of April, early May and late September (if you are in the UK).
Depending on where you are, it should be ok for late May, June, July, August, early September.
If you are putting it within your 6 x 4 enclosure it will take up a lot of space.
A covered enclosure is best for keeping predators out.
You'd still probably need indoor of some kind as it won't hibernate for 6 months.
Some people have heated sheds or greenhouses.
Alan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2014, 08:53 AM   #7
Pussygalore
Adult

you need a house big enough to take a combined bulb or white light heat bulb for a tort to stay out for longer than just the summer months and the house you're looking at isn't big enough for that. Warmth by itself won't wake them as they need the light as well hence using the sun to warm themselves, if owners want their torts to be outside 24/7 then they mostly have a greenhouse or shed with combined or similar suspended bulbs and outside access. The little house you are thinking about will be fine as a summer shelter but thats all, if you don't have a shed or gh that be can used then you'll need a table inside the house, if you just leave your tort outside odds are it will hibernate in september and sleep to april or so which is far to long.
Pussygalore is offline   Reply With Quote