Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Mediterranean Tortoises - Information & Questions

Old 13-04-2015, 11:00 AM   #1
tarnswhite
Egg

Unhappy Woken tortoise not eating

Hi, this is my first post! I am looking for some help for my 15 yr old spur thighed tort called Geoff. I have a pair of these and have been hibernating them for many years. I use a fridge with air pump and temp monitor. This year for some reason the temp did run a bit higher that last year but both looked deeply asleep when checked. I got them both up last week and did the usual warm bath and heat lamp and kept them both inside under heat lamp until it got warmer outside. Initially all well. Both eating and very active. Now Geoff has gone off his food despite trying to tempt him with his favourite treats. He is still very active and running around the garden. After reading many websites for advice I have been bathing him in warm water and putting him under a heat lamp during the day if it is not warm outside. He hasn't eaten for about 4 days. Any help gratefully received. Thanks Tanya and Geoff (also Daisy his girlfriend!)
tarnswhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2015, 12:32 AM   #2
egyptiandan64
Super Moderator
Adult

How low is the temperature getting at night?

Danny
Old 14-04-2015, 07:44 AM   #3
Pussygalore
Adult

I don't know where in the uk you are but here in the midlands it certainly hasn't been hot enough for a tort to be outside apart from a few days last week and we're still having frosts at night. I think its supposed to warm up again this week but these aren't normal temps for April and should be kept a close eye on, it was blooming cold here at the weekend.
Pussygalore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2015, 07:56 AM   #4
tarnswhite
Egg

Default Geoff

Hi, thanks for the messages. I'm in East Anglia, I had been bringing them both in at night but we have a very sheltered garden which is a total sun trap so day time temps have been very good here. The good news is that after a day of bathing and basking yesterday Geoff decided to have something to eat. Hopefully with more of the same treatment and warmer days he will be back to his old self soon. I think Daisy is enjoying the subdued Geoff as normally from the time we wake them he is a complete stalker! Thanks again!
Old 14-04-2015, 09:27 AM   #5
sandy
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarnswhite View Post
Hi, this is my first post! I am looking for some help for my 15 yr old spur thighed tort called Geoff. I have a pair of these and have been hibernating them for many years. I use a fridge with air pump and temp monitor. This year for some reason the temp did run a bit higher that last year but both looked deeply asleep when checked. I got them both up last week and did the usual warm bath and heat lamp and kept them both inside under heat lamp until it got warmer outside. Initially all well. Both eating and very active. Now Geoff has gone off his food despite trying to tempt him with his favourite treats. He is still very active and running around the garden. After reading many websites for advice I have been bathing him in warm water and putting him under a heat lamp during the day if it is not warm outside. He hasn't eaten for about 4 days. Any help gratefully received. Thanks Tanya and Geoff (also Daisy his girlfriend!)

I find that sometimes my male iberas dont eat until at least a week after getting up.
They need to get really really warm to be able to eat, although saying that my tortoises who can come and go as they please from the GH, have been out during the day (once they have warmed up) in temps as low as 12c. This morning the sun is up, and I went to let them out (if they wanted too) and two were sitting waiting to be let out:0)
Keep soaking and unless you see other symptoms then its just a matter of time.
Just a query how do you know he has not eaten?

http://groups.yahoo.com/groups/tortoisefriends
sandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2015, 11:29 AM   #6
tarnswhite
Egg

Default Thanks Sandy

Hi Sandy.
I will keep up with the baths! I have been keeping a very close eye on his eating for last few days, we have a tortoise proofed garden that I have set out on two levels, the upper level is all shingle in various linked raised beds so there is no grazing, the lower level is grass that I don't weed treat so they can snack. With the cooler days they have been only pottering around the upper levels as it gets really warm there. The only other thing I have noticed is that one of Geoffs eyes is slightly weepy. It's not continuous and doesn't seem to overly bother him. Thanks again!

Tags
help please, not eating, spur thighed