Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Housing

Old 23-04-2015, 08:23 PM   #1
sarah p
Egg

Default Sulcata lighting and heater

Hi for my sulcatas (babies)
Do I need a heat light (with uv) for day and a ceramic heater in the same corner for night time and maybe a heat mat for a corner in the bed for night times?
sarah p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2015, 02:02 PM   #2
emma_mcraf
Adult

Hi Sarah. I'm afraid that I don't keep Sulcatas so hopefully someone with a bit more knowledge will come along and offer advice soon. However, for an indoor table for your hatchlings you will need to provide a basking spot and UV, either as separates (a heat bulb and a UV striplight) or a combi bulb. You need to ensure a temperature gradient though.
I believe they need a drop in temperature at night but at this time of year I would assume they wouldn't need additional heating as the ambient room temps should stay above what's necessary to get them up and active in the mornings. So I'm not sure if the CHE would be essential until the cooler months come in. Generally heat mats aren't recommended for torts who could dig down and burn themselves but I do know of some people who attach heat mats to the roof of the bedroom area.
I'm sorry I can't offer any more advice than that but I'm sure someone else will be along to help soon.

Testudo Hermanni 5.12.2:Theo, Tamara, Tabitha, Harriet, Isabelle, Clara, Oscar, Hugo, Oliver, Florence, Arabella, Esmé, Aurelia, Felicia, Claudia, Atticus, Celestia, Amaris, Tristan and Clementine
Budgies: Jasper, Ivo, Otis, Henry, Louie and Luca
Doggies: 1.1.0 Chester and Lottie

emma_mcraf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2015, 02:58 PM   #3
Pussygalore
Adult

you only need heat at night if your room is cold for them, I used to keep mine at 70f which was fine, I don't think they like as much of a drop at night as some of the med torts. Its a lot easier to keep the room warm than to try to heat/warm a large table as heat rises so the room would benefit not the torts.

Last edited by Pussygalore; 24-04-2015 at 03:00 PM.
Pussygalore is offline   Reply With Quote