Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Housing

Old 21-04-2011, 09:16 AM   #1
JasonRimmer
Egg

Default Getting worried

Been researching Tortoise for the last week and am starting to become a little worried about how to keep them...so many don'ts on the list...also it seems you have to build a big outdoor enclosure with greenhouse etc...plus what substrate to use...I have noticed some people saying heatmats are OK and I've seen tables pics on here that on occasion seem to go against advice on the net...i.e glass sides...

Can anyone give me a rundown and what is definately out and what is definately in...I know about the tables over vivariums...however I have read you need at least a 6ft by 6ft indoor table for an adult...I don't have this sort of room...I can get in a 4ft by 2ft though...big enough?

Thanks

Jason (someone who is very keen on keeping a Tortoise but is starting to get doubts, mainly space and costs to make said space)
JasonRimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2011, 05:07 PM   #2
yuna1971
Adult

This thread needs moving ...me thinks Jason, so that you get more advice.xx Hang tight and check back.

Lily's Movie.
http://www.shelledwarriors.co.uk/for...ad.php?t=68025
yuna1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2011, 08:45 PM   #3
Alan1
Super Moderator
Adult

much depends on what tort you are getting. the likes of redfoots and leopards get big and would never do in a 4 x 2 for very long. a 4 x 2 would do a good while if it was a small tort of a small breed
Alan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2011, 09:20 PM   #4
NATURALIS
Adult

4ft by 2ft isn't big enough to be honest , if your thinking about a med tortoise such as a Hermann's or spur-thighed there better of outside from april to sept.
NATURALIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2011, 09:32 PM   #5
JasonRimmer
Egg

I was thinking of a Russian...also I would have it outside on sunny days...and the plan would be to sort out permanent summer area and home in the garden when it's an adult...with a little greenhouse etc...but I have no idea how you get electric out to the area for lamps etc...

What I need to know is a list of must haves and recommendations and a list of what NOT to buy...how big are your indoor tables?
JasonRimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2011, 10:02 PM   #6
gregnobes
Sub Adult

if i was u i would not use a heat mat as in the wild most of there heat comes from the above not under ground but everyone has there own way of doing things
gregnobes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2011, 10:14 PM   #7
joanna
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregnobes View Post
if i was u i would not use a heat mat as in the wild most of there heat comes from the above not under ground but everyone has there own way of doing things
'In the wild' tortoises benefit from heat above AND alot from below. In the wild the sun doesn't just shine down on each and every tortoise - it shines down also on all the land around them, so when they walk about and settle the ground they are walking, settling on will in turn be quite warm from the sun - very similar to what you can achieve using a heat mat.
joanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2011, 10:17 PM   #8
lisalass
Hatched

Or a hot water bottle jo know's i'm quite fond of these lol
lisalass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2011, 10:20 PM   #9
yuna1971
Adult

Jason, I think the main thing here is to concentrate on one thing at a time. First - decide on a specific breed/species of tort.
Depending on what species you get - you can then get the indoor enclosure sorted & ready - gain advice on lighting, substrate, temps, ambient room temps, humidity.
Then get to know your tortoise - he will probably spend a little time settling in. You might need patience here, this can take a while - he might not have much appetite, hiding away, sleeping more than normal. Keep handling to a minimum - let him settle down.
Then, as this is happening, you can learn about weeds/edible plants/general diet.
Then plan your outdoor enclosure. You can still get him out supervised during this time. Remember, if its a small hatchling - he will find the outdoors a little unnerving, and will be a bit timid and anxious to start with. Give it time. Take him out in spirts...and just increase. In due time he will get to know surroundings, and will want to explore.
Be aware that if outside - you MUST be careful on what he eats. There are plants/weeds that are toxic. So DO read up on this before hand, see if you can see any of them in the garden. There is a list of these toxic plants in the WEED section on this site. Get to know what they look like.

Baby steps. Try not to rush and get it all done ...like, right now. It is a learning process and perhaps do one thing at a time to avoid getting too stressed with it all. xx
Plenty of help on here.

Lily's Movie.
http://www.shelledwarriors.co.uk/for...ad.php?t=68025
yuna1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2011, 10:42 PM   #10
joanna
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisalass View Post
Or a hot water bottle jo know's i'm quite fond of these lol
Lol Lisa yep, but ditch the bottle for a mat on a stat set at your most desirable temperature - no refill needed
joanna is offline   Reply With Quote