Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Off Topic > Feedback/Suggestions/Problems

Closed Thread

Old 19-07-2011, 01:00 PM   #71
yuna1971
Adult

Well, its a bit late now but I will add my view on this.

I havent been posting much on here lately...but not due to any factor or any person. And not as Im scared to post. I have just been doing other things (not other forums either), just living life, having fun with Lily etc. So thats that.
But yes, heard about Jackie...and I have made comments in another post about the use of the word/phrase 'tortoise nazi' - only as I believe it has or had no bearing on this hobby or in tortoise talk. But thats all done with as well now... Im sad that Jackie has left but...as has been said, it is her choice to leave.
I tend to not get embroiled in threads where I can sniff a bit of aggro coming on. I might try and post something a little humourous, just to take the edge off. I might post my own opinion. But thats it.
If someone doesnt agree with an opinion or differs in theirs to mine - fine. If I offer advice on a post to someone new and they go with someone elses differing advice - fine. I can force anyone. Nor should anyone else.
People have to remember that forums are all like this. There is bitching, arguing. Its a huge set of people all with the same interest but probably ALL with different ways of doing things. All trying to be heard. All saying - yeah but, you should do this, you should do that. We ALL are not gonna be friends. But we all should tolerate eachother.
Bullying is totally wrong - and thats obviously what I am going to say. As is baiting in threads and LOSING THE FOCUS of the thread itself.
That is where it all goes wrong.
A new person comes on who is worried, and has joined because he is stressed, and wants to know what to do for the best. He posts a Help/SOS thread. So then he gets many posts. And whilst differing posts are going to happen - its his decision which of those posts make sense and that he feels he can be confident in.
He doesnt want to see arguing and baiting between Person X and Person Y, then having others joining Person X and Y. You see that is where the initial post is then lost.
That is where the new owner THEN starts to feel...oh crap, Im stuck in the middle.. If he says he agrees and thinks Person X makes sense, Person Y might jump on his back...and vice versa.
This is where restraint from members must come into play. The ultimate decision is the owners - the person that originally posted. You can advise and thats it. You can suggest what works for you and thats it. You have said your bit - and if the new person doesnt take your advice then thats that. You cant win em all.

To sum up - I think we all need some tolerance, understanding and sensitivity with the threads. Stick to the point - its addressing the owner - and not Person X who doesnt agree. Say your piece. Leave it.
Too many of us just seem to get embroiled in overlong debates - which in the end miss what the original poster asked. Things can go on too long, and seem to go round and round. Hence causing bad feeling.

I think the closing of chat for now is a good one. I think the dust needs to settle. And perhaps putting chat into its own separate 'quarters' could work - where you have to log in. I do think that lots of rows have been 'born' from chat....then spread to threads.

Not sure about deactivating PM. I think perhaps the tightening of infractions and suspending members who persistently get reported is a good way to go.

Things have changed a bit on here...I will admit but Come on everyone, its not been all bad. Yeah things have gotten a bit hairy but think about it...
All this is is TYPING out things you feel. Its not face to face contact. Everything CAN and WILL be misinterpreted by the way a person reads it. Which is why we have the EDIT button on our posts. Bit like texting, Im sure we have all sent drunk texts...they read well to us when were sloshed but probably not so to the recipient!!!

Lets just get on with it yes? We do all have lives off here Im sure....
Is it really worth all this??
Take a step back. Take a wee breather. Then come back on after having a break...

That is all. xx

Lily's Movie.
http://www.shelledwarriors.co.uk/for...ad.php?t=68025
Old 19-07-2011, 01:11 PM   #72
Ozric Jonathan
Adult

I would prefer we kept the PM's. They are a good way to stay in touch with people on a more individual level and I like using them for that. I don't always want to express my self to the whole world - not that they are that interested - but you know what I mean.

Personally I won't miss the chatbox as, like Alan, I was too slow on the keyboard (and the brain). The chatbox wasn't really my thing and if caused any problems then lets not have it.

I believe that if a few people changed their behaviour very slightly then it would be more harmonious on the forum. But that probably won't happen and I personally can live with the friction.
Old 19-07-2011, 01:15 PM   #73
Henry-flash
Adult

Send a message via MSN to Henry-flash

As someone who has been on this forum from the very beginning and spent a couple of years as a moderator a while back I am absolutely amazed at the behaviour of many individuals on the forum at the moment.

SW can be (and usually is) a great place. It does not need the petty squabbles and total over reactions that are being seen more and more frequently. Seriously. At the end of the day this is just a forum and you can walk away if you don't like something you read. One of the best things about this forum is that freedom of speech is allowed and sadly the few are runing it for the many as usual.

It is very clear to me that many of you do not realise how much work the SW team put into this forum. They all have lives away from the forum and suprisingly don't sit here all day waiting to clear up everyones mess. It's about time you all cut them some slack, I'm sure many of you would struggle to do the job of an Admin or Mod, it can be a very time consuming and often difficult role.

I don't often post these days, mostly because of lack of time, but also because I just can't be bothered with all the hassle forums can bring. I now keep and enjoy tortoises, instead of sitting on the internet arguing about them.

The North West Tortoise Group
Old 19-07-2011, 01:36 PM   #74
NATURALIS
Adult

There seems to be people on here that enjoy jumping on people , the top and bottom of it is someone posts asking a simple question , lets say diet ! so ok the question gets answered by various member's but thats where it should end not keep on coming out with words like you've been brainwashed , or one way or the highway ,everyone should be able to post there answers and let the op decide what suits them best, the problem is this never happen's , why carn't we just simply answer the question and leave it at that.
The other problem is with closing down chat, over say the last 4 weeks the amount of new people that end up on there asking questions like they cannot post or need urgent help in fact even people that had only joined will suffer all for what ! ,i joined this forum in 2008 and never saw anything like this then going on back then it was a pleasure reading posts from people that had only been keeping tortoise for a year or two , sharing there knowledge with other member's without being shot down in flames !, that's how it should be , problem now is people don't want to post incase there way is challenged.
Old 19-07-2011, 01:51 PM   #75
Bindi
Super Moderator
Adult

Chris by closing down chat then members will have to post their questions on the forum and the answers and information are there to be read by and benefit all.

Not all tortoise forums have a chat facililty and they survive.

It is also very hard to moderate chat, and when arguments excalate in there they are very often missed by the team as they are pruned. To be honest though it's not just the arguments - it's the snide nudge nudge conversations that go on in there that are so obviously about other people behind their backs...
Old 19-07-2011, 01:57 PM   #76
RacingSnake
Hatchling

Send a message via MSN to RacingSnake

Quote:
Originally Posted by stells View Post
i would have defiantely lost more tortoises than i have...
Why would you have been so defiant? (Joke!!)

eta.. ooh, first time I've seen my new sig... doesn't really look like a tortoise does it? :S
    {_}-{_}                    {_}-{_}
Old 19-07-2011, 01:59 PM   #77
Bindi
Super Moderator
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by RacingSnake View Post
Why would you have been so defiant? (Joke!!)

eta.. ooh, first time I've seen my new sig... doesn't really look like a tortoise does it? :S
No, I'm afraid it looks more like a dinosaur
Old 19-07-2011, 02:00 PM   #78
Bindi
Super Moderator
Adult

Snap Missy
Old 19-07-2011, 02:02 PM   #79
RacingSnake
Hatchling

Send a message via MSN to RacingSnake

how about now?

(apologies for the thread hi-jack)