Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Off Topic > General Discussion

Old 16-02-2011, 07:13 PM   #21
Geomyda
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by helen1 View Post
I am sure I am as off topic as others...but Carapax?...again, I wonder why many people here wish to persistently discuss this at every given opportunity? On threads that bear no mention of it until you take it in that direction.
Please, and this is said with the kindest intentions, get over it and get each others phone numbers.
Sorry to the poster, this is my last posting in this thread.
Such a shame Helen 1, I had so much looked forward to hearing what you had established as a background to the rather scant information published in the BCG newsletter 199?
See Shell, I think has very ably illustrated the sort of information that should rightly have been presented to the "simple paid up members", by their elected Committee. Haviing once again checked tonight the BCG website still sadly omits to disclose anything at all about the EGM, its date, nor indeed, its purpose.
Geomyda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2011, 07:40 AM   #22
Alan1
Super Moderator
Adult

I have noticed that these BCG threads always seem to me as if the BCG or particular members (or a particular member even) are being criticised, usually it's for the lack of information thing. For those that have not received replies to the questions they have asked, have you actually tried speaking to the members concerned in person or on the phone? Perhaps the guy simply can't spend all his time answering emails or letters.

If I wanted to know something from anyone I would phone them up
Alan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2011, 08:11 AM   #23
Box girl
Sub Adult

I take your point here. The membership booklet unfortunately specificaly states that all questions must be in writing and usually by post, personally I will not write letters these days it seems archaic and e-mail addresses are given for most committee members in this booklet. The committee have now asnswered me by saying they will write to me, can't see why they will not e-mail much quicker and simpler?
All I can think is that the committee need time to answer questions so prefer not to have phone calls. Certainly the Chairman requests that he is not telephoned despite being retired.
Quote:
Originally Posted by caledonia View Post
I have noticed that these BCG threads always seem to me as if the BCG or particular members (or a particular member even) are being criticised, usually it's for the lack of information thing. For those that have not received replies to the questions they have asked, have you actually tried speaking to the members concerned in person or on the phone? Perhaps the guy simply can't spend all his time answering emails or letters.

Money raised to Allwetter Zoo Muenster e6000 sent so far.

Have bred-red foots, yellow foots, eastern box, 3 toed box, ornate box, gulf coast box, common musk, elongated tortoise, red eared terrapin, cuora flavomarginata, cuora amboinensis, hermanns tortoise, horsfield tortoise, rhinoclemys.p. manni,
european pond turtle, reeves and spurs
Box girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2011, 09:48 AM   #24
Alan1
Super Moderator
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Box girl View Post
The membership booklet unfortunately specificaly states that all questions must be in writing and usually by post
If no one did actually write to them to ask for the info then it's not really fair to criticise them for not sending a reply in my opinion. I couldn't really care less but I see the same thing coming up on every thread that mentions the BCG .. that the committee are not up to it etc. I suspect the committee members are not hugely overpaid and may not even be full time
Old 17-02-2011, 10:33 AM   #25
Geomyda
Adult

Quote:
If no one did actually write to them to ask for the info then it's not really fair to criticise them for not sending a reply in my opinion. I couldn't really care less but I see the same thing coming up on every thread that mentions the BCG .. that the committee are not up to it etc. I suspect the committee members are not hugely overpaid and may not even be full time
Communication is indeed a common complaint, in these threads. You are of course right to say, that Committee members are not hugely overpaid, indeed non are full time, and currently, all posts are on a voluntary basis.
That said, this does not excuse the general lack of communication that is all too frequently experienced between the "simple paid up members" and their elected representatives.
This point was I think very fairly made at an AGM, a couple of years back. The reply, was an indignant tirade, which many members whom attended the meeting will remember.
We very well know, that at least one member of the BCG Committee regularly visits this site, why is it, that replies to the questions posted on this thread, and others go unanswered?

Communication requires a sender, a message, and an intended recipient, although the receiver need not be present or aware of the sender's intent to communicate at the time of communication; thus communication can occur across vast distances in time and space. Communication requires that the communicating parties share an area of communicative commonality. The communication process is complete once the receiver has understood the sender.
Old 17-02-2011, 01:16 PM   #26
Box girl
Sub Adult

Still see your point but if e-mail addresses are given what use are thye if no-one will answer or even as a courtesy acknowledge receipt.
Agree all voluntary but if you do not have the time then possibly you should not be in post? Just a thought?
Quote:

Have bred-red foots, yellow foots, eastern box, 3 toed box, ornate box, gulf coast box, common musk, elongated tortoise, red eared terrapin, cuora flavomarginata, cuora amboinensis, hermanns tortoise, horsfield tortoise, rhinoclemys.p. manni,
Old 17-02-2011, 02:59 PM   #27
Geomyda
Adult

Quote:

Put very simply, "Many times"
Old 17-02-2011, 03:25 PM   #28
Box girl
Sub Adult

Forgive me if I am off track and feel free please to delete my post if you think I am but we have been talking about the EGM and the fact that we as members do not understand the implications yet are being asked to vote if we attend the Symposium but get no answers to simple questions as to what does this all mean for us. Communication is poor I really do wish it was not.
Quote:
Originally Posted by stells View Post
Is it really any surprise from reading these threads... that they do not want to respond... i don't think so... i would ignore too...

I find it very odd... that people who seem... to really dislike the management of the BCG... still want to be a member anyway...

I have asked once for this thread to be kept on track... i will ask again... but this will be the last time...

Old 18-02-2011, 12:28 AM   #29
richardb
Incubating

Back to the EGM....i'd just like to thank See Shell once again for her very helpful and informative input.

If only the BCG had put this information and notice about the EGM on their web site, i'm sure that we wouldn't be having this discussion.
richardb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2011, 08:23 AM   #30
Alan1
Super Moderator
Adult

make sure to point it out at the meeting or better still, why not start up a British Chelonia Trust or something else on a national scale, not just breakaway local groups? I can't see why you bother paying into something you are unhappy with, it's just daft. It's not as if it's a big organisation or anything since it's only got 2000 members and if most of them are unhappy with what's going on then it wouldn't take much for them to quit and join a new setup.

But.. is it the case that it's only a handful of the 2000 that are unhappy because it seems strange that 2000 people would continue to support something they are unhappy with