Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Off Topic > General Discussion

Old 27-05-2011, 07:37 AM   #11
Geomyda
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geomyda View Post
I too have read this and in general agree with it. However, are we to conclude that their deliberate release into the wild here in the UK is acceptable and should have a Blind eye turned upon it?
No answer yet to the Question posed. However: The debate continues on various Internet Fora, and seems to have reawakened the interest in the subject throughout the Reptile Keeping community. One question, however, that arises from a post on RFUK last night:

" dont know wether its true or not but a lake that i fish has prob 20 adult red eared and yellow bellied sliders that nick fishermans bait, the adults are relativly ok around people and will take food around a meter of the bank but there are also many small terrapins and the owner says they hatched out there but i dont know weather they bred there or weather its more babies being dumped"

I have not corrected the spelling but this post is perhaps typical: A record of Twenty plus adult animals in what seems to be a "private" Fishing Lake. More worrying, the comments that there are lots more young Turtles evident. This suggests, that dumping of unwanted young continues to be occurring.

Question: If the owner of the lake is not worried about this phenomenon, is it illegal to dump "exotic" terrapins into a private Lake in the UK?

It has been suggested by some, that this type of sanctuary might hold the answer to the problem. For what it is worth, my own view, is that any such facility would need to be properly licenced, and have security measures such that the animals could not migrate into other water courses, and furthermore, the density of stocking, husbandry support be overseen by animal welfare.
Geomyda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2011, 08:23 AM   #12
ClareandCo
Sub Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geomyda View Post
No answer yet to the Question posed. However: The debate continues on various Internet Fora, and seems to have reawakened the interest in the subject throughout the Reptile Keeping community. One question, however, that arises from a post on RFUK last night:

" dont know wether its true or not but a lake that i fish has prob 20 adult red eared and yellow bellied sliders that nick fishermans bait, the adults are relativly ok around people and will take food around a meter of the bank but there are also many small terrapins and the owner says they hatched out there but i dont know weather they bred there or weather its more babies being dumped"

I have not corrected the spelling but this post is perhaps typical: A record of Twenty plus adult animals in what seems to be a "private" Fishing Lake. More worrying, the comments that there are lots more young Turtles evident. This suggests, that dumping of unwanted young continues to be occurring.

Question: If the owner of the lake is not worried about this phenomenon, is it illegal to dump "exotic" terrapins into a private Lake in the UK?

It has been suggested by some, that this type of sanctuary might hold the answer to the problem. For what it is worth, my own view, is that any such facility would need to be properly licenced, and have security measures such that the animals could not migrate into other water courses, and furthermore, the density of stocking, husbandry support be overseen by animal welfare.
I saw that post too - if it is true (the OP is a teenager known for his "made up story" about the very rare turtles he kept in 6 indoor ponds in his garage. When asked for pictures he produced some from Google images! He also had spelt several of his rare turtles names wrong) - if he fishes there surely he would have seen them?

Be that as it may, I really don't want the solution is/can be?
ClareandCo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2011, 09:14 AM   #13
Geomyda
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClareandCo View Post
I saw that post too - if it is true (the OP is a teenager known for his "made up story" about the very rare turtles he kept in 6 indoor ponds in his garage. When asked for pictures he produced some from Google images! He also had spelt several of his rare turtles names wrong) - if he fishes there surely he would have seen them?

Be that as it may, I really don't want the solution is/can be?
A good number of recorded sightings of Feral Terrapins come in from reliable fisherman whom whilst engaging in the hobby on the bank of Lakes, ponds and canals often witness aggregations of Terrapins. The fact they spend hours sitting quietly and frequently use "groundbait" to attract fish, it is perhaps no surprise that Terrapins are might also feature in the scene.
My question, really is if a Private lake and its owner are happy to see these Feral animals in their water; has the law been compromised?
Of course, I am thinking specifically of the 1981 Wildlife and Countryside act.
Geomyda is offline   Reply With Quote