Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Tortoise Health and Vets

Old 22-05-2009, 12:27 PM   #1
MrD
Hatched

Question Concerned...

Seeking advice as always!!

I was bathing Herman and Patch today and giving them a check over as usual. I have noticed over the last few weeks that Patch has a sort of reddish colour around her anus?! The only reason I am concered is because obviosuly she has grey/brown skin everywhere else!

A few other observations I have made these last few weeks:

Patch pee'd in the bath the other day and it was slightly discoloured - a sort of browny red colour. Usually it's clear with the white urates. This appeared to be a one off, so I just thought 'keep an eye'.

Today I was bathing them yet again and Patch had done a pee (no white urates) and a couple of poo's. Then, she seemed to be doing another poo, but nothing came out. I picked her up and looked underneath and there was a white mass poking out of her anus. I put her back in the water and it cam out followed by another little white mass.

I picked these out of the bath and they were brittle, kind of like limestone flour mixed with water. These small white masses were quite small, but I am doing the whole 'worrying' thing now!!

Any ideas or has anyone ever had something like this before... Obviously I immediately thought bladder stones?!

Any thought please post.
MrD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2009, 12:38 PM   #2
Zen
Adult

Send a message via MSN to Zen

Hiya, sometimes when torts eat lots of dandies it can turn their urine a reddish/brown colour, so it may have been that. The white mass you describe sound like urates to me, Occaisionally i have seen them with Zen, keep up with the baths and they should pass. Someone will correct me i'm sure but i think too many dandies can make the urates hard??? (High in Oxylates???, but ok as part of a varied diet) Hopefully someone with more experience will be along shortly!

Rachael & Zen (THB)
'Show gratitude to every living thing'

Last edited by Zen; 22-05-2009 at 12:43 PM.
Zen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2009, 12:43 PM   #3
MrD
Hatched

Thanks Zen. Patch does like her Dandies as well!! I'll up the baths to more than 3 times a week and see if they pass. Usually her urates are more like toothpaste.
MrD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2009, 01:43 PM   #4
linda
Adult

the white mass is still urates

but it is indicating your tort is a littel dehydrated

up the baths offer some high water content foods

cut back on the dandies

everything should get back to normal in a few weeks
linda is offline   Reply With Quote