Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Housing

Old 29-08-2012, 01:49 PM   #1
Raine
Egg

Talking Outside enclosure help?

Hi guys, I've been scanning this forum for a good few months and finally decided to join. First of all, thank you so much for all the great information I've been able to gather for my soon to be tort, as I am now confident it will receive the care it deserves.

The only thing I'm worrying about is I have a very small and unsafe yard, which is only used for my dog to do 'busies' in. Obviously it's clean, but as it's small I can't have a big permanent enclosure taking up what little space we have, my mum won't allow it. I also am struggling with money as I'm only 15 and have to pay for everything for my animals myself. Would a circular paddling pool that is 5ft be suitable as a fold away enclosure if it was filled with soil and rocks etc? Any ideas how I can make it predator and escape proof on the top, as it will be inflatable?

Sorry it's a little long, but thank you's in advance! :3
Raine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2012, 02:33 PM   #2
Daryn
Hatchling

Welcome the the site.......

What sort of tort are you after first of all as thats the first thing you should think about.

My travel site and forum www.majorcaforum.com
Daryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2012, 02:37 PM   #3
Raine
Egg

Thanks, and sorry I knew I was forgetting something! I'm planning on buying a Horsefield off a breeder I know locally
Old 29-08-2012, 02:55 PM   #4
Daryn
Hatchling

Ok Im no expert but done alot of study you will need a dry well drained enviroment so if you are going to use a pond outside you need to put lots of drain holes in first, I also would not buy one now, maybe wait until the spring and get lots of knowledge and plan things properly, its only a few months and you can save up and buy everything you need, get things for Christmas for your tort etc, here is an enclosure I have just built you may get some ideas from it and if you need any help then please ask as Im still learning and asking along the way http://www.shelledwarriors.co.uk/for...ad.php?t=51374

Better to try and get it right first time than buy one right on the winter and find you cant cope.

Old 29-08-2012, 03:00 PM   #5
Raine
Egg

Thank you for your advice, and I absolutely adore your enclosure! Unfortunately, I really mean an inflatable children's paddling pool weighed down, and only set up on warmer days for a few hours when people are home. My yard is extremely small and my mum refuses for me to keep something more permanent out there, and it's too unsafe even if I try to block all the holes off. I know a few people who don't let there tortoises outside at all, and I really would prefer for him to be outside, even if the only option is supervised visits walking round. I have wanted a tortoise for a good few years and have been researching them for just under a couple. I would be devastated if my little guy wasn't happy just because a paddling pool isn't suitable. Thanks
Old 29-08-2012, 05:20 PM   #6
Mrs Frog
Adult

Hello,this would be good if you could make a mesh lid and it is cheap http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2308447242...t_500wt_989too
Mrs Frog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2012, 07:39 PM   #7
Raine
Egg

Ohh thank you! Great idea
Old 29-08-2012, 08:39 PM   #8
Daryn
Hatchling

Oh sorry didnt realise you meant an inflatable children's paddling pool lol. Can you give us a photo of your back yard and this will help us help you, a raised tort table of the ground could work as well, mind a good idea from Jackie there.

And wow Jackie 22 frogs my god lol what sort of frogs are they

Old 30-08-2012, 11:51 AM   #9
Suze65
Adult

Sorry ,I don't want to sound negative, but I just don't think a blow up paddling pool is suitable, could you look out for a second hand collapsible rabbit run,he would need to go out as much as possible in the summer, I agree about waiting untill next spring, then you've got a few months to plan and save, and maybe ask for some of it for Christmas , I hope this helps.

3 THB, Sammy, Jemima, & Phoebe
7 Marginated, Tabitha, Ptolome, Tatiana, Noah,Lottey, Lulu & Poppy
1 TGG (Emma) RIP Feb 2012
Suze65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2012, 02:22 PM   #10
Daryn
Hatchling

Here is a couple of folding runs to give you an idea..............

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/6-Panel-Pu...#ht_1404wt_942

This one looks ideal http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Medium-Fol...ht_1540wt_1056

or what about something like this and put legs on it so its off the ground http://www.safepetpens.co.uk/wp-cont...se-table-2.jpg

Hope these give you some ideas, if you can send us a photo of your back yard

Tags
escape, outdoor enclosure