Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Breeding and Incubation

Old 19-05-2015, 09:40 AM   #11
Daryn
Hatchling

I am based in the UK.

My travel site and forum www.majorcaforum.com
Daryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2015, 08:42 PM   #12
burnt toast
Adult

I have breeding groups but also have a rescue group of "specials" who strictly cant breed for one reason or another. Some of my specials cant hibernate either so need heat and light through out the winter.

I only sell to people who are prepared to research and like to take my time to get to know them. And feel sure they will provide a good home. I agree with what Ali and Mary have said & would like to think I am a responsible breeder. I do turn plenty away!
burnt toast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2015, 10:17 PM   #13
Ozric Jonathan
Adult

This responsible breeding sounds like a lot of hard work but I'm glad there are some people who are willing to do it.
Old 22-05-2015, 04:28 PM   #14
Splinter
Egg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryn View Post
Why do we need more tortoises in this world when there is so many for free already.
Re-homing is great, but good luck trying to find someone willing to re-home their tort/s to a first-time owner that they don't know.

When my wife and I were first looking into re-homing it did seem impossible for us as first-timers to meet peoples re-homing requirements. I.e. "experianced keepers only" etc.

I do think private breeders are a good thing and if anything, I think there should be more. It would however be nice is there were far less torts (and other aniamls for that matter!) in "pet shops".

The problem is that there is quite a lot of demand for hatchlings, but much of that demand seems to be from people "impluse buying" without knowing what they are really getting into. Many also being bought for kids as birthday presents etc. Again this is a problem with many animals, not just torts.
Splinter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2015, 07:36 PM   #15
Stellanne
Hatchling

But surely, the point of 're homing' is to make sure the tort is being homed in a suitable place whether it's a hatchling or older. All tortoises going to places from where they are hatched are 'rehomed'.
I would think 'experience keepers only' is very short sighted. Who would know if I said I have kept torts for 40 years and had and outdoors set up like (mmmm chose any I fancy from any forum).....
The important thing is ....can you give this tort a good home..... X x x hugs x x
Stellanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2015, 11:00 PM   #16
Ozric Jonathan
Adult

Some of the re-homing organisations do require the person looking for a tortoise to have certain facilities and sometimes experience. I've seen messages from people before saying they were found wanting and 'not allowed' to have a re-homer.