Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Mediterranean Tortoises - Information & Questions

Old 10-09-2012, 01:23 AM   #1
Set
Egg

Send a message via MSN to Set
Default Aggressive behavior?

Not sure how to classify it, I guess. I got two greeks, from the same parents, but born one year apart from each other.

I previously thought one to be male and the other female but now not so sure. The oldest is 4 and the other is 3. I thought they were different sexed but now don't know because they seem to both have curved plastron. Still not sure I guess.

Anyhow, it started a few weeks ago I'd imagine. The younger of the two, who I thought to be female has been "ramming" the bigger one. When I was once visiting the breeder who I bought both of mine from his torts were doing the same thing. The smaller was the male and it was ramming the female as well. He said it was due to hormones or whatever and eventually the female would get annoyed and turn around to retaliate and try to flip the other one over or something, he made it said almost comical.

Well I'm not sure. Do two males do this to each other as well? I've never witnessed the older one reciprocating anything remotely similar.

I also caught the little one mounting the bigger of the two with it's mouth open once. I did get a picture.. I picked it up to see what's gotten into it and the bottom of the tail (where it goes into shell) was all damp. But if they are both males I'm not sure why they would do that? To show dominance or something?

Maybe they are different sexes then? I just want to make sure this behavior won't have any ill effect on the older tortoise. It does not seem to cause physical damage whatsoever and I've not seen any for of biting from either but I do not want the older one to be stressed out either. Maybe they need separating or something?

Any advice is appreciated!

Sorry for crummy quality it's a bad cell phone shot.
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/337/57163447.jpg/
Set is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 07:43 AM   #2
sandy
Adult

One male will try and dominate the other, to become alpha male.
Two females generally wont do this unless they are gravid.
Male and female will do this for obvious reasons.

http://groups.yahoo.com/groups/tortoisefriends
sandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 09:41 PM   #3
Easter Bunny
Adult

You could post photos in the sexing thread and see what people think. x
Old 10-09-2012, 10:04 PM   #4
Shelled Lady
Juvenile

We do need to see what the tails are like, so a plastron picture is required. I would suggest you seperate these tortoises. In the long run they are both going to suffer stress, so do it now before hibernation.
Shelled Lady is offline   Reply With Quote