Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Edible Weeds, Diet & Suppliments

Old 12-04-2017, 09:08 PM   #11
Jan W
Sub Adult

Forget me not is very pretty but does become rampant,

Last year I grew nasturtiums which they gobbled up once and then never touched them again. Cosmos they turned their noses up.

Thanks for all the ideas.
Old 12-04-2017, 11:24 PM   #12
emma_mcraf
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan W View Post
Forget me not is very pretty but does become rampant,

Last year I grew nasturtiums which they gobbled up once and then never touched them again. Cosmos they turned their noses up.

Thanks for all the ideas.
Mine eat nasturtium and they're so easy to grow but are a magnet to black fly and cabbage white caterpillars but we've had fun watching the metamorphosis process.
I've only grown cosmos once and they put on an amazing display but it was pre-tortoise days and I haven't considered them since. No room for them this year but if they're not palatable I probably wouldn't bother. Thanks for the advice on the forget me not. I'll keep a close eye on keeping it under control, presuming it grows well in the first instance.

Testudo Hermanni 5.12.2:Theo, Tamara, Tabitha, Harriet, Isabelle, Clara, Oscar, Hugo, Oliver, Florence, Arabella, Esmé, Aurelia, Felicia, Claudia, Atticus, Celestia, Amaris, Tristan and Clementine
Budgies: Jasper, Ivo, Otis, Henry, Louie and Luca
Doggies: 1.1.0 Chester and Lottie

emma_mcraf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2017, 04:19 PM   #13
CherryBrandy
Adult

I have failed miserably - I didn't one picky of anyone eating !

No food was harmed in the making of these photos.

....my boy cheesed off he didn't get a dandelion flower only a leaf and he ignored that and chased me !

Also a sunbathing Horsfield who wont eat his dinner in preference to his stone. its like UK ayers rock.

and peak a boo....none of my nasturtiums seeds have come up so will try a plant next.

Old 13-04-2017, 04:20 PM   #14
CherryBrandy
Adult

oo hloving the other photos by the way. I like this thread as combined flowers and tortoises. cant get better. well it can ..ragnar and all that but im a realist. CB
Old 13-04-2017, 05:39 PM   #15
Suze65
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by emma_mcraf View Post
Mine eat nasturtium and they're so easy to grow but are a magnet to black fly and cabbage white caterpillars but we've had fun watching the metamorphosis process.
I've only grown cosmos once and they put on an amazing display but it was pre-tortoise days and I haven't considered them since. No room for them this year but if they're not palatable I probably wouldn't bother. Thanks for the advice on the forget me not. I'll keep a close eye on keeping it under control, presuming it grows well in the first instance.
I have never been able to grow nasturtium because of the blumin black fly!
It's so nice to hear what you are all growing in you're gardens.

3 THB, Sammy, Jemima, & Phoebe
7 Marginated, Tabitha, Ptolome, Tatiana, Noah,Lottey, Lulu & Poppy
1 TGG (Emma) RIP Feb 2012
Suze65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2017, 05:57 PM   #16
emma_mcraf
Adult

Is that Papa Un in the first piccie? What a look he gave you for daring to take a photo. He doesn't look amused!!
I saw a still from Ragnar's last scene!!!! I knew it was coming and how but you're going to need a stiff drink to watch it. Have you got the second part yet?
I'm happy it's Thorsday (see what I did?) as it's my Uhtred night. Favourite day of the week at the moment.

Suze, nasturtiums are a real lure to them. Such a pain as they look so nice (the nasturtiums not the pests!!). Last year I blasted them with soapy water in a sprayer and it helped loads. The trick is to get them on the stem before they set up home on the flowers and leaves. Then a good wash and rinse before feeding.

Testudo Hermanni 5.12.2:Theo, Tamara, Tabitha, Harriet, Isabelle, Clara, Oscar, Hugo, Oliver, Florence, Arabella, Esmé, Aurelia, Felicia, Claudia, Atticus, Celestia, Amaris, Tristan and Clementine

Old 13-04-2017, 10:44 PM   #17
Jan W
Sub Adult

CB - 3 great photos. You really manage to capture such interesting shots.
Old 15-04-2017, 04:39 PM   #18
CherryBrandy
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suze65 View Post
I have never been able to grow nasturtium because of the blumin black fly!
It's so nice to hear what you are all growing in you're gardens.
Mine didn't come back this year so not happy !! apparently there are black nasturtiums also which may try and grow. I just get hold of the stem and then pull up towards the flower and the whole lot are pulled off - takes a while though !

Quote:
Originally Posted by emma_mcraf View Post
Is that Papa Un in the first piccie? What a look he gave you for daring to take a photo. He doesn't look amused!!
I saw a still from Ragnar's last scene!!!! I knew it was coming and how but you're going to need a stiff drink to watch it. Have you got the second part yet?
I'm happy it's Thorsday (see what I did?) as it's my Uhtred night. Favourite day of the week at the moment.

Suze, nasturtiums are a real lure to them. Such a pain as they look so nice (the nasturtiums not the pests!!). Last year I blasted them with soapy water in a sprayer and it helped loads. The trick is to get them on the stem before they set up home on the flowers and leaves. Then a good wash and rinse before feeding.
forgot about that - fairy liquid works apparently. He is tarquin ! my male Ibera - he is such a sweetie but I know my place !! And not seen Series 4 yet part one as was going to wait for part 2 ...I am not sure if I am just putting of the inevitable because in history it wasn't a nice way to go !! mind you you could see it coming back into fashion in some parts of the world.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan W View Post
CB - 3 great photos. You really manage to capture such interesting shots.
thanks Jan, mine haven't eaten for a few days so catching nothing at all. Suns out but suppose its just a bit too chilly CB
Old 15-04-2017, 04:40 PM   #19
CherryBrandy
Adult

like Basingstoke Emma...
Old 15-04-2017, 05:57 PM   #20
emma_mcraf
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by CherryBrandy View Post

forgot about that - fairy liquid works apparently. He is tarquin ! my male Ibera - he is such a sweetie but I know my place !! And not seen Series 4 yet part one as was going to wait for part 2 ...I am not sure if I am just putting of the inevitable because in history it wasn't a nice way to go !! mind you you could see it coming back into fashion in some parts of the world.
He's gorgeous! Tarquin, that is. Although Ragnar has a certain something about him.
I know - there's no beating the inevitable when it's recorded in history. Dreading watching it. Not least because they're my least favourite animal and I'll have utter nightmares afterwards.