Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Mediterranean Tortoises - Information & Questions

Old 18-12-2011, 11:00 PM   #21
NATURALIS
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by its_just_emma View Post
I was thinking the 100w would be alot cooler but if it's got to be 12" from bottom of lamp to torts back i'm not managing that I can't raise it anymore than 10.5" from bottom of bulb to substrate?
yes i understand but the tortoise wont be as low as the substrate so about 1 1/2 inches higher to the back of tortoise
Old 18-12-2011, 11:14 PM   #22
its_just_emma
Egg

yeah exactly so the bulb will be even closer to the tort...if it's 10.5" from the substrate it'll be 9" from the tort and it has to be 12"....9" is too close?
its_just_emma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2011, 11:17 PM   #23
NATURALIS
Adult

Quote:
yeah exactly so the bulb will be even closer to the tort...if it's 10.5" from the substrate it'll be 9" from the tort and it has to be 12"....9" is too close?
i get what your talking about , but dont understand why the temps to low, is the room cool
Old 18-12-2011, 11:23 PM   #24
its_just_emma
Egg

Quote:
Originally Posted by red foot marg View Post
i get what your talking about , but dont understand why the temps to low, is the room cool
the temp is fine now its at 35c at the light and 24c at the cool end, and at night it sits at 16-18c it was the thermometer that wasn't working right cause it was a metal prob, it's more meant for hanging in a heated room, gonna take it back to the guy tomorrow and tell him what happened. it's the distance away from the tort for the uv i'm worried about now, cause i can't raise it up on the wooden arm anymore?? so it's too close.
Old 18-12-2011, 11:33 PM   #25
NATURALIS
Adult

i nkow they run cooler than heat bulbs but don't understand why your strugling , all mine are arcadia 160's and work fine
Old 18-12-2011, 11:51 PM   #26
its_just_emma
Egg

Quote:
i nkow they run cooler than heat bulbs but don't understand why your strugling , all mine are arcadia 160's and work fine
well my temps now are 35c at lamp end, 25c at cool end and between 15c and 18c at night when everything is off.....so they are perfect temps are they not?

It's the adjustable lamp arm on the table that the guy made, you can lower and highten the lamp to what's needed but the lamp arm obviously isn't high enough to let you get the 12" I need It's only allowing 10.5" before I run out of movement. My husband is trying to clamp it on higher without using the adjustable rod bit as we speak, so we get the 12" and the heat aswell

sorry about all the questions chris, it's stressing me the hell out ha!!!
Old 18-12-2011, 11:56 PM   #27
NATURALIS
Adult

Quote:
well my temps now are 35c at lamp end, 25c at cool end and between 15c and 18c at night when everything is off.....so they are perfect temps are they not?

It's the adjustable lamp arm on the table that the guy made, you can lower and highten the lamp to what's needed but the lamp arm obviously isn't high enough to let you get the 12" I need It's only allowing 10.5" before I run out of movement. My husband is trying to clamp it on higher without using the adjustable rod bit as we speak, so we get the 12" and the heat aswell

sorry about all the questions chris, it's stressing me the hell out ha!!!
you know i'm always here to help, i want you to get it right
Old 19-12-2011, 12:03 AM   #28
its_just_emma
Egg

Quote:
you know i'm always here to help, i want you to get it right
yeah thanks, i'm just worried incase something happens to her and she gets ill or dies.....you must have yours clamped 12" from lamp to all your torts back then?

don't get me wrong she's very happy and lively, she eats fine, poo's a ridiculous number of times a day hahaha, throws herself of her climbing stuff, does laps round the table, enjoys wanders about the livingroom floor and loves her wee baths....
Old 19-12-2011, 12:10 AM   #29
NATURALIS
Adult

Quote:
yeah thanks, i'm just worried incase something happens to her and she gets ill or dies.....you must have yours clamped 12" from lamp to all your torts back then?

don't get me wrong she's very happy and lively, she eats fine, poo's a ridiculous number of times a day hahaha, throws herself of her climbing stuff, does laps round the table, enjoys wanders about the livingroom floor and loves her wee baths....
TBH most of my lamps are more like 14 inches above the tortoise's , but if she's active and eating that's fine
Old 19-12-2011, 12:19 AM   #30
its_just_emma
Egg

Quote:
TBH most of my lamps are more like 14 inches above the tortoise's , but if she's active and eating that's fine
All sorted now the husband has managed to clamp it 14" from the substrate so that'll make it 12.5" from the tort, and it's getting 36c *sigh of relief* time for bed! Thanks for your help.