Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Mediterranean Tortoises - Information & Questions

Old 06-03-2017, 07:45 PM   #21
sandy
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by msasa19 View Post
Well George has decided he wants to try and escape from this table. It is a little small and I did think about getting a bigger one, any suggestions? He has almost made it over the side of his current one, there is chicken wire over the top but he could push it off and I feel he's a bit stressed
As you have found out Horsfields are the Houdini's of the tortoise world. All tortoises will climb, but Horsfields are the worst.
If anything is around the edge of the enclosure they will climb up it. And especially corners, as they can and do shimmy up them.

http://groups.yahoo.com/groups/tortoisefriends
sandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 08:55 PM   #22
Jan W
Sub Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by msasa19 View Post
Well George has decided he wants to try and escape from this table. It is a little small and I did think about getting a bigger one, any suggestions? He has almost made it over the side of his current one, there is chicken wire over the top but he could push it off and I feel he's a bit stressed
You probably need to go up a size. My 9 year olds are now in their 5th house, but hopefully this will be their final home. As they got older they just seemed to need more and more space and I realised they walk a long way and are very fast.

There are lots of ideas on here about doing this cheaply. So perhaps have a hunt through the threads for ideas.

The second home we had we added frosted perplex to the sides. They hadn't tried to get out but I knew they could at some stage.

They currently have a converted wardrobe on its back! This has been the best yet I think. But then I have space to do this.
Old 07-03-2017, 05:37 PM   #23
CherryBrandy
Adult

put a lip on then usually doesn't matter if height is low any tortoise can not get over a lip. try and experiment with a stone over a lip. Its impossible unless you are Tom Cruise in Mission Impossible and he did scale one handed with torso sweating in the sunshine over a cliff edge. My advice with a Horsfield and he is indoors if you can take away one side and let him roam safely within four walls then he will be happy. No wires, clean etc. Never ever under estimate a Horsfield, mine scale chicken wire, gone through a redundant drainpipe where you would think nothing could fit through, and transversed walls. Incredible. They are like velocoraptors. even my babies will jump onto of each other to scale a vertical wall. lucky for me I know their little critter ways....! CB