Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Mediterranean Tortoises - Information & Questions

Old 28-10-2014, 03:54 PM   #1
HK226
Egg

Default Unexpected new family member!

Hi everyone.

I have unexpectedly had to adopt my brother's horsfield/Russian tortoise who was being neglected

I have read a lot online and I think I know the basics. I don't think I have everything I need for him yet but will be getting what he needs as soon as possible.

When I brought him home he was in a guinea pig cage with a heat mat, sawdust and hay. They had been feeling him only on cauliflower and grapes.

As far as I have read he can't have fruit, only as an occasional treat? I have been pointed in the direction of some wonderful websites that tell me what he can and can't eat. I've found some suitable garden weeds. I know the heat mat is a no no so that's been binned. I used to keep guinea pigs and they weren't supposed to have sawdust because it is bad for their eyes and lungs. So I assumed it's the same for tortoises? That seems to be what I have read anyway. I had nothing in last night so used shredded paper but I have managed to get some top soil today (from a garden centre). I spoke to the vet who mentioned some special sand? However I can't remember what they called it. I also had a light but it didn't have a label. The websites I have been looking at seem to all say that he needs either a full spectrum light (?) or separate uv-a and uv-b lights and a basking lamp. I've been told that the light I have is just the UV light so I have bought another holder and a basking lamp. He seems quite happy under the basking lamp. I am unfortunately unable to get him a better home straight away (I wouldn't know where sells them so will need to order one online today) so have managed to find a large drawer at a used furniture shop. I've set him up in there with some topsoil (enough so he can dig about), a shelter type thing, the lights on one side and a cooler side. He has some lettuce and some safe leaves from the garden.

Umm I think that's it.

Am I doing OK? I've been so worried about him. I want to do the best for him. Is there anything else I need to know/do/buy? I'm trying to get the essentials for now then will get the other non-essentials as soon as I can.
HK226 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2014, 09:52 PM   #2
lonelylayla
Sub Adult

Hello and welcome Sounds like you are doing a grand job - out with the sawdust, hay, fruit etc and in with the topsoil, heat, UV, weeds Many of us convert bookcases, wardrobes etc to make a home for our tort/s - it so much cheaper than buying a tortoise table which is quite often a bit small and the sides aren't high enough once you have a good depth of soil in. If you post a pic of your set up we can try and offer helpful suggestions He will need access to water, ideally should be bathed at least once a week, have a piece of slate or similar to eat off (keeps the beak trim), nutrobal/limestone flour dusted on his food and a piece of cuttlefish.

TG Terresteris 1:3:1 Apollo & Layla, Santa, Helpa & Unig
TG Iberia 2:3:0 Tonka, LJ, Persephone, Cleo & Clyde
Saffron TGG RIP Jaunary 2019
Jasper, Harry & Ruby pussy cats
4 ex bat hens.
lonelylayla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2014, 09:57 PM   #3
Merlin M
Adult

Hi, welcome and I agree with Lynne!
Merlin M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2014, 02:23 PM   #4
Suze65
Adult

Welcome and well done, sounds like your doing a great job.

3 THB, Sammy, Jemima, & Phoebe
7 Marginated, Tabitha, Ptolome, Tatiana, Noah,Lottey, Lulu & Poppy
1 TGG (Emma) RIP Feb 2012
Suze65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2014, 05:41 PM   #5
sandy
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by HK226 View Post
Hi everyone.

I have unexpectedly had to adopt my brother's horsfield/Russian tortoise who was being neglected

I have read a lot online and I think I know the basics. I don't think I have everything I need for him yet but will be getting what he needs as soon as possible.

When I brought him home he was in a guinea pig cage with a heat mat, sawdust and hay. They had been feeling him only on cauliflower and grapes.

As far as I have read he can't have fruit, only as an occasional treat? I have been pointed in the direction of some wonderful websites that tell me what he can and can't eat. I've found some suitable garden weeds. I know the heat mat is a no no so that's been binned. I used to keep guinea pigs and they weren't supposed to have sawdust because it is bad for their eyes and lungs. So I assumed it's the same for tortoises? That seems to be what I have read anyway. I had nothing in last night so used shredded paper but I have managed to get some top soil today (from a garden centre). I spoke to the vet who mentioned some special sand? However I can't remember what they called it. I also had a light but it didn't have a label. The websites I have been looking at seem to all say that he needs either a full spectrum light (?) or separate uv-a and uv-b lights and a basking lamp. I've been told that the light I have is just the UV light so I have bought another holder and a basking lamp. He seems quite happy under the basking lamp. I am unfortunately unable to get him a better home straight away (I wouldn't know where sells them so will need to order one online today) so have managed to find a large drawer at a used furniture shop. I've set him up in there with some topsoil (enough so he can dig about), a shelter type thing, the lights on one side and a cooler side. He has some lettuce and some safe leaves from the garden.

Umm I think that's it.

Am I doing OK? I've been so worried about him. I want to do the best for him. Is there anything else I need to know/do/buy? I'm trying to get the essentials for now then will get the other non-essentials as soon as I can.

Your doing great.
I wouldn't worry to much about a larger home just yet. Getting his conditions is just as important. And sometimes to many changes all at once can stress a tortoise out. So changing things slowly can be good.
Feel free to ask any questions even if they seem silly, the only silly question is the one not asked:0)

http://groups.yahoo.com/groups/tortoisefriends
sandy is offline   Reply With Quote