Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Off Topic > General Discussion

Old 04-07-2016, 11:07 AM   #1
Johnny Wizz
Egg

Default Hermann tortoise worry

We have serious concerns about our two and a half year old Hermann. She (we think female!) is simply not eating. She had a bad start in a viv with another more aggressive tortoise. We rehomed the other more aggressive one and put her in to a tortoise table. She has an Exo Terra lamp withe a dual purpose 80 watt bulb. This delivers a daytime temperature range across the table between 21 and 29. We have her on a Komodo brand tortoise substrate. We are bathing her regularly. We have tried her on various lettuces, she will occasionally take a bite of Lamb lettuce, dandelion and plantain, both of which she just ignores. She is slowly losing weight and we don't know how to stop this. Any help would be appreciated.
Johnny Wizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 06:10 PM   #2
NATURALIS
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Wizz View Post
We have serious concerns about our two and a half year old Hermann. She (we think female!) is simply not eating. She had a bad start in a viv with another more aggressive tortoise. We rehomed the other more aggressive one and put her in to a tortoise table. She has an Exo Terra lamp withe a dual purpose 80 watt bulb. This delivers a daytime temperature range across the table between 21 and 29. We have her on a Komodo brand tortoise substrate. We are bathing her regularly. We have tried her on various lettuces, she will occasionally take a bite of Lamb lettuce, dandelion and plantain, both of which she just ignores. She is slowly losing weight and we don't know how to stop this. Any help would be appreciated.
Hi Johnny.
A couple of things , first your basing temp could be a little low 32/34c is about right. Secondly how old is your bulb because in some bulbs the uvb levels drop off quite quickly.
It would be worth finding someone on here who has mazuri pellets there good for getting tortoises feeding.
Old 04-07-2016, 09:10 PM   #3
Ozric Jonathan
Adult

Hi Johnny. I agree with Naturalis that your temps are a bit low, especially if the tortoise isn't eating well.

I haven't used that specific lamp but I have tried another make at that wattage and I thought it was feeble.

I don't like any of the commercial substrates and some of them have caused problems. If it has white bits in it, there is a possibility your tortoise has been eating them and that can cause digestion problems.
Old 04-07-2016, 11:59 PM   #4
burnt toast
Adult

Hello Jonny
I agree with all the advise above. Are you bathing the tort regularly? I could send you some Mazuri to try. You need to make 5 posts house private message. So perhaps look in photo section and comment on a few. Then send me your address☺
burnt toast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 12:05 AM   #5
burnt toast
Adult

Sorry predictive text keeps "correcting"things! Should have said " to use" sorry.
burnt toast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 11:21 PM   #6
Pippa123
Egg

Hi substrate is usually half soil half sand but at Mo I'm using propet Mediterranean tortoise substrate from Jolleys and they are doing well..agree with other chaps that your temps are too low..mega ray bulbs are said to be one of best and buy a lamp holder too..once tort is warm enough it should start eating as they are reptiles and therefore cold blooded. Good luck
Pippa123 is offline   Reply With Quote