Super Moderator
Adult

i meant do good summers still exist

i tried the boxes in the outdoor enclosure but they never went in them
Alan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 10:57 PM   #12
Ozric Jonathan
Adult

Ah right got you now Alan. Interesting your torts didnt like the boxes. If you had other sheltered places around they maybe preferred what they had already.
Old 06-12-2011, 11:00 PM   #13
Alan1
Super Moderator
Adult

aye I think it was too open inside the boxes maybe, could have put pots inside but that would have been pointless really as they would get more uv outside the box in a pot
Old 06-12-2011, 11:23 PM   #14
romski
Incubating

Default UVb transluscent plastic.

Guys,

Please be very careful what you buy.
Alltop is about £180 a sheet and a min order is 12 sheets or at least it was when I asked.

The uv polycarb or perspex is also +£100 a sheet as Frances and I split a sheet. Anything cheaper please question, get a sample and test with a proper UV meter.

Low iron glass that is used in the latest high efficiency double glazing installations is now my choice as it still lets in good UV but is loads cheaper.

Clearview is one brand name. Pilkington do a version and so do a Japanese comapany Asahi. Its about £30 sq metre. You dont need much, my greenhouse has just 4 panes at the bottom. Its 4mm thick.

Glue it with good quality silicone.

Rom
romski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 11:49 PM   #15
Ozric Jonathan
Adult

There is definately some cheap acrylic around that is more than 50% uvb transmitting and C and A are one of the firms that sell it. I got some, and did my own tests with a meter.

Acrylics actually start off being uv transmitting but then they get a drop of somthing added to stop the uv. Why? Because if they don't the acrylic goes downhill quickly when exposed to uv light. The very cheapest acrylics are often uv transmitting because money was saved in not coating them.

I agee with Rom though, people selling things will say anything you want to hear.

I havne't tried the low iron glass which sounds interesting.

Plexiglass Alltop works very well but is expensive. And you cannot build your own structures easily with it because it is very much thicker than standard double glazing, so none of the usual other fittings work with it.
Old 07-12-2011, 07:17 AM   #16
Geomyda
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burno View Post
I remember reading something by Andy Highfield that he had used them very successfully at the begining of the season. Suppose it depends how exposed your area was to the elements as I dont know how strong they would be.
Again recently, Tortoise trust members were promised that the new Special issue of the Newsletter, was with the printers and would be posted out before Christmas.
Has anyone received it yet?
Poly tunnels, and their UV transmission qualities would I think make a useful subject for the membership. So too the various plastic glazing materials as alternative to Glass in greenhouses.
Geomyda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 07:44 AM   #17
Alan1
Super Moderator
Adult

A few people on here use the sunbed sheets, no idea how long it lasts or how much it lets through.

I was in touch with a company in Gateshead who sold Plexiglass and was offered an offcut but I wasn't convinced the girl I was dealing with knew what she was talking about and I wasn't convinced it was Alltop rather than one of the other types. I posted it on here at the time.

I know a place where there are greenhouses that are really ancient and falling down, I suspect that the glass will be old enough to be UV transmitting but they are all small panes
Old 07-12-2011, 08:46 AM   #18
Arcadiajohn
Hatched

Hi everyone,

This is so frustrating! We have been actively trying to source transmissive material in sheet for at least 5 years. Every sample we get in both plastics and glass and despite promises is almost useless for captive reptile use.

I understand that the scottish company that markets "solarcryl" is probably the best option but I still have big hesitations.

NOTHING can compare to the sun! It would be so great to have a safe and protected enclosure for captive herps to spend time in direct and natural sunlight.

The issues with these plastics are, a huge cut in transmission of UV. And a massive % of degradation in this transmission in quite a short time.

For instance all of the plastics that we have tested have cut UV at best around 30% from new and then they fall off over the first month or two, right down to around 80%.

A forum user in the uk has been advising keepers to use a low iron glass from a very big brand. Again upon testing although very clear and light transmissive there was an instant cut of 43% in UVB.

Due to the wide range of solar meters it isnalso impossible to tell what wavelengths are being bloced. Worst case nothing at 297 would mean that the animal could struggle to complete the D3 cycle.

Now, mouldable plastics tend to fair better. In fact out 11w arc pod is shortly available in a transmissive form with a 7% 11w compact lamp. There is still a drop in transmission but only around 7-12%, so we up tye power of the lamp to compensate for the drop.

I sincerely hope someone cracks this issue long term!

John
www.arcadia-reptile.com/reptile-care-books

Please join us on Facebook, Arcadia reptile
www.Arcadia-reptile.com
Arcadiajohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 02:06 PM   #19
Ozric Jonathan
Adult

I don't agree with John that all these products are almost useless. For most keepers a product like plexiglass alltop is used instead of normal glass. So although 30% of uvb is lost, 70% is retained compared to zero through normal glass. I wouldn't call that almost useless but rather useful!

Alltop is the established product and has about 66% uvb transmission at new. Yes it does decline a bit but not to the extent John suggests.

In relation to uvb meters as far as I know nothng short of the solarmeter 6.2 from solartech is worth bothering with.

There is definately scope for new materials and products but the UK market is small. The sector is more deveoped in Germany where there are various reptile enclsoures on the market made from uv transmitting materials.
Old 09-12-2011, 11:16 AM   #20
Arcadiajohn
Hatched

I can only quote our controlled lab findings, and use this info to push the best of care possible with the tech available.

Personally I wouldn't market it, so that's the advice I happily give.

It is the level of degradation despite the manufacturer claims, that concerns me most.

John

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozric Jonathan View Post
I don't agree with John that all these products are almost useless. For most keepers a product like plexiglass alltop is used instead of normal glass. So although 30% of uvb is lost, 70% is retained compared to zero through normal glass. I wouldn't call that almost useless but rather useful!

Alltop is the established product and has about 66% uvb transmission at new. Yes it does decline a bit but not to the extent John suggests.

In relation to uvb meters as far as I know nothng short of the solarmeter 6.2 from solartech is worth bothering with.

There is definately scope for new materials and products but the UK market is small. The sector is more deveoped in Germany where there are various reptile enclsoures on the market made from uv transmitting materials.
www.arcadia-reptile.com/reptile-care-books

Please join us on Facebook, Arcadia reptile
www.Arcadia-reptile.com
Arcadiajohn is offline   Reply With Quote