Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Evolving Husbandry

Old 26-09-2011, 10:49 PM   #1
Ozric Jonathan
Adult

Question new arcadia T5 D3+ tubes

This is the fancy new tube.

Anyone used it? If so, what is the uvb spread like and what else have you found about it in use?

Thank-you
Old 27-09-2011, 07:17 AM   #2
Alan1
Super Moderator
Adult

I would like to know too but I've asked this twice before and got no replies

Where are you seeing those prices BTW? I was looking here but for the 12% reptile bulbs it does not give a length

Edit.. going by the wattages and lengths of the 6% bulbs I thing the 12% ones must be 22inch, 34inch and 46inch and prices £19, £21 and £24 and the ballasts £36 for the twin ones

Last edited by Alan1; 27-09-2011 at 07:36 AM.
Alan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2011, 09:56 AM   #3
Ozric Jonathan
Adult

Alan I was looking at the Arcadia T5 electronic controller suitable for 48" T5 tubes which comes in at £59.94 (888Reptiles)

48" T5 tubes D3+ are £29.09 each. I was assuming two if the tubes were to be the uvb source.

Forgetting Jodie's example for a minute, if a keeper has say a 5 foot by 4 foot table then I think this is the set-up they would require using this system and ic omes to £119.12 which is not a cheap way to do it. Thats without reflectors. Heat of course would be provided separately and at additional cost.

It does look like the uvb would be widely spread and there would also be a lot of general light off it.

I don't think the cheaper controller is suitable with this tube.

My reckoning is that just having a short tube of this would not be enough, it would need to be down the whole length on each side of the table. But I could easily be wrong about aspects of this.

Last edited by Ozric Jonathan; 27-09-2011 at 10:00 AM.
Ozric Jonathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2011, 10:26 AM   #4
Alan1
Super Moderator
Adult

I'm pretty sure the T5 controllers are okay and are just an older model

£36 for the controller, £24 ea for the 46" 12% bulbs http://www.surreypetsupplies.co.uk/arcadia-t5-lighting/
Old 27-09-2011, 10:52 AM   #5
Ozric Jonathan
Adult

Sorry Alan- checked again and you are correct. I think John was saying the new controller is 'better' in some way but that one at £36 should do it like you say.

With reflectors it would be about £104.

All we need now is someone to actually try it out!
Old 27-09-2011, 11:06 AM   #6
Alan1
Super Moderator
Adult

You would think that someone would have tried them but as I say I have asked a couple of times without success. I might have done it but I wan't to keep going with my MV bulbs to test how long they are still good for so that could be another year away going by the slow rate of deterioration.

The only thing that bothers me about them is the number of electrical sockets I'd need because of the 2 heat bulbs required as well. I only have one socket there and use an extension
Old 27-09-2011, 12:39 PM   #7
wigwamman
Juvenile

hi guys, i have t5s retro fitted in fish tank,much brighter than t8s, but i see the extra costs as a stumbling block .i know we all want to do the best for our animals but i have short arms and deep pockets lol.
wigwamman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2011, 01:22 PM   #8
burnt toast
Adult

I went to a talk on UV by Francis Bains (I think it was, a vet who studies UV)
Very informative with numerous diagrams, measurements & physical demonstrations indicating the spread, & quality of UV given off by a huge selection of different types of UV emitting bulbs.

Her independant studies showed the Arcadia T5 tubes to be very impressive, with a large area covered & good quality of UV.

I havent yet used them personally.
burnt toast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2011, 01:41 PM   #9
Ozric Jonathan
Adult

Thanks Lynn for that. Frances is very knowledgable and has tested a large number of uv emitting lamps over recent years.

As Dave Kirkie noted in another thread, these tubes are really quite high output and might not need reflectors when they are at their best.
Old 27-09-2011, 04:27 PM   #10
Arcadiajohn
Hatched

Hi guys and gals,

The T5 system represents the biggest jump forward in reptile care since we moved from black lights!

These high output lamps emit 2-3 times more light and relative UV than even our T8s. So in short the power of the D3+ is roughly the same as a 100w M.V lamp, but as I always point out, all along the tube!

So good levels of UVA and UVB, 100% protection from UVC and a good natural daylight colour.

They are flicker free due the high output, high frequency controller which is incidentally £40+ cheaper than this time last year.

The cost savings against MV are very high if you have a good separate way of heating the enclosure.

The lamps will last a full YEAR like all Arcadia lamps.

The spread of UV is a very difficult thing to answer in short it is as wide or as short as your reflector allows, the Arcadia T5 reflector is asymmetric and allows you to place light where you want it.

Sorry for the delay in reply, I don't get email alerts from thisnforum so if anything is urgent please feel free to email me at arcadiareptile@Arcadia-uk.com

Hope this answers some questions!

Also see the new PRK mag out this week for the uv readings of T8 vrs T5 with and with our reflectors and against M.V

John.
www.arcadia-reptile.com/reptile-care-books

Please join us on Facebook, Arcadia reptile
www.Arcadia-reptile.com
Arcadiajohn is offline   Reply With Quote