Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Mediterranean Tortoises - Information & Questions

Old 12-12-2011, 10:06 PM   #1
Steve Graffham
Egg

Default Early hibernation concerns

My 3 hermanns have been hibernating in their fridge at 5 degrees centigrade for 2 weeks after a wind down period of 4 weeks including a 3 week period of nil feeding. I have practised this method before successfully. However, this year when i inspected the torts after being in the fridge for 2 weeks, i discovered that,Tallulah my breeding female who is 10 years old and weighed 1175 grammes 2 weeks ago has urinated and defecated and now weighs 1088 grammes. I have cleaned her box and replaced the wet shredded paper and she seems to have settled. I'm a bit concerned at such a weight loss (7.4%) and am wondering whether or not to continue with the hibernation for fear of her getting dehydrated. I normally only allow a hibernation period of 12-14 weeks. Her length is 19 cms and even with a weight of 1088 grammes, is according to the Jackson graph still within the parameters of being a safe weight to hibernate. Has anyone encountered this situation before? I would be grateful for advice opinions.
Steve Graffham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 11:26 PM   #2
egyptiandan64
Super Moderator
Adult

It is a bit low, but you can get her out and soak her in 15C water for 20 to 25 minutes. Dry her off throughly and put her back into her box in the fridge. This should bring her weight up some and dehydration shouldn't be a concern. You can do this once a month during hibernation, if you feel it's neccessary.

Danny
Old 13-12-2011, 06:03 AM   #3
Steve Graffham
Egg

Thanks for your advice Danny. I will bring her out and give her a soak, I'll feel more reassured with continuing her hibernation.
Steve Graffham is offline   Reply With Quote