Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Mediterranean Tortoises - Information & Questions

Old 02-09-2015, 06:48 PM   #1
shrimpie
Egg

Default help needed

Hi, I've had my two torts for 6 months, when I got them they were really healthy, their shells nice and hard, they are going soft (under shell) My vet told me he thinks the problem is the UVA/UVB tube, so I brought a 100w power sun bulb the temp in the table (hottest spot) is 90 and the coolest spot is 30 are these temps ok? and can anyone recommend a tasty treat to get them to eat so I can get their vitamins and calcium into them, they were eating until I took them to the vets which is 60 miles away. How long should I let the stay in their tort run in the garden, at the moment I only leave them out side if its sunny and reasonably warm (and not raining) they have a sheltered bit at the end of the run. thank you for reading this and I hope someone will be able to advise me, as I don't want my torts to suffer, and I really don't want to rehome them thanks shrimpie
shrimpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 07:20 PM   #2
CherryBrandy
Adult

evening Shrimpie and welcome to the site. You perhaps need to explain what your torts are and how old they are for a more accurate response. I think I am right in saying if they are v young as in hatchlings their shells are soft for a little while, but grown , older ones you have a problem you need to correct fast. Again depends on species. I keep my older spurs if overwintering due to illness or my little ones slightly cooler between 26 - 29 degrees - I find keeps them active and cooler end house temps - 22 odd. If you have tubes again I think I am right in saying the UV part only last around 6 months so you need to keep testing. Combie bulb are good but not sure what a power sun bulb is. If they have the right requirements they should have rock hard shells as you know - can you test the UV part? CB