Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Non Med Species - Information & Questions

Old 05-08-2015, 03:11 PM   #1
Robbiec
Egg

Question UVB in the Vivarium?

Hello,

Here goes with my potentially first 'naive' question...

I'm in the process of acquiring all the relevant items for my hatchling Red Foot and I am at a loss as to whether a UVB should be added to the Viv or not?

I understand UVB's to be potentially damaging to hatchling torte's sensitive eyes however in order to absorb the necessary calcium to stimulate healthy growth they require Vit D4 (which can be provided in a supplement). I understand adult redfoots will absorb the D4 through natural UV rays from the sun, however hatchlings are not recommended to go outdoors before their first birthday.

I'm assuming that minor 'outside time', as long as supervised, would probably be a good thing, assuming the weather permits. That said, I also consider it necessary to provide a UV light(?) in the vivarium.

Can somebody advise whether a UV light is a necessity and if so what 'type' of UV light/ power should be provided for a hatchling?

Thanks in advance!
Robbiec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 10:38 PM   #2
vikki
Hatched

Not sure about for a redfoot but I personally use an arcadia d3 combi lamp that provides heat and uv at the same time - they are expensive to buy but are guaranteed for 12 months and some tests have shown that they give out very good uv levels in excess of 2 years later. The other option is a heat source and separate uv tube the power needs can vary with species and I cant advise for a redfoot but Arcadia do some very good ones so maybe check their website
vikki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 10:43 AM   #3
Arcadiajohn
Hatched

You have some real misinformation here it is D3 that is needed and this is vital especially when young.

As will aspects of captive animal care we MUST take our advice from the wild, we supply an external source of energy that re-creates thes evolved needs in a safe and measurable way.

There are NO issues with using quality UV systems when fitted correctly and for the right period of time.

X millions of years of wild development have allowed every species to thrive, as an ectothermic species that rely on the sun directly and indirectly.

The choice of lamp is totally down to the enclosure size, so what is the size of it?

This explains more https://vimeo.com/132929989

John
www.arcadia-reptile.com/reptile-care-books

Please join us on Facebook, Arcadia reptile
www.Arcadia-reptile.com
Arcadiajohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 02:55 PM   #4
Gordon
Adult

I have found reds don't like it too bright and as for the uv I probably wouldn't go over a 5 uv tube also if you are getting a small baby make sure it has a good humid hide moss is a good thing to use.
Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 04:52 PM   #5
Robbiec
Egg

Afternoon all,

@Arcadiajohn - ofcourse you are absolutely spot on regarding Vit D3 - apologies as this is what I was referring too. And I absolutely understand this to be vital to avoid a number of potential health issues. Sorry for my incorrect reference!

As the Redfoot is a hatchling I am starting out with a Komodo Eco vivarium (dimensions are: 115X60X43 CM which works out at near enough 4X2X1). Hopefully this should cover him/her until they reach around two years old by which point I intend to have built an outdoor enclosure.

As Vikki has suggested the UV light which has been recommended an Arcadia D3 (60CM) which I would fit slightly off centre (opposite from the heating lamp). I also have a reflector to assist.

The heating lamp is a 100W ceramic ''White Python'' brand.

@Gordon could you suggest a particular type of moss to put inside the Torte's hide area?

Thank you for all your feedback and advices it is thoroughly appreciated.
Old 06-08-2015, 05:45 PM   #6
Gordon
Adult

http://www.reptiles.swelluk.com/rept...ss-324449.html
Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 05:48 PM   #7
Robbiec
Egg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon View Post
Thanks Gordon.
Old 06-08-2015, 05:50 PM   #8
Arcadiajohn
Hatched

Goodness 12" high is very shallow the lamp that suggest with the reflector and fitted as part of the light and shade method is about all you can do.
www.arcadia-reptile.com/reptile-care-books

Please join us on Facebook, Arcadia reptile
www.Arcadia-reptile.com
Arcadiajohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 08:09 PM   #9
Robbiec
Egg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcadiajohn View Post
Goodness 12" high is very shallow the lamp that suggest with the reflector and fitted as part of the light and shade method is about all you can do.
@Arcadiajohn, apologies if there was any confusion in the dimensions, 43CM is the ''depth'' (front to back), which is actually equivalent to 16.3 inches. The height is 23 inches (almost 2 foot).

The lamp and UVB light are separate components as is the reflector. So the reflector isn't a necessity in the sense of it not being separate.

Sorry if I'm not very good at explaining my set up as yet!

Thanks for the help!

Robbie