Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Pictures

Old 31-03-2018, 07:51 PM   #1
mattjstar1
Hatchling

Default Inspiration needed guys

Hey,
ok guys as you can see ive still got a bit of work todo with outside garden need some ideas off you lovely lot,
Definitely need to keep the stepping stones also would like to keep patches of grass here and there
should I use slate or gravel ? whats worked best for. you guys ?
where the tortoises little doors are that doesn't get sun till later day, its a lovely blank canvas right give me your thoughts guys xx happy easter weekend guys
mattjstar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2018, 07:52 PM   #2
mattjstar1
Hatchling

Would help if I add the photo right lol x
Old 01-04-2018, 10:00 PM   #3
CherryBrandy
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattjstar1 View Post
Would help if I add the photo right lol x
yes we like a challenge ! I prefer a Jurassic park theme but as you are wales that may be hard to achieve...or is it !!! so could go beach instead ? or use slate and a scene out of the hobbit.

Ok what about cottage garden - nasturtiums are really easy to grow and great for torts to bury under and eat. Mowing the law may prove tricky so I would grow a square of long grass area and leave exits and entries and at each corner a pot with nasturtiums undulating down. Either side of the path and either side gravel or shingle and grow some tasty plants up through the gravel. I know wales likes it slate though and that's good for capturing the sunshine so a few large slates to sunbath on may be good too. I would have a wooden bench in there too - nice for shade and you to sit on. Plastic across the slats when not in use and it doubles as a cloche, CB
Old 02-04-2018, 11:57 AM   #4
Jan W
Sub Adult

I used pea shingle after CB gave me the tip. It was better than the large stones I had put down.
Old 02-04-2018, 05:31 PM   #5
mattjstar1
Hatchling

CB I just love your imagination you've gave me some good ideas gonna look into the hobbit style now on google I was going to make a start this weekend but been struck down with tummy bug, pea shingles I will also look at thanks jan x
Old 02-04-2018, 06:29 PM   #6
mattjstar1
Hatchling

Guys what size pea shingles did you buy ? x
Old 02-04-2018, 09:21 PM   #7
Jan W
Sub Adult

Quote:
I didn't know it came in different sizes! I guess the size of peas? Perhaps a little bigger. I will look at the bag as I have some more to put down and will let you know. I really like it.
Old 03-04-2018, 09:39 AM   #8
Gordon
Adult

Quote:
I would steer clear of using pea shingle it is 5-10mm in size the next size gravel is 10-20mm and will be eaten by your torts as mine do.
I'm not saying the odd bit will do them any harm as torts always eat stones which I think they do for the lime in most stones but when I put some down once they were like kids with a eat as much as you can in a sweet shop so it was promptly removed.
If you want to put something down I would go for slate or pebbles 40mm or even if it's for a walk way set some slabs into the grass as stepping stones.
Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 12:01 PM   #9
Suze65
Adult

It really is a lovely blank canvas, you can have a lot fun tortoise gardening there, plants they like to hide under like lavender, thyme, rosemary, grasses . You could build a rockery area for climbing over ( they do like a challenge) I find the edible plant usually get eaten, no surprises there, so it can be a waste of time putting those in the enclosure, I have planted holly hocks , and globe thistle behind their cold frames so the can't get to them , but the flowers drop off for them to eat, campanula is another nice edible flower and looks pretty, and of course sedum , but they will devour this if they can get at it. Last but not least Hebe is a good one for right in the enclosure , it's a nice woody plant they like to hide under, and is safe if they have a nibble.

I would also steer clear of pea shingle, shale ( slate) works well .

3 THB, Sammy, Jemima, & Phoebe
7 Marginated, Tabitha, Ptolome, Tatiana, Noah,Lottey, Lulu & Poppy
1 TGG (Emma) RIP Feb 2012
Suze65 is offline   Reply With Quote