Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Housing

Old 13-07-2016, 09:14 PM   #1
GemJam
Incubating

Default First Outside Enclosure

Hi everyone!

I am looking at creating my first outdoor enclosure for my 3 year old Hermann's tortoise. I have a large greenhouse and an area approx. 3m square to work with. 2 of the 'walls' are the fence and the third is the greenhouse and the fourth I need to create.

So far I have simply laid down chicken wire and put some soil down. And I have a number of questions to ask.

Firstly what is the best material to use to build the fourth wall? I realise a lot of people use wood, but I am worried about rotting. And I want to make sure I use a tortoise friendly and durable material.

What soil do you use? So far I have used soil from elsewhere in the garden, but I am concerned I will need something better to be able to grow my torts food and plants. I am using good old wickes top soil to grow her current food in, but a lot of plants don't seem to take to it.

My garden at the moment seems to be full of ants, what do you use to get rid of them? I assume there is nothing particularly tort friendly, she will just have to come back in her tort table. But I want to make sure I use something that won't last too long, so I can put her back outside as soon as possible.

I have looked at the pictures thread and I'm really excited about all the ideas flying around. And I'm yet to make any decisions, as there are so many options. But I want to get the basics right first.

I'm sure there will be more questions to come. Thank you in advance for your help

1 Hermanns Tortoise - Hettie
GemJam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2016, 12:08 AM   #2
JerryMaffz
Incubating

I used Topsoil/Sand/Gravel at a 3:2:1 ratio in Jerry's outdoor enclosure. He's only 2 this year and his enclosure isn't overly large so it was do-able, still hard work though. One thing I would recommend is adding Limestone flour to the mix. I added 15kg of the stuff to Jerrys enclosure. Any plants growing will now be naturally rich in calcium and some say that Limestone flour also detracts ants.

Testudo hermanni boettgeri 1:0:0 Jerry Maffz

Last edited by JerryMaffz; 14-07-2016 at 12:12 AM.
JerryMaffz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2016, 01:43 PM   #3
Gordon
Adult

Treated decking boards are the way to go unless you are any good at building a brick wall if you bury one in the ground it will stop any digging out unless you nail the wire to the side of it but you might have problems with him getting caught in it with his feet.
The ants won't do any harm but if you feel you need to get rid of them boiling water will kill them off.
Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2016, 07:05 AM   #4
Stellanne
Hatchling

The boundaries of Tort Lodge Gardens are made of railway sleepers. They provide nice 'seating' and a ledge for plants. X X X hugs X X x
Stellanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2016, 11:18 AM   #5
sandy
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by GemJam View Post
Hi everyone!

I am looking at creating my first outdoor enclosure for my 3 year old Hermann's tortoise. I have a large greenhouse and an area approx. 3m square to work with. 2 of the 'walls' are the fence and the third is the greenhouse and the fourth I need to create.

So far I have simply laid down chicken wire and put some soil down. And I have a number of questions to ask.

Firstly what is the best material to use to build the fourth wall? I realise a lot of people use wood, but I am worried about rotting. And I want to make sure I use a tortoise friendly and durable material.

What soil do you use? So far I have used soil from elsewhere in the garden, but I am concerned I will need something better to be able to grow my torts food and plants. I am using good old wickes top soil to grow her current food in, but a lot of plants don't seem to take to it.

My garden at the moment seems to be full of ants, what do you use to get rid of them? I assume there is nothing particularly tort friendly, she will just have to come back in her tort table. But I want to make sure I use something that won't last too long, so I can put her back outside as soon as possible.

I have looked at the pictures thread and I'm really excited about all the ideas flying around. And I'm yet to make any decisions, as there are so many options. But I want to get the basics right first.

I'm sure there will be more questions to come. Thank you in advance for your help

Weeds need the poorest soil to thrive. And most gardeners grow shrubs in the soil available. You can always add fertiliser to help the soil.

http://groups.yahoo.com/groups/tortoisefriends
sandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2016, 04:48 PM   #6
CherryBrandy
Adult

railway sleepers are great as Stellanne says and decorative also. I use decking or gravel boards and paint them. Try for a lip also them is double secure. sounds good so far ! welcome the pickys, CB
Old 16-07-2016, 07:54 PM   #7
Stellanne
Hatchling

Quote:
Originally Posted by CherryBrandy View Post
railway sleepers are great as Stellanne says and decorative also. I use decking or gravel boards and paint them. Try for a lip also them is double secure. sounds good so far ! welcome the pickys, CB
I topped the railway sleepers with decking.....it give that 'lip' which makes it tricky for torts to climb out. When I first did Tort Lodge Gardens I didn't think seariously about the 'escape' element. I knew torts could climb but didn't think they would add teamwork to the bid to escape.
One night I came home from school fo do a 'shell' count to find one missing. The CCTV showed that two had formed a ladder and one had liberated itself........
Very quickly the anti climbing defences were set up....... X X X X hugs X X
Stellanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2016, 08:55 PM   #8
CherryBrandy
Adult

that all makes sense Stellanne. one of my Horsfields climbed up a nasturtium today and was out in the larger pen. I've got double secure cause you never can tell !! The good thing is when I out him back he went straight to the weak spot...not so clever now my little pecky Horsfield ! CB