Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Off Topic > General Discussion

Old 06-11-2022, 10:59 PM   #1
burnt toast
Adult

Default Weather/ hibernation?

What are people up to? How are your torts? Such a strange year weatherwise. Some of my torts are settling into wind down but I have snap dragons and evening primrose flowering, its odd.
burnt toast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2022, 11:32 PM   #2
Yvonne G
Hatched

My brumaters are having a hard time understanding the cold-one-day-warm-the-next-day weather. I don't normally have to stop offering food, as they just stop on their own, but this year I've had to stop feeding them. They're usually asleep by the end of October, but they're still awake.

All my plants are put away in the greenhouse and the tortoises are safely tucked away in their brumating shelters, but I had to physically do it. They didn't do it on their own.
Old 07-11-2022, 09:26 PM   #3
tortydat
Sub Adult

All my hibernators are tucked up in their boxes and luckily have settled down well. When I check back on the dates they went down over the last few years they only vary by a week or so despite the mild weather.
tortydat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2022, 09:15 AM   #4
sandy
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by tortydat View Post
All my hibernators are tucked up in their boxes and luckily have settled down well. When I check back on the dates they went down over the last few years they only vary by a week or so despite the mild weather.
Tortoises know what they are doing:0)

http://groups.yahoo.com/groups/tortoisefriends
sandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2022, 08:36 PM   #5
CherryBrandy
Adult

yes mine are well all asleep and in boxes but free to move around open eyes - none have and the girls in the greenhouse have buried so I have left them - it was t shirt weather here today. really lovely and plenty of weeds !!
Old 15-11-2022, 10:30 PM   #6
Kirkie
Adult

I’ve had a couple of box turtles out and about in the garden still in the last week, they have a big, glazed tortoise shed but these were out in the open. My Hermanns tortoises have finally dug in in their cold frames so I’ve moved them into my insulated shed to hibernate. Going to be a short hibernation this year.

I’ve moved into keeping some non hibernating tortoise species this year, gives me something to over the winter.

Last edited by Kirkie; 15-11-2022 at 10:36 PM.
Kirkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2022, 12:17 AM   #7
burnt toast
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirkie View Post
I’ve had a couple of box turtles out and about in the garden still in the last week, they have a big, glazed tortoise shed but these were out in the open. My Hermanns tortoises have finally dug in in their cold frames so I’ve moved them into my insulated shed to hibernate. Going to be a short hibernation this year.

I’ve moved into keeping some non hibernating tortoise species this year, gives me something to over the winter.
Interesting Dave what have you had?
burnt toast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2022, 12:28 PM   #8
Kirkie
Adult

I was very lucky to be given a group of Testudo Kleinmanni earlier in the year and more recently I was given a group of Malacochersus tornieri.

Egyptian tortoises and Pancake tortoises, two very different prospects. The Egyptians are the daintiest little things and the pancakes are bulldozers determined to eat me out of house and home.
Kirkie is offline   Reply With Quote