Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Tortoise Health and Vets

Old 11-10-2010, 09:19 PM   #11
yuna1971
Adult

Bindi - ditto.
I have advised a few people on exactly this and it has worked both times.
Jackie, I think the first thing to try is getting some more light in that enclosure. I agree with Bindi - it does look a little dark.
What you could try is when you get the ceramic heater, then maybe get him a habba log hut - and keep the enclosure hide lid, off. This way - natural light when it comes about, together with your lighting might stir him into action. I think in the enclosed hides - when winter arrives, torts do seem to fight to get up sometimes - due to the fact that its still pitch black in there...and sometimes when they are right in the corner, they probably are not very aware of daylight!
I would try adding an additional strip. The one below is the one I have and works for me. I also recommend it to lots of owners with this sort of problem. You will need to get another starter. You can get the same size as the one you have now, is that one 24inches or 18?? And a starter to go with.
Dont confuse this with another full pelt UVB strip. The strip below does have UV but is very little. Its main purpose is to provide light. This one below has full spectrum UVA light which I find they do like.
http://reptilekeeping.co.uk/exo-terr...151-p-604.html
(they also sell the 18inch ones) Starters can be bought from the S Warrior shop.
BTW - is that a spider plant I see in the pic?
Edible by the way, and they will be fine if you forget to water. You could weather that outside for a couple of weeks and then plant in his table. Just in case you didnt know.
Mine has really grown massive, Lily loves it. xx

Lily's Movie.
http://www.shelledwarriors.co.uk/for...ad.php?t=68025
yuna1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 09:19 PM   #12
Bindi
Super Moderator
Adult

Well, some might say that as you've not had him long,it would be better not to hibernate him, and to be honest that's what i would advise if anyone were to ask me

If it was my tort though, and he had shown no signs of ill health, I would follow the normal wind down proceedure and then give him a shortish hibernation of 8-10 weeks, and if all was going well, extend that to 12 weeks.
Have you looked into hibernation? Have you anywhere suitable to do it?
Old 11-10-2010, 09:21 PM   #13
yuna1971
Adult

Habba huts, something like this. Also those decorative ceramic half pots could work.
http://reptilekeeping.co.uk/zoo-med-...nt-p-1130.html

I really think the light is the factor. Keep an eye on the ambient room temp too.
xx

Lily's Movie.
Old 11-10-2010, 09:30 PM   #14
ziggy's owner
Adult

I brought mine from the garden centre lol and planted in my table and they was gone in a hour lol sob sob they ate them I thought ace they ain't keen on the smell/ taste but noooo they had to eat it lol

2.0.0 spur thighs
2.3.0 hermanns
2.1.1 marginated
0.0.4 leopard
2.8.0 guinea pigs
1.2.0 Springers
1.0.0 hamster
0.0.1 Blue Tongue skink
2.2.0 Beardies
And tropical fish
Also have baby marginated tortoises for sale
ziggy's owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 09:34 PM   #15
JackieL
Sub Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by yuna1971 View Post
Bindi - ditto.
I have advised a few people on exactly this and it has worked both times.
Jackie, I think the first thing to try is getting some more light in that enclosure. I agree with Bindi - it does look a little dark.
What you could try is when you get the ceramic heater, then maybe get him a habba log hut - and keep the enclosure hide lid, off. This way - natural light when it comes about, together with your lighting might stir him into action. I think in the enclosed hides - when winter arrives, torts do seem to fight to get up sometimes - due to the fact that its still pitch black in there...and sometimes when they are right in the corner, they probably are not very aware of daylight!
I would try adding an additional strip. The one below is the one I have and works for me. I also recommend it to lots of owners with this sort of problem. You will need to get another starter. You can get the same size as the one you have now, is that one 24inches or 18?? And a starter to go with.
Dont confuse this with another full pelt UVB strip. The strip below does have UV but is very little. Its main purpose is to provide light. This one below has full spectrum UVA light which I find they do like.
http://reptilekeeping.co.uk/exo-terr...151-p-604.html
(they also sell the 18inch ones) Starters can be bought from the S Warrior shop.
BTW - is that a spider plant I see in the pic?
Edible by the way, and they will be fine if you forget to water. You could weather that outside for a couple of weeks and then plant in his table. Just in case you didnt know.
Mine has really grown massive, Lily loves it. xx
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bindi View Post
Well, some might say that as you've not had him long,it would be better not to hibernate him, and to be honest that's what i would advise if anyone were to ask me

If it was my tort though, and he had shown no signs of ill health, I would follow the normal wind down proceedure and then give him a shortish hibernation of 8-10 weeks, and if all was going well, extend that to 12 weeks.
Have you looked into hibernation? Have you anywhere suitable to do it?
Quote:
Originally Posted by yuna1971 View Post
Habba huts, something like this. Also those decorative ceramic half pots could work.
http://reptilekeeping.co.uk/zoo-med-...nt-p-1130.html

I really think the light is the factor. Keep an eye on the ambient room temp too.
xx
Cheers guys.

Tomorrow I will get him up, remove that lid and get some additional light in there. Thank you for the links and suggestions. It is very dark in that bedroom area, too dark me thinks !

I don't really want to hibernate him, not until I feel more confident with it all. I do have a suitable place he could go in, I just don't want to do it with only having had him a few months.

Tomorrow will be lighter ! I will post some pics and let you know.

Cheers.

JackieL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 10:16 PM   #16
yuna1971
Adult

Happy to help Jackie, I overwinter Lily so feel free to ask anything you want. xx If I can help I will or if not, pop up a post. xxx The website is very very good. I get alot of my stuff from them and the owner is very good with regards to set ups. The delivery time is also very good.
Of course....SW Shop is also good. xx

Lily's Movie.
Old 15-10-2010, 06:08 PM   #17
Bindi
Super Moderator
Adult

How is your tort doing Jackie?
Old 15-10-2010, 09:04 PM   #18
ziggy's owner
Adult