Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Mediterranean Tortoises - Information & Questions

Old 03-12-2016, 11:36 PM   #1
Reala
Egg

Default Too hot with Arcadia D3, what alternative?

Hi all,

I have a 3ft x 2ft vivarium for a tortoise (they are the small Hermans tortoise which grow to about 6 inches (I saw the adult tortoises). I put a 100w D3 in an old bearded dragon viv I had, took out the glass and built the side up a bit, but annoyingly the basking area is way too hot (42 degrees).

The reason is that the bulbs are so big so they are only about 10 inches from the ground. I'm guessing the 80w bulb wouldn't make much difference, as it seems the width that is increased as opposed to the actual temperature (i.e. coverage - so there would still be a 42 degree spot).

My alternative now seems to be to get a UV strip and a normal spot light. What temperature should I be aiming for in the actual basking spot as I max? Around 32 degrees?
Reala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 07:29 AM   #2
Alan1
Super Moderator
Adult

I take it you can't go any higher with the bulb? About 32-34c I think is what is considered okay but tortoises are not daft and will move away if it's too hot but of course they then will not be getting the best of the UV. However, if it's too hot at the basking spot then quite often it will be too hot in the rest of an enclosed area which should ideally have a gradient ranging from about 34c at the hot spot down to maybe 25 or 22c at the cool end.
Alan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 08:25 AM   #3
Reala
Egg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan1 View Post
I take it you can't go any higher with the bulb? About 32-34c I think is what is considered okay but tortoises are not daft and will move away if it's too hot but of course they then will not be getting the best of the UV. However, if it's too hot at the basking spot then quite often it will be too hot in the rest of an enclosed area which should ideally have a gradient ranging from about 34c at the hot spot down to maybe 25 or 22c at the cool end.
Firstly, thank you so much for replying =)

Sadly not as the tank has a lid >.<

That's a good point, I guess I will need to just suck it up and pay for the new equipment - doh! :P I was so happy when I got the Arcadia light for £30 too lol.
Old 04-12-2016, 08:45 AM   #4
sandy
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reala View Post
Hi all,

I have a 3ft x 2ft vivarium for a tortoise (they are the small Hermans tortoise which grow to about 6 inches (I saw the adult tortoises). I put a 100w D3 in an old bearded dragon viv I had, took out the glass and built the side up a bit, but annoyingly the basking area is way too hot (42 degrees).

The reason is that the bulbs are so big so they are only about 10 inches from the ground. I'm guessing the 80w bulb wouldn't make much difference, as it seems the width that is increased as opposed to the actual temperature (i.e. coverage - so there would still be a 42 degree spot).

My alternative now seems to be to get a UV strip and a normal spot light. What temperature should I be aiming for in the actual basking spot as I max? Around 32 degrees?

How big is the viv?
If it were me, I would try to get an open topped enclosure, which are better for med tortoises. They have much better air circulation.
Then the heat problem should not happen, provided any enclosure viv or open topped is large enough:0)

http://groups.yahoo.com/groups/tortoisefriends
sandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 12:37 PM   #5
Ozric Jonathan
Adult

Hi there Real and welcome.

I agree an open topped enclosure would be a good idea but the 80 watt would produce less heat than the 100 watt if the lamp was at the same height. The 80 watt, I think, was designed to be used inside a viv.

I have a couple of vivs that I removed the top and the glass from and part of the front as well. I've got a lamp hanging from a lampstand and it works really well. I use these for babies only. I have an arcadia D3uv+flood lamp for uv and a halogen for heat. Being able to raise and lower the basking lamp is needed I find except when using a thermostatically controlled basking lamp.
Old 04-12-2016, 06:56 PM   #6
Reala
Egg

I wanted to say thank you to everyone who dived on to this thread to provide advice. Because I was limited with local reptile shops open on a Sunday, I decided to repair my vivarium to how it was before I made the side higher and took out the glass, purchase a UV strip and a 70w bulb (I already had a temperature control, so it was just £20 + £4 = £24 extra).

The temperature in the basking spot is 32degrees currently. The viv is 3ft x 2ft, but the sub-species of Hermans I have (hermanni hercegovinensis) is only expected to get to 5inches to 6inches (if they grow to the same size as their parents), so they are currently really small (3 & 1/2 months old).

Just a note: Being new to this, I'm obviously having to rely on the information given to me by the seller when it comes to sub species. He seemed friendly and knowledgeable enough, and was able to show me the parents and other Hermann babies hatched at the same time - which were indeed significantly bigger.

When my bearded dragon wakes up I will move him back into the viv the tortoises are currently borrowing and buy a turtle table - as seems to be the most commonly suggested way forward by most above

I'll be sure to stick around to learn and talk more - this place seems fantastic
Old 05-12-2016, 11:38 AM   #7
Alan1
Super Moderator
Adult

I'm not sure that they only grow to 5 or 6 inches, I think it will be bigger than that but someone else will know better than me. By the way, once you have made 5 posts they will no longer have to be approved before being seen by everyone.
Old 05-12-2016, 11:46 AM   #8
sandy
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reala View Post
I wanted to say thank you to everyone who dived on to this thread to provide advice. Because I was limited with local reptile shops open on a Sunday, I decided to repair my vivarium to how it was before I made the side higher and took out the glass, purchase a UV strip and a 70w bulb (I already had a temperature control, so it was just £20 + £4 = £24 extra).

The temperature in the basking spot is 32degrees currently. The viv is 3ft x 2ft, but the sub-species of Hermans I have (hermanni hercegovinensis) is only expected to get to 5inches to 6inches (if they grow to the same size as their parents), so they are currently really small (3 & 1/2 months old).

Just a note: Being new to this, I'm obviously having to rely on the information given to me by the seller when it comes to sub species. He seemed friendly and knowledgeable enough, and was able to show me the parents and other Hermann babies hatched at the same time - which were indeed significantly bigger.

When my bearded dragon wakes up I will move him back into the viv the tortoises are currently borrowing and buy a turtle table - as seems to be the most commonly suggested way forward by most above

I'll be sure to stick around to learn and talk more - this place seems fantastic
These tortoises can grow lager than that.
Its the Hermani hermani that are the smaller hermans species.
You might be lucky and the tortosie stays small, but be prepared for him/her to get bigger.
What is your tortoises weight now, and how old?

http://groups.yahoo.com/groups/tortoisefriends
sandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 05:49 PM   #9
Reala
Egg

Quote:
By the way, once you have made 5 posts they will no longer have to be approved before being seen by everyone.
That'll be nice :P

Quote:
These tortoises can grow lager than that. Its the Hermani hermani that are the smaller hermans species.
I'm not too worried about what size they grow, I'll just need to keep on my toes in terms of upgrading the vivarium to a table if they hit a growth spurt. I'm not sure how much they weigh currently, I will have to weigh them and see when I get home =)

---

The person I got them from said I should expect them to be a bit grumpy for a few days due to tortoises not liking change. They seem keen to just walk into the corner and stay there rather than walk about at the moment (although they seemed fairly active in the viv of the guy I picked them up from). Is this normal and how long do you think it'll be until they feel more relaxed and comfortable? I don't want them to feel stressed for too long.
Old 05-12-2016, 10:29 PM   #10
Alan1
Super Moderator
Adult

it could be a few days or even weeks. this time of year it's hard to know if they are just not liking change or if they are going into hibernation