Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Edible Weeds, Diet & Suppliments

Closed Thread

Old 10-07-2007, 02:03 PM   #1
Graham1
Egg

Default Pretty Pets tortoise food

Hello
When I got my most recent Spur thighed from a great couple who had bred him in South Wales they gave me a bag of food called "Pretty Pets" tortoise sticks they love them, I soak them for a few minutes and put them with there dandelions brocolli or whatever they are having, anyway I live in the West Midlands (West Bromwich) and wondered if anyone new of a local retailer?

Many thanks
Graham
Old 10-07-2007, 02:11 PM   #2
Henry-flash
Adult

Send a message via MSN to Henry-flash

I would advise agaisnt feeding them, they are high in protein, which isn't good for tortoises. Also don't feed brocolli. Their diet should consist of mixed weeds and flowers. There is a great weed list at www.tortoises.net and also some pointers in the weed section here.

The North West Tortoise Group
Old 10-07-2007, 02:20 PM   #3
Pussygalore
Adult

this subject came up in the chatroom recentley and several members agreed that it was ok to feed pellets occasionally as long as the main diet is based on weeds and wild flowers etc I myself give a few to my hermans once in a blue moon but my adults won,t touch them but mine have outside access all day everyday and usually don,t get anything else, the closer the diet is to what they would naturally find the better.
Old 10-07-2007, 03:18 PM   #4
egyptiandan64
Super Moderator
Adult

In my experience Testudo don't do well on a diet that has a protein level of more then 5% overall. I wouldn't and don't feed pellets to my Testudo. Pellets though are just fine for omnivorous species, like Redfoots, Yellowfoots, Elongated and Hingebacks, as a small portion of their diet.

Danny
Old 10-07-2007, 03:20 PM   #5
sarah
Administrator
Adult

Hello, i live in walsall so not far. The way i see it is, they would not come accross them in the wild and there are plenty of weeds out there.

STRUGGLING TO FIND WEEDS? LOOK AT OUR DRIED WEEDS 'READY TO FEED'

Home of 'Grow Your Own Food' Bearded Dragon, Tortoise, Rabbit, Hamster seed mixes from 89p FREE POST
Livefood, Thermostats, Housing, Heating, Mercury Vapour bulbs, UVB etc etc CHEAP PRICES
TORTOISES ARE MY PASSION
Old 10-07-2007, 04:39 PM   #6
EJ
Adult

Most of the pelleted diets are the same. I wouldn't be surprised if they all came from the same original source. I believe pretty pets is based in the US but I know T-Rex has a very good well thought out diet.

Dan, I can't help but wonder where you got 5% from. If you fed an all plant based diet it would have to be higher than that. It just doesn't make sense. Vertebrates are made up of mostly protein. Cells die everyday and need to be replaced. Then you have to factor in normal growth on top of cell replacement.

My russians, Goldens and Egyptians thrive on Mazuri Tortoise diet. Since feeding the stuff I have zero problems with excessive urates. (which, in itself, should make you wonder about the protein content.)
and
http://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/284442591651347/
Trying to keep the fun in Chelonian care
Old 10-07-2007, 05:31 PM   #7
Pussygalore
Adult

if you really want to buy them I,ve seen them on ebay
Old 10-07-2007, 05:36 PM   #8
sarah
Administrator
Adult

Please do not go and buy them they are just not natural plently of natural fresh weeds around, why waste money.

STRUGGLING TO FIND WEEDS? LOOK AT OUR DRIED WEEDS 'READY TO FEED'

Home of 'Grow Your Own Food' Bearded Dragon, Tortoise, Rabbit, Hamster seed mixes from 89p FREE POST
Livefood, Thermostats, Housing, Heating, Mercury Vapour bulbs, UVB etc etc CHEAP PRICES
TORTOISES ARE MY PASSION
Old 10-07-2007, 05:48 PM   #9
wizzasmum

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarah
Hello, i live in walsall so not far. The way i see it is, they would not come accross them in the wild and there are plenty of weeds out there.
Exactly Sarah and why would one want to feed them even as part of the diet when weeds are so freely available? These pellets have so many additives and are highly addictive so would eventually lead some torts to leave the weeds anyway. Feeding prepared rubbish like this is a human thing. Personally I would rather have a good salad anyday to a plate of soemthing out of the microwave or supermarkeet shelf.

Old 10-07-2007, 05:50 PM   #10
wizzasmum

[quote="EJ"]Most of the pelleted diets are the same. I wouldn't be surprised if they all came from the same original source. I believe pretty pets is based in the US but I know T-Rex has a very good well thought out diet.

Dan, I can't help but wonder where you got 5% from. If you fed an all plant based diet it would have to be higher than that. It just doesn't make sense. Vertebrates are made up of mostly protein. Cells die everyday and need to be replaced. Then you have to factor in normal growth on top of cell replacement.

Exactly - plants contain plenty of natural protein in the correct ratio for torts.

Closed Thread