Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Housing

Old 12-01-2015, 11:49 AM   #1
Ksolo
Egg

Default table size

Hi all

would a 3x2 table be big enough for a single hermanns that is 2 years old. He isn't that big but I would upgrade the table once he outgrew it. Roughly how long would this size table last him? some say this size is ok for life? I wouldn't of thought so?
Ksolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 01:05 PM   #2
Mighty_Quinn
Hatchling

I think for 2 years maybe more would be fine, it totally depends what you are happy with! My little one was in a 3x2 converted drawer for 2 years and then in summer last year I converted a toddlers bed into a tortoise table which is huge considering Quinns Straight Carapace Length (SCL) is only about 7cm - he is 4 this year i think. Pictures of my conversion are in Quinns folder in the Pictures section.
Old 12-01-2015, 02:46 PM   #3
emma_mcraf
Adult

Personally I would have said a minimum of 4x2 would be better. It would certainly last a lot longer and you wouldn't have to replace it for a few years.

It all depends on what space you have for a table. If you have the space for a larger one, you can always partition it off and have a smaller area for when he's little to keep him warm and cosy and then lift the partition as he grows, providing him with a bigger table, but without you having to worry about upgrading. All you need to make sure is that the table has plenty of light and a nice temperature gradient.

Testudo Hermanni 5.12.2:Theo, Tamara, Tabitha, Harriet, Isabelle, Clara, Oscar, Hugo, Oliver, Florence, Arabella, Esmé, Aurelia, Felicia, Claudia, Atticus, Celestia, Amaris, Tristan and Clementine
Budgies: Jasper, Ivo, Otis, Henry, Louie and Luca
Doggies: 1.1.0 Chester and Lottie

emma_mcraf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 05:25 PM   #4
Ksolo
Egg

I don't know what to do as the tortoise I like is in a petshop I asked where he came from Macedonia I have just googled it and it seems to be a big farm obviously I don't want to support encourage this. hes in a glass vivarium

I am thinking what is the best thing to do as I am quite fond of the little fella
Old 12-01-2015, 05:37 PM   #5
veggie86
Incubating

Buying from a pet shop just isn't worth the risk. Buy a healthy tort from a UK breeder x

1 husband, 5 dogs, 1 cat.....and Iberas Pickles, Poppy and Pip
veggie86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 05:51 PM   #6
emma_mcraf
Adult

The Tortoise Protection Group often have males for rehoming. You do need to have your indoor and outdoor set-up ready though so you can send photos of what you can provide before applying to rehome.
Pet shops aren't the best place to buy a tortoise.

Testudo Hermanni 5.12.2:Theo, Tamara, Tabitha, Harriet, Isabelle, Clara, Oscar, Hugo, Oliver, Florence, Arabella, Esmé, Aurelia, Felicia, Claudia, Atticus, Celestia, Amaris, Tristan and Clementine

Old 12-01-2015, 08:49 PM   #7
Ksolo
Egg

Yeah I know they aren't I tried saying a table would be kinder, but they know best, don't I know heat rises etc, yeah of course a tortoise sits on the sun dosen't it silly me lol
Old 12-01-2015, 09:15 PM   #8
emma_mcraf
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksolo View Post
Yeah I know they aren't I tried saying a table would be kinder, but they know best, don't I know heat rises etc, yeah of course a tortoise sits on the sun dosen't it silly me lol
A lot of pet shops try to sell the wrong substrate and don't take kindly to 'suggestions'. Half the time the species of tortoise is spelt incorrectly. At least you tried to suggest things to them but I rather expect it went in one ear and out the other.

Good luck as you do your research, set up your table and start looking for a tortoise to rehome. You'll get there.

Old 12-01-2015, 09:24 PM   #9
Ksolo
Egg

im thinking of looking for a breeder who isn't too far away and maybe asking if I could visit sometime and get some pointers etc, that way I can be advised by someone who knows what they are doing, I wont give said pet shops my time. I do feel sorry for the tort as he is stressed he nose rubs on the glass viv but if I gave in, I am supporting them so it will either be a rescue or from a trusted breeder.
Old 12-01-2015, 09:38 PM   #10
emma_mcraf
Adult

If you let us know what area of the country you're in we can point you in the direction of a breeder who could give you some pointers, but keep asking for advice here. There's always someone about to offer help.