Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Tortoise Health and Vets

Old 13-08-2010, 03:04 PM   #1
sofi132
Egg

Default Runny Nose Syndrome - leopard tortoise ill after injections

Leopard Tortoise seems really ill after injections - reptile vets?
I have been worried about my tortoise for about a month, she has runny nose syndrome.
She is a very active tortoise and eats loads, but she often blows bubbles of mucus from her nose and her nose is often running, so today I took her to the vets.

The vet had a look at her and gave her a duphafral multivitamin injection and a baytril injection.
He then said that they would need to keep her in a vivarium for 2 days having nebulisation.
They are then going to put a nasogastric tube into her neck and I have to give her baytril oral solution through it every 2 days. I have to take her in on monday.

But when I left I sat down waiting to be picked up from the vets and I looked into my tortoise's carrier cage and she was kind of vomiting out a clear fluid and blowing bubbles. She sat there with her eyes closed and was crying and her face was very moist. I was terrified that she was dying.
It then looked as if she had pushed out her intestines.

I ran back to the vets and told them and I waited for about half an hour to be seen again.
Eventually the vet saw us and he said that the foaming was just the runny nose syndrome, but she had never had it that bad before. He said it could have been because of having to force open her mouth to have a look. But last year when I took her to the vets she was fine.

I'm really worried that shes had a bad reaction to the injection. Do you think shes in pain from the injection? She looks so ill and lethargic. Shes just sitting there under the heat lamp, blowing bubbles out of her nose and she has her eyes closed but shes crying.

As for the intestine thing, it turns out she is a he. Even though the vet told me last year he was a she. He had been showing his male parts.. He did that twice. Do you know why he did this?

I'm so worried about him, I don't want to lose him.

My questions are,
1. Is it possible he could have had an allergic reaction?
2. Why did he show his male parts?
3. Did the needle hurt (he was injected in the area around the neck, the saggy bit the covers the entrance to the shell)? Could he still be in pain?
4. Is he going to be ok?

Its just every ill pet I've had, when they've had treatment, they've died.
I wish I never took him to the vets, he was (almost) fine before.
sofi132 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2010, 04:08 PM   #2
Helen M
Adult

Send a message via MSN to Helen M
Wink

I have heard of tortoises having reactions to injections before. Who is her vet? Are they a recommended tortoise vet?

Helen xx
Helen M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2010, 04:16 PM   #3
helen1
Sub Adult

I am not a leopard keeper but seem to recall baytril is not recommended for leopards...please wait for someone more knowledgeable to comeon
Old 13-08-2010, 05:31 PM   #4
Evie
Sub Adult

My questions are,
1. Is it possible he could have had an allergic reaction?
2. Why did he show his male parts?
3. Did the needle hurt (he was injected in the area around the neck, the saggy bit the covers the entrance to the shell)? Could he still be in pain?
4. Is he going to be ok?

Hello and welcome to Shelled Warriors.

Firstly I think that having a tube inserted unless a tortoise is very ill and cannot eat and drink themselves is very distressing but if that is the only way he will take it then fair enough.

Yes it could well have been a reaction of some kind and therefore I would avoid any further doses of that medication. I am guessing that a reaction would occur within the first few minutes - monitor him over the next few hours - keep him warm and hydrated.

It is not unusual for them to be lathargic after antibiotics anyway and yes I would think that administering the injection into that particular site would be sore.

I have always found that daily baths and flushing the nares with a DILUTED F10 solution works well for RNS.

I have used nebulisers as well.

There are other a/bs for RNS - my leopard did really well on marbocyl she had a combination of injection and then orally - she is a very good eater so it was not difficult to get oral a/bs into her without the aid of a tube.

Try not to worry too much - they are quite resiliant little things.

I am sure Danny will be online later and will give you some excellent advice.

Last edited by Evie; 13-08-2010 at 05:33 PM.
Evie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2010, 09:09 PM   #5
SeeShell
Adult

Sorry to hear that Sofi. I'm afraid I don't know too much about leopards but I did think Baytrill wasn't a suitable antibiotic to give them. Hopefully someone will come along soon who keeps them and will give you more detailed advice. Hope she picks up soon.
SS
SeeShell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2010, 09:21 AM   #6
samstar
Hatchling

Just to add my 2 cents here, both my Stars had RNS and both were treated with Baytrill nebulisation with no adverse effects at all but still the the bubbles after 2 doses of antibiotics, the RNS was basically clear bubbles every now and than so my vet said not to give anymore antibiotics becuase the antibiotics would have already killed the virus if there were any and also they were eating very well, hence an allergy, perhaps to the carpet or weather. So I just made sure they got their warmth from the UVB/UVA bulb, fed them more hibiscus, soaked them regularly 3 times a week and today they are perfectly fine. The vet also mentioned that if they are eating fine and active than let them be and that their imune system will build up and fight the virus if there's any. Sometimes it's not necessary that clear bubbles means RNS, it could just be an allergy like we humans also get. If a room is dusty, we sneeze and it's the same with our little loved one's.
On another note, my Radiated Tortoise was given a vitamin shot next to her rear legs and she was fine so I would look for another vet just to get a second opinion. Sorry did you say 2 days nebulisation? That's something I have never heard of.
samstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2010, 10:18 AM   #7
Kirkie
Adult

Hi Sofi,

You've repeated almost word for word a description of an alergic reaction to Baytril described in an article by Andy Highfield of the Tortoise Trust. It can be difficult second guessing a vet but I'd have to say that further Baytril is not appropriate for this individual tortoise. Hope he's well soon.

"This simple treatment is continued for a week or two after symptoms have disappeared to prevent relapse. Whilst on the subject of antibiotics, bear in mind that some tortoises (Leopard and Cape angulate tortoises in particular) can be allergic to Baytril. Most allergic responses are vomiting and/or frothing at the nose and mouth. If, of course, the results of the test come back indicating that a different antibiotic is required, you should switch over immediately. Cortisone should never be used as it suppresses the immune system of an already compromised animal."

Last edited by Kirkie; 16-08-2010 at 10:20 AM.
Kirkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2010, 10:39 AM   #8
sofi132
Egg

Thank you all very much for your replies

My tortoises is eating, but not as much as he used to.
I'm going to give him a bath later just to make sure the baytril is out of his system. The vet is meant to be calling back soon, and I will ask about marbocyl. Thank you all so much for your help, I will keep you updated

Sofi.
Old 16-08-2010, 10:48 AM   #9
sofi132
Egg

Thank you all for your replies, my tortoise is looking better, and Im going to ask the vet about trying marbocyl. He is more active than he was a couple of days ago, but still isnt eating as much as he used to. He is eating though, which is good.

Thank you so much for your support, I will keep you updated.
Old 16-08-2010, 03:02 PM   #10
shellonia
Sub Adult

Glad he's looking better and you are keeping him warm day and night while he is on treatment?
I know how horrific it is to see an allergic reaction to baytril-one of my hermanns can't tolerate it.
I do hope the vet is familiar with reptiles or it may help if you could find someone a bit more knowledgeable in your locality.Good luck
shellonia is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
injections, leopard tortoise, rns, runny nose syndrome