Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Non Med Species - Information & Questions

Old 22-09-2012, 09:56 PM   #11
Sophiejn
Egg

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocio View Post
I bathe mine twice a day. When they start their day and then when I bring them in at night. They lie in their morning bath for anything from 5 minutes to 20 minutes and usually pee and sometimes poo. The evening bath is shorter, sometimes with a pee and sometimes not. When they are warm and relaxed in their "bed" they often lie asleep with their necks out and their little heads to the side-------happy and comfy I think!!
Okay thanks very much! This put me at ease, and I'll be sure to bathe her more often(:
Sophiejn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2012, 10:17 PM   #12
Neddy
Sub Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynnie Lou View Post
I don't think the humidity is right on the kitchen floor. I know someone else who did that with her Leo and it died recently. Sorry, just saying.
I can assure you Lynnie Lou it would have been more then that......

My leo has a table on the floor in the diner bit of my kitchen and has a ramp into it. (Obviously no table as wanted him to have maximum space). If he is cold he will simply go into his table and bask. The kitchen is always above 16c if it drops below the heating comes on.

He is 6 years old and is active with a healthy appetite. You can't lock a tortoise up in a table when it is 10".

Last edited by Neddy; 22-09-2012 at 10:19 PM.
Neddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2012, 10:19 PM   #13
Evie
Sub Adult

They will naturally slow down more in the winter months anyway - mine are already staying in their bed area longer in the morning and going earlier in the afternoon

Mine are quite big so they are still going outside after they have warmed up - last year they were out on Christmas day !!!
Evie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2012, 10:25 PM   #14
Sophiejn
Egg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evie View Post
They will naturally slow down more in the winter months anyway - mine are already staying in their bed area longer in the morning and going earlier in the afternoon

Mine are quite big so they are still going outside after they have warmed up - last year they were out on Christmas day !!!
Oh okay thankyou, it did seem my tort was a lot more active in the summer so that makes sense(:
Old 23-09-2012, 08:08 AM   #15
Pussygalore
Adult

how big is your table? my young sully had a 6x4ft one with two combined suspended bulbs plus an extra free standing ordinary light, I needed all that to light/heat the table enough, plus the room was always kept at 20c min. My sully was always very active with this set up.
Pussygalore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2012, 10:59 AM   #16
Sophiejn
Egg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pussygalore View Post
how big is your table? my young sully had a 6x4ft one with two combined suspended bulbs plus an extra free standing ordinary light, I needed all that to light/heat the table enough, plus the room was always kept at 20c min. My sully was always very active with this set up.
Not quite sure how big it as, haven't got a tape measure to hand at the moment, but she has more than enough room. I have one UV lamp & one heat lamp, but starting to wonder if I need any other sort of heat source for the winter, as I heard heat mats aren't very good for them..
Old 24-09-2012, 09:27 PM   #17
filardimarg2
Sub Adult

Send a message via MSN to filardimarg2

You could try a ceramic heat emmiter to come on at night.

Marg.

Testudo Hermanni Hermanni...Flo, Dotty & Daisy, all December 2010.
German Shepherd Dog...Kiera.
filardimarg2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2012, 03:18 PM   #18
keg
Egg

My two are quite steady most the time but there both quite young, they eat well and the temperatures are always set correctly. They are quite active in the morning buy by time I get home from work fast on
keg is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cold, exercise, leopard tortoise, winter