Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Mediterranean Tortoises - Information & Questions

Old 05-03-2015, 08:49 AM   #71
Pussygalore
Adult

I think the majority of us think that you should see what you can offer an animal/bird before getting it and if you can't provide what's best then you should rethink about having one. If your circumstances change once you've got the pet ie have to move etc then that's a different thing but if more thought before they buy then there wouldn't be so many pets needing new homes or being dumped. My daughter is a prime example of that they decided on the spur of the moment to get a dog and chose to rehome an older border terrier that hadn't had the best of homes, my daughter and hubby both work full time so the dog was left all day, a few months later they found a better home and moved knowing you couldn't keep a dog there so the poor dog was rehomed .again. Can you imagine how upsetting that must be for an animal and my grandson who is 9 was devasted having become really attatched to the dog, I'm just glad that the dog seems to have now found its permanent home with a loving family where the mum is at home far more, the dog is 10 years old, the first owner used to put it in kennels every weekend while they went to their caravan again where dogs weren't allowed. Millie, the dog had behaviour problems especially with other dogs and I'm not surprised, shes a lovely dog but what a life she's had to put up with all because she didn't fit into people's lifestyle
Pussygalore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 01:14 PM   #72
sandy
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon View Post
Nothing was getting heated sandy I was trying to get something across too but for some reason people couldn't get their heads around it either. There are people out there that can not keep or get their animals outside for various reasons but nobody could seem to grasp this all we got was they must go out !.I personally agree all tortoises will benefit from being outside but in some cases this is not possible is it so instead of jumping in negatively saying there is no such thing as an indoor tortoise we should maybe try and advise people as to the best options for them so they don't think stuff this and we never see them again
Sorry I still think people should have pets suitable to the pets needs not the owners. I would not dream of keeping my tortoises inside all the time. It's not natural for them.
And I would only advise that.
If people ask the should be told the truth, not what they want to hear, to many tortoise grow badly with incorrect husbandry.
They also end up for rehoming when it happens, or when it does not meet the keepers wants.

http://groups.yahoo.com/groups/tortoisefriends
sandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 10:08 PM   #73
Ozric Jonathan
Adult

Whatever I did about hibernation, living where I do there is always part of the year when they have to be indoors. But if I'm honest about it, I think it is just an existence for them.

Trying to put this issue in a positive way, I am delighted every year when I get my hermanns outside and see how they react. I can't prove this but I just know they love it! The enjoyment I get out of just watching them is just huge.
Old 06-03-2015, 08:16 AM   #74
Pussygalore
Adult

I think everyone accepts that torts in this country either have to be hibernated or come inside in the winter but its the owners that get them without having any outside space or don't put them outside for what ever reason in the summer months. Those are the owners that should think hard before getting an animal that does thrive outside during the summer.
Pussygalore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2015, 11:49 AM   #75
geordie mark
Juvenile

Send a message via MSN to geordie mark

I dont see them as anything different too any other animal, My 2 dogs eat the best food and when they get sick of it i change it for them, im not a fan of starving them back onto their food. Variety being the spice of life and that, i would never have got them if i couldnt afford the food and to get them groomed every 2 months, or walk them every day. so really getting a tortoise that can go outside in our climate then not allowing it seems a little sad. Im glad ive always been able too offer this but circumstances change and i lived in a flat for 6 month so the tortoises had to stay at my parents. I dont hibernate my torts though so they always get over-wintered even my hermann gets out for an hour on the better winter days.

T.H.Hercegvenensis 1.0.0
S.P. Babcocki 0.1.0
Chelonoidis Carbonaria 0.1.0 (My Parents)
West Highland White Terrier 1.0.0
Scottish Terrier 1.0.0
geordie mark is offline   Reply With Quote