Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Evolving Husbandry

Old 21-10-2012, 11:14 PM   #1
Fiona88
Egg

Default Feeding weeds

Hi guys,

I've had loads of help from you all since I got my tortoise in May. So here's another question.

I bought some seeds from this website to grow weeds for my tortoise. He's a spur-thighed nearly 18 months old. He's roughly 11cm long. When I grew the weeds some that have been really flourishing are what look like thistles (sorry I'm not 100% sure what it is). Basically what I'm worried about is the fact that these leaves have really sharp spikes on them, which have hurt my finger so I'm worried what they will do to his throat!

When I gave him the first ones I cut all the spikes off but I was told that he would be fine as this is what he would eat in the wild. So this morning I gave him some without cutting it but he's only eaten a little bit, which is weird because he eats everything in sight!

Do you think I should cut the spikes off or just not give him these leaves or do you think that it's fine and I am just overly worrying?

Thanks guys
Fiona
Fiona88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2012, 02:27 PM   #2
Lottey
Incubating

Hi Fiona, I personally would not feed the really prickly thistles, even to the larger tortoises. When mine have eaten some and clearly the spike has caught in the throat, they open their mouths wide and try to get it out/free it.

Fine if they find them planted in the garden so they can tug at them a bit at a time, but not on a plate. I would try and find some smoother ones because they are a great food for them. The smaller leaves can sometimes be softer, I test with my hand also and some of them do hurt!
Lottey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2012, 02:45 PM   #3
Pussygalore
Adult

I suppose it depends on the species I know my sully loved the prickly thistles more than anything else and never had any problems with them, I also would imagine that they would be more likely to find thistles than nice soft greens in their native countries and are more than capable of coping with them. They are tougher than we think.
Pussygalore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2012, 04:22 PM   #4
Suze65
Adult

I would be a bit careful about giving very spikey thistles to very small torts, I usually stick with the smooth thistles. But that's just my opinion.

3 THB, Sammy, Jemima, & Phoebe
7 Marginated, Tabitha, Ptolome, Tatiana, Noah,Lottey, Lulu & Poppy
1 TGG (Emma) RIP Feb 2012
Suze65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2012, 05:26 PM   #5
Merlin M
Adult

if it was a weed mix from the SW shop could it be Milk Thistle?

Mine were ok with the young less spiky leaves... don't really eat the older spikier ones though, unless I were to cut the spikes off I guess...
Merlin M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2012, 07:13 PM   #6
MeImNot
Incubating

By not eating them he's showing you...No Spikes for ME
MeImNot is offline   Reply With Quote