Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Mediterranean Tortoises - Information & Questions

Old 30-03-2014, 03:53 PM   #21
sandy
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pamalu View Post
Yes!!! She looks identical, although I was told that Rupert is 4 - 5 years old.

Ok now about the hay...conflicting advice hahaha. The hay I use is Devon Meadow Hay which is dust free and soft.
Hay is a waste of money for tortoises, as they are cold blooded animals, and the hay makes no difference to them, but it keeps keepers happy:0)
A friend of mine, who kept leopards, lost all four of her leopards through damp hay (they eat it) and mould spores. So in all honesty its best avoided:0) And she is an experienced keeper.

http://groups.yahoo.com/groups/tortoisefriends
sandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2014, 03:56 PM   #22
sandy
Adult

Quote:
How on earth can you tell if it is wild caught or farmed just by looking at it? That's impressive lol. I was told that it came from a breeder, but then I suppose I would be told that wouldn't I? I'd really hate to think that he was wild caught, I don't think I would like that on my conscience.
The smoothness of the shell, and condition of it too.
The white lines around the middle and the scutes, is a sign of faster growth:0)
Petshops will always say they are captive bred, its hard to tell with horsfields as they don't come with paperwork.

Old 30-03-2014, 04:28 PM   #23
Pamalu
Egg

I am totally gutted, if that's true. I would never have bought a wild caught tortoise, I trusted the pet shop owner.

So the faster growth marks...they wouldn't have those in the wild, I gather. So what makes them grow faster? Is it the food that we feed them? The conditions that we keep them in?

I keep looking at the little man now and feeling so guilty.

www.facebook.com/patlucasportraits

www.patlucasportraits.co.uk

Last edited by Pamalu; 30-03-2014 at 05:08 PM.
Pamalu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2014, 06:20 PM   #24
sandy
Adult

Quote:
I am totally gutted, if that's true. I would never have bought a wild caught tortoise, I trusted the pet shop owner.

So the faster growth marks...they wouldn't have those in the wild, I gather. So what makes them grow faster? Is it the food that we feed them? The conditions that we keep them in?

Eating a lot more food than they would in the wild, makes them grow faster. And all of us do this, some more than others.
Making tortoises work for their food, such as scattering the food in the enclosure, they then have to at least look for it, rather than having it plonked in front of them:0)
Missing the odd day of food also helps.
In the wild they have varying temps, so they wont be eating all the time, as sometimes its just too cool to eat. Where as in captivity, we keep them at a constant temperature, so they want the food all the time.

I know we cant mimic they way they are kept in the wild, but I for one, will try my best to do so. My tortoises are outside 24/7 from the middle of April and just feed on the plants there are in their enclosures, so they get no extra food from me. My adults graze on my grass and other plants/weeds growing around. And probably get food from me once a week if that. I have water all around my garden in bird bath tops, where they can drink and bathe as they need too. This is about as wild as I can get. I monitor them all the time, and its surprising what you can learn from them:0)
They are great at telling the weather, if the adults are out early in the morning (they come and go as they please) then I know its going to be good weather.
I always check them in the mornings first thing, or if I have been out all day. Its the first thing I do, but that is about it. I try to let them be, and so far over 34yrs this has worked well.

Old 30-03-2014, 07:04 PM   #25
Pamalu
Egg

Apart from my small birds in cages, my two African Greys, rabbit, hamster and now Rupert all have to look for their food. I scatter food around their houses and make them work for it. The African Greys get food hidden in toys, squeezed into tiny holes that are in perches etc etc. They forage just as they would in the wild. So Rupert might be contained but he will still have to look around for his food. Unfortunately, I can't have him out in the garden 24/7 because I don't have a secure garden, cats, foxes, birds and the occasional kid climbing over the fence looking for their football. I will however have him outside everyday in some sort of enclosure that I can use daily and keep an eye on him but I'll bring him in at night. He's been out today in the sunshine.

Old 30-03-2014, 07:57 PM   #26
Suze65
Adult

Quote:

Don't feel guilty, it's not your fault, but this happens all to often. People come on here thinking they've bought a captive bread tort and they probably haven't or they think it's been hatched in the uk until they check the certificate and realise it been imported. Importing captive bred torts is legal but most people would prefer not to buy imports.

3 THB, Sammy, Jemima, & Phoebe
7 Marginated, Tabitha, Ptolome, Tatiana, Noah,Lottey, Lulu & Poppy
1 TGG (Emma) RIP Feb 2012
Suze65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2014, 08:18 PM   #27
Pamalu
Egg

I know what you are saying Suze but having dealt with a lot of African Greys and seen them wild caught just so that people can have them in their homes, sickens me. I obviously feel the same about any animal or bird. There are enough captive birds and beasts in this Country without bringing in more, the rescues are full of unwanted pets and yes I suppose I should have gone to a rescue but I tried a couple and to be honest they wanted me to sign in blood and then some before they would even do a home visit!

One of my Greys is a rescue, petrified of sticks and perches if you have one in your hand, why? Because the last owner hit her with a stick when she wouldn't do what he wanted, chased her back into her cage with a stick.....the poor darling is 10 years old this year, we have had her for three of those years and she has suffered more than any bird should have. That's why I'm all for rescues and not just buying from pet shops or breeders. I answered numerous ads for tortoises that people were selling but they never got back to me, so I guess they were sold and they never bothered to reply to anybody that asked afterwards.

Well there is nothing that I can do about it now, he's here and he's here to stay, I'm just going to make sure that he has everything that he needs and the best care so that whatever he has been through, will hopefully one day be in the distant past for him. I actually sat and sobbed when Sandy said that he was wild caught. I suppose you don't know for 100% that he is wild caught and we probably will never know but the thought has been put in my head now. I'm gutted.

Old 30-03-2014, 08:40 PM   #28
Suze65
Adult

Pam or are you pat ( I'm not sure ) if you hadn't bought him someone else would, who probably wouldn't take the care that you have to find out how to care for him properly, so you might well have saved him from a miserable life, many torts do live miserable lives. So the cloud has a silver lining, that's you
So spread the word about how and where to buy tortoises , from a good reputable breeder ( there's plenty on here ) not a pet shop.
So cheer up , tell yourself this, this little chap is in a safe place now, and that's good.

3 THB, Sammy, Jemima, & Phoebe
7 Marginated, Tabitha, Ptolome, Tatiana, Noah,Lottey, Lulu & Poppy
1 TGG (Emma) RIP Feb 2012
Suze65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2014, 08:45 PM   #29
egyptiandan64
Super Moderator
Adult

The lighter new growth isn't necessarily fast growth, but just growth in captivity. In the wild the UV they get is much stronger than the UV they either get outside in the UK or under a lamp inside. The higher UV makes the scute material darker.

Danny
Old 30-03-2014, 08:47 PM   #30
Pamalu
Egg

It's Pat lol.

Yeah I know, he could have ended up in a lot worse situation. In a way I'm glad that I've got him because I know he's going to have a good life here and no harm will come to him again.

Thanks for listening, I'm a bit of a wuss when it comes to birds and beasts lol.

I'll have to draw him soon, that'll be a challenge lol.