Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Mediterranean Tortoises - Information & Questions

Old 28-05-2017, 04:00 PM   #21
Paul M
Egg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan W View Post
I hadn't heard about magpies.

What age and weight are your torts. I'm feeling a bit worried as we have plenty of magpies around.
Hi - the one that was injured is very small and slow growing and 4oz- the other two are twice his weight @ 8oz. They are 2-3 yrs old. A magpie appears to have picked him up from enclosure where netting come away dropped him and he was attacked on the garden on his back - wife chased birds away. We realise that the enclosure should have been secure and don't feel great that we could have prevented it. We found the same two magpies pecking the rabbit this morning and chasing him. They are so bold and the injured tortoise has stitches in the remaining back leg which was a bit mangled (and he lost a couple of claws) and peck wounds which needed stitches in front legs. I think Ravens and Magpies are a threat particularly to young torts they can pick up even if a short distance. The other two are too heavy and much more robust but they could still be pecked as a sitting target in the open. Hope yours are okay
Paul M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2017, 04:04 PM   #22
Paul M
Egg

[QUOTE=CherryBrandy;671878]personally I would wait - he is young enough to get those other muscles in the legs moving

Thanks CB - that's exactly what the vet advised and what we will do - he seems okay on grass and is walking although he seems to be almost topping over where he still tries to move the missing limb - it will take time to develop his other leg muscles and we will review next year or two. Yes vet said savlon as well !
Thanks for help
Paul M is offline   Reply With Quote