Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Off Topic > General Discussion

Old 13-11-2017, 09:49 PM   #21
emma_mcraf
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suze65 View Post
I haven't seen the debenhams one yet, I'm largely not impressed much this year.

It is surprising , once Christmas is over, and it comes round quite quickly once we get to September , once it's over how near spring feels and planning for the next summer can begin. Winters not long really .
That sounds so positive. Last winter I felt was the quickest one to pass for some time. Year after year though I find autumn zooms by. I think there's so much going on at this time of year.
The spring seems to be half-winter and the summer can often feel more like spring, so I like autumn as at least you know what you're getting and nothing beats autumn sunshine flooding in through the window.
I have a feeling it's going to be a much colder winter than last year.

The Christmas adverts aren't brilliant but I quite like the end of the Aldi one with the train and Father Christmas - a blend of the Polar Express and that wonderful 'Ho Ho Ho' - some of the adverts seem to forget it's Christmas and lose track in their storylines but then I don't suppose they're meant to be over-analysed but just enjoyed. Yet when you read how much they cost to produce.....

I spent the weekend writing the Christmas cards and wrapped my daughter's birthday presents. I'll have everything wrapped long before December arrives. I like to chuck the cards in the post the first week of December and then that's everyone else dealt with so I can just concentrate on my own little family and then there's no more 'jobs' to do except bake and watch Christmas films and eat....and eat a bit more.

I know some people love to shop on Christmas Eve and don't write or send cards until their decorations are up but that gives me palpitations just thinking about it. I like to get everything prepared in November so that December is just a month of indulgence.

Testudo Hermanni 5.12.2:Theo, Tamara, Tabitha, Harriet, Isabelle, Clara, Oscar, Hugo, Oliver, Florence, Arabella, Esmé, Aurelia, Felicia, Claudia, Atticus, Celestia, Amaris, Tristan and Clementine
Budgies: Jasper, Ivo, Otis, Henry, Louie and Luca
Doggies: 1.1.0 Chester and Lottie

emma_mcraf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2017, 09:47 AM   #22
Suze65
Adult

I will probably have most presents wrapped by the beginning of December, then I can relax and enjoy the festive season. Autumn does rather wiz past and it is so beautiful , but I love spring. It's like an awakening, the birds start to sing again, I love seeing the first bee and butterfly, and the day the swifts arrive back is a special day for me, it really lifts my spirits. When I was a child , we had 3 ponds, and in March I would be down at the big pond every morning before school to see if the first frog spawn had arrived, it was the best time of year for me.

3 THB, Sammy, Jemima, & Phoebe
7 Marginated, Tabitha, Ptolome, Tatiana, Noah,Lottey, Lulu & Poppy
1 TGG (Emma) RIP Feb 2012
Suze65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2017, 03:00 PM   #23
emma_mcraf
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suze65 View Post
I will probably have most presents wrapped by the beginning of December, then I can relax and enjoy the festive season. Autumn does rather wiz past and it is so beautiful , but I love spring. It's like an awakening, the birds start to sing again, I love seeing the first bee and butterfly, and the day the swifts arrive back is a special day for me, it really lifts my spirits. When I was a child , we had 3 ponds, and in March I would be down at the big pond every morning before school to see if the first frog spawn had arrived, it was the best time of year for me.
It sounds like you had a glorious childhood, Suze. How wonderful to have three ponds. I love seeing the swifts too. I loved watching the swifts, swallows and house martens swooping about all summer.

Testudo Hermanni 5.12.2:Theo, Tamara, Tabitha, Harriet, Isabelle, Clara, Oscar, Hugo, Oliver, Florence, Arabella, Esmé, Aurelia, Felicia, Claudia, Atticus, Celestia, Amaris, Tristan and Clementine
Budgies: Jasper, Ivo, Otis, Henry, Louie and Luca
Doggies: 1.1.0 Chester and Lottie

emma_mcraf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2017, 10:01 AM   #24
CherryBrandy
Adult

I do the same with December ! everything ready for the traditional balloon game on 1st dec each year and that marks Christmas (I don't play it anymore though just put them up). I haven't got kids and I loooove Christmas. I think like Suze it marks another season nearer to Spring - which is fantastic and I use to ride my bike to the nearest pond (may have been suzes !!) with my little fishing nets and water bottles and see all the new life. I know now kids can look it up on their ipads but nothing like experiencing it first hand. I still have a little pink fishing / butterfly net !! I still use it !! CB
Old 20-11-2017, 06:47 PM   #25
Jan W
Sub Adult

I love Christmas too but nothing happens until the 1st December. When I was a hard up student I used to buy a Christmas tree on Christmas Eve and carried on when I had money! They were so cheap..... However, I have a husband who loves Christmas and he is banned from putting the tree up too early, but this year I have agreed to 1st December. Feels a bit early, but then I love all the lights when it is getting so dark.

Spring starts 1st January for me. Just a bit lighter and the snowdrops are coming, buds can be seen.
Old 20-11-2017, 09:16 PM   #26
CherryBrandy
Adult

Sounds brilliant ! Somehow when your are hard up it makes it even more special and savoured. I wonder if it will snow this year - doesn't look like it - almost barmy weather ! I will start the pictures 1st December !! There will definitely be massive repeats but as photobucket has ruined it for some many people it will be a Santa blessing to revisit ! CB
Old 20-11-2017, 09:51 PM   #27
burnt toast
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by CherryBrandy View Post
Sounds brilliant ! Somehow when your are hard up it makes it even more special and savoured. I wonder if it will snow this year - doesn't look like it - almost barmy weather ! I will start the pictures 1st December !! There will definitely be massive repeats but as photobucket has ruined it for some many people it will be a Santa blessing to revisit ! CB
I'm looking forward. To lots of repeats of your pictures Clare x
burnt toast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2017, 07:36 PM   #28
CherryBrandy
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnt toast View Post
I'm looking forward. To lots of repeats of your pictures Clare x
Yah ! thank you, very kind I am preparing now i'm over a horrid 4 week cold and bad knee ! all to join in.....!
Old 22-11-2017, 12:13 PM   #29
Suze65
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by CherryBrandy View Post
I do the same with December ! everything ready for the traditional balloon game on 1st dec each year and that marks Christmas (I don't play it anymore though just put them up). I haven't got kids and I loooove Christmas. I think like Suze it marks another season nearer to Spring - which is fantastic and I use to ride my bike to the nearest pond (may have been suzes !!) with my little fishing nets and water bottles and see all the new life. I know now kids can look it up on their ipads but nothing like experiencing it first hand. I still have a little pink fishing / butterfly net !! I still use it !! CB
We are so lucky to have those wonderful childhood memories, those ponds made it very special, I was for ever collecting newts, there were hundreds of them , and loads of frogs, and dragon flys, pond skaters, I spent my life down at those ponds, all summer long, and it was always sunny

And I've decided I like the waitrose add best !

3 THB, Sammy, Jemima, & Phoebe
7 Marginated, Tabitha, Ptolome, Tatiana, Noah,Lottey, Lulu & Poppy
1 TGG (Emma) RIP Feb 2012
Suze65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2017, 06:55 PM   #30
CherryBrandy
Adult

love newts, and dragonflys, slow worms ! worms ! not so much daddy long legs aaargh. frogs fantastic .....I still get such a kick out of ponds and rock pools. It is the simple things in life......... CB