Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Mediterranean Tortoises - Information & Questions

Old 26-11-2015, 11:03 AM   #1
Finsky
Incubating

Default Tortoise's sences

Apologies first..in case I have started this thread in wrong place...couldn't really decide where to post it.

I was wondering...how well is tortoises able to see, hear and smell? Are they really able to recognize their keepers or is it just response to familiar day to day routines?
I can definitely already tell that they can smell cucumber VERY WELL and response to that 'stimulant' is rather rapid.. Proper 'training aid'!
I would be really interested to hear your opinions and if you happen to know some links to some studies or other 'words of wisdom' related to my questions, those would be very welcome too!

I'm in info 'hoovering' mode and have this horrid need to 'know it all'..or at least trying to read it first..
Finsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2015, 02:54 PM   #2
Jan W
Sub Adult

I am not an expert, but my 2 respond to my voice. Also, they will rush for certain flowers or especially if they have a treat of some grated carrot. So assume that could bone sight or smell, but do not know.
Jan W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2015, 02:59 PM   #3
CherryBrandy
Adult

not too good on sight compared to other senses, but smell is quite precise (cucumber always good for a poorly tortoise not eating as can trigger to eat as they can smell it better and hydrates).

hearing is good also - mine can hear the weed bag coming from quite far but sight of me sends them into a frenzy (no comments Gordon!!!).

CB
Old 26-11-2015, 08:11 PM   #4
Hermione15
Egg

I am pretty sure Hermione has good eyesight, because she can see my hand holding a leaf from the other end of her enclosure and rushes to it! And she heads straight for the flowers in a pile of leaves. She also jumps sometimes if I move too quickly! Not sure how good her other senses are though..
Hermione15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2015, 09:02 PM   #5
Ozric Jonathan
Adult

On the sight question, tortoises can see light in the uv spectrum which humans can't. And they see in colour not black and white. My belief is that beyond a few metres their sight in poor though.

Tortoises live on the ground and are very sensitive to vibrations, which is sort of like a sense too.

My belief is that their hearing is poor compared to humans.
Old 26-11-2015, 11:13 PM   #6
Finsky
Incubating

Interesting! Yes of course, they would feel the world with their 'tummies' too. I wonder if the shell itself will kind of add into their senses..maybe it does act like 'hearing horn' or something.
Where is David Attenborough when he is needed!
Finsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2015, 09:03 AM   #7
sandy
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finsky View Post
Interesting! Yes of course, they would feel the world with their 'tummies' too. I wonder if the shell itself will kind of add into their senses..maybe it does act like 'hearing horn' or something.
Where is David Attenborough when he is needed!
Yes they can feel through their shells, if you stroke along the sides, they will sometimes rise up when doing so:0)
But food is the only thing they come towards keepers for:0)
They feel the vibrations of you coming.
Some tortoises will also chase lawn mowers because of this:0)

http://groups.yahoo.com/groups/tortoisefriends
sandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2015, 05:08 PM   #8
Jan W
Sub Adult

Thank you - I was not aware of their feeling of vibrations, so learnt something new. I will keep an eye on the lawn mower too.
Jan
Jan W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2015, 06:29 PM   #9
Stellanne
Hatchling

I think vibrations are a huge factor, but my creep respond very quickly to the rustle of a plastic bag. If I stand a good way from them and shake it they come running. Also if they are in Tort Lodge and I throw in weeds they come out. Cucumber gets them trotting!!! Which makes me wonder about the sense of smell....
Truth is I am not sure vibrations are the key factor......
X x x xhugs x x
Stellanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2015, 08:49 PM   #10
CherryBrandy
Adult

Same as potato header lawn mower killer (did anyone ever see that film - on drunken stupor night I might add , hindsight is a wonderful thing. ) keep torts away from lawn mowers....nasty things! CB